Beano and Dandy digital editions launched

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Beano and Dandy digital editions launched

Post by Digifiend »

Posted on the Dandy Facebook page:
Now you can download The Dandy direct to your iPhone or iPad! Get the App now from Apple's Newstand!

The Beano and The Dandy go digital as they become available through apps | The Drum
http://www.thedrum.co.uk
DC Thomson comics The Dandy & The Beano are to introduce a digital subscription which will allow readers to download both titles through Apple’s Newsstand.

big bad bri

Re: Beano and Dandy digital editions launched

Post by big bad bri »

Not for me im afraid,I downloaded some of the free comics to my ipod such as walking dead 1 & detective comics 27 & that is no way to read comics even on the bigger screen of the ipad.Nothing can replace the feel & smell of an actual comic & even if it did catch on or if i got an ipad i would still have to buy the physical copy.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Decoding the patronising PR babble, the app is largely useless except as a frontend for DC Thomson's Newsstand account - which explains exactly how they were planning to give away "FREE! digital editions to all print subscribers!" - and, via the "free issues" (I can guess what's in those), as yet another throwaway "new media" marketing tool which 20th century companies spew out by the thousand when they have absolutely no idea what they're doing.

Digital distribution done with minimum of effort, via the My First Digital Presence portal for terrified publishers. The issues may be "enhanced", but then again we all remember what the new Beano website, in practice, spent all its time being updated with - the digital comics could very well do the same.

Is there any reason why anyone who owned an iPad anyway would want to bother with this app instead of going directly to the Newsstand?

I see they haven't missed the ideal opportunity to make all the advertisements even more annoying.

The prospect of clickable links lends the Dandy's "The future of the Internet has arrived!" ad a somewhat ironic tone in hindsight...
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

My iPad is full of comics. I love reading digital copies of comics old and new. I bought the Strip Magazine digital version for convenience. In fact, I think the iPad renewed my interest in comics as the cost of print editions in comic shops had reached a ridiculous level.

So if The Dandy and Beano digital editions are not nobbled by intrusive advertising, I'll probably download them. I do have a certain nostalgia for walking into a newsagent and buying my weekly copy, but the DCT comics are getting harder to find outside of Tesco.

Speaking of apps, I was rather more excited by the potential for Beano games mooted by DCT/AT New Media a while back. But it's been over a year and nothing has emerged for the mobile market. Maybe the digital editions will lead to a series of interactive apps featuring the likes of Dennis, Roger and Minnie?
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

swirlythingy wrote: Is there any reason why anyone who owned an iPad anyway would want to bother with this app instead of going directly to the Newsstand?
I can think of five obvious reasons. I'm sure there's more:

Convenience, to save looking for a shop that sell the comics.
Lack of storage space in the house.
To read on the move without carrying comics around.
To cut down on waste paper.
And, the most likely reason, because for a lot of kids receiving their entertainment on screen is more natural for them than a paper comic whether we like it or not.

Surely it's an idea that's worth DCT trying to see if it works? Shooting it down as soon as it's out of the gate seems defeatist to me, or am I missing the point you were making?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

No harm in trying this---and it probably is the future---but the technology is still pitifully poor and irritatingly clumsy compared to handling a published item.

This has to start somewhere though: early TV, radio , music recording playback and video technology wasn't that great compared to what we have today. [I don't use mp3 etc for music, as it's still not nowhere as good as hi-fi quality using a proper system at home ]: for the time being, handling paper comics is easier and more enjoyable for me at least.

I'm sure digital comics will be the mainstream medium come time, though, once it becomes more comfortable to read.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Lew Stringer wrote:
swirlythingy wrote: Is there any reason why anyone who owned an iPad anyway would want to bother with this app instead of going directly to the Newsstand?
I can think of five obvious reasons. I'm sure there's more:

And, the most likely reason, because for a lot of kids receiving their entertainment on screen is more natural for them than a paper comic whether we like it or not.

Surely it's an idea that's worth DCT trying to see if it works? Shooting it down as soon as it's out of the gate seems defeatist to me, or am I missing the point you were making?
I think he is referring to DCT Publications being available on Newsstand, Apple's digital publishing shop for the ipad.
What's more interesting is how your only posts these days are ones "shooting down" Swirlythingy.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew has some good points there. The print editions are all well and good, but we all know they're not doing so well recently. The digital versions were definitely worth them trying. They need to increase interest in the comics somehow. They can't stay stuck in the past. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the problem isn't content, it's getting it to the kids. And kids like technology, so maybe they'll prefer reading it on an iPad instead of a traditional paper magazine. I don't have any Apple devices, so I'm sticking to the print versions, but I do hope this new digital version succeeds.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Commando reported increased sales when they went digital, though this was around the same time as the 50th anniversary publicity. Also that comic's small format makes it much better suited to screens, as there's only two panels at once the text is big and readable.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I agree with Digifiend, launching the digital editions is a good step. Certainly, I don't think the problem is the comic content - the Dandy in particular has been fresher and funnier than it has been for many years since the revamp. If this leads to an increase in the circulation of the comics, then that can only be for the better. I don't think D.C. Thomson have much to lose from the digital comics, so it's definitely worth a try.

My one fear is that if all the kids switch to the digital editions, then the print versions might be stopped, which I personally feel would be quite sad. That would still be preferable to no Beano or Dandy at all, though.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

swirlythingy wrote:Is there any reason why anyone who owned an iPad anyway would want to bother with this app instead of going directly to the Newsstand?
Lew Stringer wrote:I can think of five obvious reasons. I'm sure there's more:

felneymike wrote:What's more interesting is how your only posts these days are ones "shooting down" Swirlythingy.
That's not fair, FM. Swirly asked a reasonable question, Lew gave a reasonable and measured response. In what way is that a ''shooting down''?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
felneymike wrote:What's more interesting is how your only posts these days are ones "shooting down" Swirlythingy.
That's not fair, FM. Swirly asked a reasonable question, Lew gave a reasonable and measured response. In what way is that a ''shooting down''?
Indeed. I've just checked my last 30 posts. Only three of which were responses to Swirlythingy, so felneymike is talking complete nonsense. (One was a response to Swirly claiming my work was "rushed". I think I'm entitled to defend myself, no?)

Regarding felmeymike's comment, it never ceases to amaze me how some people can just post such a dig at someone without even bothering to check their facts, perhaps not caring how they portray someone. However, it has reminded me that it was a mistake to come back to this forum, so I suppose it did me some good as a wake up call. :coat:
Last edited by Lew Stringer on 20 Nov 2011, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Its a shame as theres been some really good topics recently like Golden Fun etc..

I'm sure Swirly was not offended by Lews comments at all..and things have been a lot better here...so this comment was not needed and hope you do say sorry to Lew..

back on topic..
It could lead to old Beano's and Dandy being available to read.though personally I'd prefer a computer screen or of course paper..

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:No harm in trying this---and it probably is the future---but the technology is still pitifully poor and irritatingly clumsy compared to handling a published item.

This has to start somewhere though: early TV, radio , music recording playback and video technology wasn't that great compared to what we have today. [I don't use mp3 etc for music, as it's still not nowhere as good as hi-fi quality using a proper system at home ]: for the time being, handling paper comics is easier and more enjoyable for me at least.

I'm sure digital comics will be the mainstream medium come time, though, once it becomes more comfortable to read.
To be honest i dont know how i survived without my ipod & laptop full of mp3 songs i have even downloaded music i would never have bought & have replaced/sold every single cd i owned which in turn replaced my cassetes but i cant see me getting rid of my comics,I got rid of 1000s of american comics about 15 years ago and have regretted it ever since.So I have started buying the black & white essential collections which kind of remind me of reading the old black & white weeklies marvels used to do in the 70s & 80s.
But if i was ever fortunate enough to afford an ipad i would download beano & dandy but i would still buy the physical copies.

intune

Post by intune »

Certainly a welcome development... :)

I'm wishing it was executed better though, making use of the technology. I was very impressed with the Marvel comic app that zooms and animates between the individual frames of the strip. Adjusting depending on the size of the frame.

I found the Dandy/Beano digital versions a little fiddly to read having to constantly double tap and pinch zoom - but, still early days.