*ADVERTS SPOILER ALERT* #3617 - 7th Jan 2012

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

WizzKid97

Re: *ADVERTS SPOILER ALERT* #3617 - 7th Jan 2012

Post by WizzKid97 »

I certainly wasn't expecting that!

Oh dear, Bananaman and Harry Hill gone... Doesn't seem too promising... Two lead strips going...

I wonder if he'll feature in both comics, Wayne drawing the Dandy version and Nigel drawing a more... classic Bananaman...

Could anyone scan the pages of the Bananaman Next Time Advert?

:offtopic1: Super School returns in the same issue as this news and so does my Numskulls story I wrote! :)
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

:shock: I gotta admit Bananaman in The Beano just feels wrong as he has been a Dandy character since before I started reading comics.

Is there anywhere I can find more info or a scan on this big news.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

wicked-stepladder wrote:Agree with you Gilly. Bananaman in the Beano? Wrong, wrong, wrong.

What are they thinking? Bananaman is one of the Dandy's main selling points.
Bananaman is even on the front of this weeks Dandy which leads me to wonder is he now going to be appearing in both comics or is this his last appearance in The Dandy.

rossmac

Bananaman in Beano thoughts...

Post by rossmac »

I'm surprised no-one has posted about this yet, but I may as well kick off the speculation re Bananaman in the Beano! I'm posting it here rather than the subforums as it relates to both Dandy & Beano.

So I wonder what the reasoning here is? If I were to be pessimistic and a foreteller of doom and gloom I'd be predicting this is the first stage in the merger of the comics. I don't however think this is the case, so banish that thought!

From what I've heard this is going to be in the style of Geering- so a traditional style for Bananaman. So does this mean we'll have Bananaman in both comics permanently now, one being the whacky modern Wayne Thompson style in the more modern art styled Dandy and the other being the more traditional style in the more traditional styled comic, the Beano? An odd move, but perhaps they feel there is a market for it and it will fit better in the Beano.

My last thought is cross-promotion. Having BM star in the Beano for a short while and letting people know that he is also in the Dandy could bring in new readers for the Dandy. It could also bring in new readers for the Beano- both current Dandy readers who like BM and fans of the classic BM style. The only problem with this is, if you're going to cross-promote why use two different styles?

I know that no doubt all will become clear very soon, but it's fun to speculate! Any other thoughts?

Ross

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Bananman used to appear in the early beano comic libraries before nutty joined dandy so in a way its a homecoming of sorts.

edit 23.32 sorry just seen digifiend has already mentioned this that will teach me not to read page2 before page 1 :oops:

Peter Gray

Re: Bananaman in Beano thoughts...

Post by Peter Gray »

i think there could be a links between the two stories...But has you say very different art styles.unless Nigel will be drawing it for The Dandy as well later on? :P :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Ross, we have posted about this, in the Beano section.

I believe it was probably done for marketing reasons. "As seen in The Beano" carries more weight than "As seen in The Dandy", and it also safeguards Bananaman's future in the event that The Dandy does fold, even if there's no merger. After all, there'll always be DVDs (or downloads?) of his 80s cartoon to sell.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

big bad bri wrote:Bananman used to appear in the early beano comic libraries before nutty joined dandy so in a way its a homecoming of sorts.

edit 23.32 sorry just seen digifiend has already mentioned this that will teach me not to read page2 before page 1 :oops:
:tongue: lol. I'd scan the advert, if my computer wasn't out of order. Can somebody else please do it instead? Harry and Gilly have both requested this already and nobody responded.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

I know what's going to happen about Bananaman... I found out exactly what'll happen to him! But none of you are finding out! ;)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

How? Too early for you to have next week's issues, and I got no reply when I asked on the Dandy Twitter page.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

WizzKid97 wrote:I know what's going to happen about Bananaman... I found out exactly what'll happen to him! But none of you are finding out! ;)
What, as in what's happening next week, or in the longer term?
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Long term... I know exactly what happens to Bananaman... I spoke to an artist about it and he revealed it... But I'm saying no more!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Oh well! There Y' go!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Beano 3618 just plopped through my letter box (coincidentally i was reading a Bananaman strip in an old Dandy at the time).

It appears that Bananaman is going to be in both comics in the Dandy as he was before and in the Beano as John Geering reprints. There was also an advert for bananaman merchandise in this week's issue.