Thriller Comics Omnibus edition

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

dreamticket

Thriller Comics Omnibus edition

Post by dreamticket »

I was wondering if anybody here has picked up any of these, and if so what is the quality of the reproduction like? I'm assuming they've been shot from copies of the comics themselves and not the original artwork. It's a lot of book for twenty pounds, but can't make up my mind about buying one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THRILLER-COMI ... 5d312d3409

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Thriller Comics Omnibus edition

Post by Phoenix »

If it is any help, dreamticket, I can tell you that the seller, brywinfred, is the guy who publishes the volume. He used to publish The Comic Journal, the respected magazine devoted to comment and analysis of comics and related matters, which he sold on sometime around the millennium. Take a look at the other items he has for sale and you will see that, just like the Thriller Comics Library - Giant Omnibus edition (vol. 3), they are all brand new. The artwork for all his earliest books was taken from the comics themselves. I know that because he told me so at the time. I would therefore assume that the later ones have been produced the same way.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I would strongly suspect these are unauthorised copies made without the copyright holder's consent (Likely to be DC Comics/Time Warner by now?). So I ordered a couple of them just now, before the listings dissapear!

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

My books came today! The printing is very obviously jpegs which have been scanned from the original comics - it's on a par (size, format and print wise) with the current War/Battle Picture Library reprint books. But the image quality is slightly worse, it's also slightly more 'soft focus' and has grey fuzzy bits where black and white meet.
But for all that the stories are perfectly readadble and the text is clear.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

I think at 20 pounds a shot I'd be better off buying the handful of originals I'm interested in.

I'm surprised these things haven't reappeared in some legitimate form recently. A hardback volume of Sep. Scott's Captain Flame stories to ride on the wave of popularity for all things piratical generated by the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, for example. It wouldn't even have to be high-end. Just a nice modern annual size maybe reprinting a couple of the stories, maybe coloured. Surely quality always sells. Got to worth somebody taking a risk on it?

presterjohn

Post by presterjohn »

I wonder if the ownership of the copyright of these books is so mixed up or even expired that would be fairly easy to get away with making small runs like these. With desk top publishing so available to the average man now I am surprised this kind of thing does not go on more often.