*ADVERTS SPOILER ALERT* #3617 - 7th Jan 2012

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

meherenow

*ADVERTS SPOILER ALERT* #3617 - 7th Jan 2012

Post by meherenow »

Postie has brought our new subs Beano this morning.

Page 35, IBC, full page splash for the next issue:

"Sometimes nutty ( :D )... always bananas!

BANANAMAN starting next week in The Beano!"

And "proper" Bananaman too - not that one out The Dandy these days.

Ooer, is this a sign we're nearing the end of The Dandy this new year? There is still a Desperate Dan advertorial on the preceding page so they are still pushing it.

SPOILER OVER, just thought this was some pretty big news.

Tin Can Tommy

Re: *ADVERTS SPOILER ALERT* #3617 - 7th Jan 2012

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

"proper" Banaman so do you mean John Geering reprints?

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

Sorry, should have been more specific.

It doesn't look like John Geering reprints from the one page splash.

However, what I meant was that it is in the John Geering classic style.

May be reprints, only re-started taking DC Thomson comics after a long absence.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

The Beano finally takes revenge for the theft of Jonah in the 90's!

On a more serious note this could be a Super School tie-in. If the Beano is selling far more than the Dandy there must be plenty of kids who have no idea who this "Bananaman" actually is!

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

It appears they have retconned Bananagirl's relationship to Bananaman. She used to be his neice but according to this advert they are cousins. I just got the comic five mins ago in the post from my subscription.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

meherenow wrote: Ooer, is this a sign we're nearing the end of The Dandy this new year?
No. Let's nobble that theory before it gains legs again.

UPDATE: The latest issues of Dandy and Beano are in the shops TODAY, several days early. (Just bought copies from my corner shop.)

As for more details about Bananaman, Dandy's anniversary etc... I dunno, sorry.
Last edited by Lew Stringer on 31 Dec 2011, 17:01, edited 2 times in total.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Does Bananaman end up in both comics then, or is this a defection?

And about Bananagirl, Super School has never mentioned what relation Bananagirl is to Bananaman - the niece thing is from the Beano website, but would mean that Eric has an unseen sibling. Cousin makes more sense.

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

Lew Stringer wrote:
meherenow wrote: Ooer, is this a sign we're nearing the end of The Dandy this new year?
No. Let's nobble that theory before it gains legs again.

I was only half kidding (honest).

But you are the man to ask Lew, as you drew the lead in strip. Can you shed any light on Bananaman in The Beano - the ad says "starting" which would seem to imply a weekly strip not just a special team up of sorts?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

meherenow wrote:Ooer, is this a sign we're nearing the end of The Dandy this new year? There is still a Desperate Dan advertorial on the preceding page so they are still pushing it.
Far from it. Lew's blog says that they're in full anniversary mode this year, and the 2013 annual will again feature plenty of old characters.
http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2011/12 ... -2012.html
2012 is also the year of two comic anniversaries. 2000AD celebrates 35 years of publication in February and The Dandy notches up a record-breaking 75 years next December. Expect some celebratory treats throughout the year including the return of some classic favourites in The Dandy Annual on sale in the second half of the year.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I got my Beano sub today my first one!!

when does the Dandy arrive?

Its drawn by Nigel P
Bananaman..
I hope Nigel is also drawing for The Dandy as well..

Billy Whizz is the retro page.. :)

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

This seems odd, given that there's no evidence to suggest that Bananaman is going to stop in the Dandy any time soon, and I think it's unprecedented for a DCT-owned and created strip to appear in both comics at the same time. I might be wrong there though.

If the new Bananaman is by Nigel, however, it should at least partially answer the question of what NP will do after Harry Hill stopped.

Going slightly off-topic, it's good to hear that there will be more classic characters in the next Dandy annual, but I hope the next Dandy annual contains more of the new strips though. It would be a shame for the best characters created since the relaunch - Mr Meecher, Postman Prat, Pre-Skool Prime Minister etc. to miss out purely because they're too modern for older readers to remember them.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:
meherenow wrote:Ooer, is this a sign we're nearing the end of The Dandy this new year? There is still a Desperate Dan advertorial on the preceding page so they are still pushing it.
Far from it. Lew's blog says that they're in full anniversary mode this year, and the 2013 annual will again feature plenty of old characters.
http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2011/12 ... -2012.html
2012 is also the year of two comic anniversaries. 2000AD celebrates 35 years of publication in February and The Dandy notches up a record-breaking 75 years next December. Expect some celebratory treats throughout the year including the return of some classic favourites in The Dandy Annual on sale in the second half of the year.

As you can see from the quote you showed, I said "some" not "full" and "plenty". :lol: This forum gets so excitable sometimes. Happy New Year all. :cheers:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Happy New Year to you and everyone here..

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Jonny Whizz wrote:This seems odd, given that there's no evidence to suggest that Bananaman is going to stop in the Dandy any time soon, and I think it's unprecedented for a DCT-owned and created strip to appear in both comics at the same time. I might be wrong there though.
According to British Comics Wiki Baby Crockett appeared in both the Beezer and the Bimbo at the same time. Two very different comics and both drawn by the same artist (Bill Ritchie). But if Bananaman was appearing in both comics at the same time it would be unprecedented that the same character appears in two different comics aimed at the same audience at the same time.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Out already eh? Didn't see the Beano in my newsagent today (they don't sell the Dandy, and the Christmas Beano sold out before Christmas), but I'll check Asda tomorrow.

As for the Baby Crockett example, that was a nursery comic and a comic for older kids. Likewise, Dennis the Menace was in the Beano, and the adult-targeted Weekly News. But those are different audiences, unlike Bananaman being in both Beano and Dandy. Heh, there is one thing about this: it means those early Beano comic libraries from when he was in Nutty, now have him assigned to a comic he's actually been in! It's actually notable that Jonah's comic libraries were still Beano ones after he joined the Dandy. Bananaman is one of only two strips to have been in both Beano and Dandy comic libraries, crossovers excepted, as far as I'm aware. The Numskulls is the other due to them being assigned to Dandy when they were in the Beezer.