Rock Concerts.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Rock Concerts.

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

It all sounds familiar, NP: I was actually a resident of Aberdeen in early 1963, but still in my nappies------I still am! I often think about the Beatles playing there to an unappreciative crowd whenever I see the Beach Ballroom.

Thanks for clearing up the details.

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Niblet wrote:I attended several of the shows in Frank Zappa's run at the Hammersmith Odeon, 1978. What a line-up Zappa had at the time.
I am massively jealous! That's the one show I wish I'd been old enough to catch - the live recordings are fantastic and I love the Sheik Yerbouti album...

As for best gig...The Fall at Hull University in (I think) 1991. I hadn't heard much from Mark E. Smith beyond a few Peel sessions, but the energy, anger and mumbled lyricism really connected with me at that time. I left feeling on a high. I've seen them since, but that first time is still epic.

My worst gig was in the mid-90s. I went to see Cop Shoot Cop who were supporting Irish rock group Therapy. I'd already decided Therapy were not to my taste (they were sh*t) so had planned to leave after the support. Big Mistake. The lead singer, Andy Cairns, shouted something along the lines of 'Now for some real heavy music, so anyone who's a f*****g p*ssy can f**k off now!' and, catching site of us heading for the exit, began to berate us in uncompromising terms to the amusement of the crowd. The git. Did I mention they were sh*t? :D
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

My wife saw The Beatles in Edinburgh but that was the tour with Mary Wells.
Spencer Davis Group played Airdrie Town Hall to an audience of about 2 dozen, 2 weeks before Keep on Running went into the charts. I wasn't there - typical.
The Stones concert at Greens that I mentioned, I was on the train from Dumfries, where I was working, to Glasgow, for the concert and the Stones were travelling on the same service - in 1st. class. Keith and Charlie passed me on their way from the buffet and I was too gobsmacked to say anything. The show was great.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Paw , my parents have seen the Beatles , and the Stones , not sure where and when i will have to ask them.

I missed seeing Groundhogs , we were on our way to see them in uxbridge when we heard they had cancelled ,walked for miles ended up in a bedsit somewhere in london about fifty people well it seemed like that many , i managed to find a chair to sleep in , lucky i had my great coat as it was freezing!

My loudest concert was queen in the mid 70s when they did keep yourself alive , my ears were ringing for days ,my strangest was probably Tangerine dream at the Royal Albert Hall 76..

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:It all sounds familiar, NP: I was actually a resident of Aberdeen in early 1963, but still in my nappies------I still am!
Did you mean you live in Aberdeen, or...?
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

No, I meant I'm still in my nappies, Swirly---just my warped sense of humour, old son!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I was having a think (not the easiest thing as rust is setting in) and I've remembered some other concerts from years ago. David Bowie - the Spiders from Mars tour in Greens Playhouse and before that, at the London Palladium, Incredible String Band and Fairport Convention on the same bill. Some of us went to a couple of George Melly and the Feetwarmers concerts and they were excellent fun, especially as you were never sure if Mr. Melly could remain upright after his umpteenth wee goldie, or it might have been G&T. With my wife, I've been to some Jools Holland shows and apart from the high standard of playing they were worth it just to see and hear Rico parping away. Does your heart good.
With some friends, I saw Clapton at the Edinburgh Playhouse. It was o.k. but not a patch on the excitement of the Robert Palmer concert which we also saw there.
The Tudor Hotel in Airdrie used to have folk nights and I saw an early incarnation of the Humblebums, Billy Connoly solo and Ali Bain and Mike Wheelans.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Paw: I saw Clapton interviewed on the 2-part George Harrison Arena show on BBC-I-player over the weekend. Good stuff......very diplomatic of old George to 'share' his wife with old Eric like that!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I forgot to mention I saw Bowie at the Milton Keynes Bowl with my wife (she was the Bowie fan not me). I prefer guitar bands. I had Monday and Tuesday off this week and sorted through some stuff - I found this review of the Arthur Lee gig I mentioned going to earlier in this subject.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here's another cutting, this is from Wednesday's Daily Mail. The radio station i've been waiting for. Gold is ok but it just plays the same hits over and over. Absolute 60s looks like it will playing the more rock oriented stuff like Cream, Traffic, Small Faces, Hendrix, Who etc. and I hope plenty of Psychedelia - my favourite music genre.

matrix

Post by matrix »

I take it Steve that you agree Cliff should not get air play?

I also like some of the bands that you mentioned ,and some of Cliffs songs , (Summer Holidays) takes me right back to when i was young.

I suppose if a Radio station wants to aim at a particular audience , then they have to draw the line somewhere.

Lets not forget the likes of Hendrix etc , took a while to reach their peak , having many influences along the way to reach it , maybe Cliff influenced some of them!

What year did you see Bowie?

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Nice to see Absolute 60s getting together with Cliff for some mutual publicity. Cliff promotes his 'new' hits album and Absolute 60s raise their profile a bit. Of course, the story might as well be that TalkSport refuses to play Cliff...

Somebody should use the Peter Pan of Pop's money to set up Absolute Cliff Radio... :D
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I can't remember when I saw Bowie. I was married from 1983 to 1992 so sometime early in that relationship and maybe before we were married. I don't mind Cliff - Devil Woman is a bit rocky. And with the Shadows you have guitar pop. I was hoping Alanultron would reply - haven't heard much from him lately. I wonder what the first record will be played on Absolute 60s? Flowers In The Rain? I'll go onto the Absolute Radio website and see when it starts broadcasting.

There's a free Cliff Richard Christmas cd in Saturday's Daily Mail.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Just remembered another band i have seen in concert a few times , dont laugh!(The Pink Fairies) i thought a couple of you might be interested ,(Uncle Harrys last freakout) on you tube is well worth ten minutes of your life , make sure the volumes up!

You can have a look at the artwork on (Never Never Land album) while you listen.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Do you know a Pink Fairies song called 'Between the Lines', Matrix? It was an early release on the Stiff label if I remember correctly.