Rock Concerts.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

matrix

Re: Rock Concerts.

Post by matrix »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Do you know a Pink Fairies song called 'Between the Lines', Matrix? It was an early release on the Stiff label if I remember correctly.
I have just had a listen on you tube , i cannot recall that song ,it came out in 76 i might of heard it but remember mostly earlier songs.I saw them mostly with Hawkwind
74/75.

Would i be right in saying that some Punk Rockers would not be out of place listening to that song?Their guitar work is excellent.

You have to give it to the Fairies they played music that appealed i think to quite a wide audience , they mixed it up very well ,their concerts were always lively and good to go to.

Raven

Post by Raven »

stevezodiac wrote:I can't remember when I saw Bowie. I was married from 1983 to 1992 so sometime early in that relationship and maybe before we were married.

Bowie at the Milton Keynes bowl was 1983 - his new commercial incarnation, doing the Let's Dance 'Serious Moonlight' tour. I saw him there, too.

matrix

Post by matrix »

I always felt Bowie was a bit overated , i expect his concerts were good though , as he has always been a showman. Lets Dance , is his best song by a long way for me.

Raven

Post by Raven »

matrix wrote:I always felt Bowie was a bit overated , i expect his concerts were good though , as he has always been a showman. Lets Dance , is his best song by a long way for me.

Do you say that with a good knowledge of his work? His RCA albums were practically peerless of their type - cutting edge, inventive, eclectic, highly creative, and hugely influential - and he must have been the most consistent of his peers, still releasing strong, interesting material (though less consistently) over thirty years after his first hit. Albums like "Heroes", Low, Station to Station, Aladdin Sane, Scary Monsters & Super Creeps, Lodger and Diamond Dogs - just naming a few - still seem as strong and original as ever to me.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Raven i admit i am not an expert on Bowie , or any other artist , it is my personal opinion ,i cannot play a musical instrument (although i did try).I can sing , just , in tune!

I have great admiration for anyone that can play or sing , and i admit Bowie is very talented.I did grow up listening to a lot of his music , mainly friends albums , although i did own Ziggy Stardust , he was very unique and never scared to try something different ,except for a few songs , he didnt do it for me.

As well as Lets Dance ,i also like Space Oddity , Starman , Ashes to Ashes ,and another really good song Fashion.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I have got to go with Raven here. When I was younger, I thought of Bowie as over-rated, but as I have matured in years, I have realised how foolish I was. Bowie's work gets better as you get older. I do prefer his earlier stuff to his later body of work. But I am surprised that you haven't mentioned Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars.

As to my concert experience, I haven't been to many but I did see U2, The Pogues and Run-Rig around 1988/89 at Twickenham when it was the Joshua Tree tour. And I think that is why I haven't been so excited about many more concerts as it was Run-Rig that were the best VFM and not the headline act.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

matrix: the Pink Fairies were accepted among the 'new wave' croed of the late 70s: I discovered them through a compilation album called 'Hits Greatest Stiffs'.

matrix

Post by matrix »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:matrix: the Pink Fairies were accepted among the 'new wave' croed of the late 70s: I discovered them through a compilation album called 'Hits Greatest Stiffs'.
Thats interesting , i must admit i lost track of the Fairies , and other bands , as my tastes changed towards the late seventies , early eighties.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

matrix wrote:he was very unique
Just a small linguistic point, matrix. It makes no sense to describe a person or a thing as very unique. He/It is either unique or he/it isn't. :)

matrix

Post by matrix »

Phoenix wrote:
matrix wrote:he was very unique
Just a small linguistic point, matrix. It makes no sense to describe a person or a thing as very unique. He/It is either unique or he/it isn't. :)
Point taken thankyou Phoenix.