Football season 2011/12

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Football season 2011/12

Post by Digifiend »

Well well, Man City lost too! Let's hope they lose their next game as well (vs Liverpool on Tuesday).

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I was saddened to hear the news about the death of Gary Ablett yesterday at the age of 46. He had been battling non-Hogkin's lymphona for 16 months.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16383027.stm

I'm too young to remember him as a player but he will be fondly remembered on both sides of Stanley Park - he is the only player to have won the FA Cup for both Merseyside teams - as well as at his other clubs. RIP.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Speaking of the FA Cup, Man Utd just beat 10-Man City 3-2 - and in a major shock, Paul Scholes came out of retirement and came on as a sub in the second half. Wayne Rooney admitted that even the players didn't know about Scholes, who was employed as a reserve team coach since he quit playing last season.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Was really gutted (football parlance there) when Spurs lost in injury time, I'm not a Spurs fan but would like them to do well. By all accounts Balotelli should not have been on the pitch and, according to Allen Green on Five Live, we can expect the FA to punish him in the next few days. I'll watch MOTD 2 tonight to see the incident where he back heeled Scott Parker in the gulliver.

But at least Arsenal lost. Wenger will not be at Arsenal next season - you mark my words. Callers were scathing about his managership of late.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Yeah, I watched the Arsenal-Manchester United game. I don't blame Wenger for any of the decisions, though - it's hardly his fault if players can't be bothered. Andrei Arshavin was inspid once again, and directly at fault for Welbeck's winning goal. What has happened to the player who starred at Euro 2008 and scored four against Liverpool at Anfield in the year we challenged for the title?

Speaking of Liverpool, our performance against Bolton was said to be atrocious (mercifully I don't have ESPN so was spared watching it, and I didn't catch Match of the Day) and I agree with Kenny Dalglish in saying that some of our players need to pull their socks up. It is becoming more apparent with every match that we need a striker who can finish (ideally a Darren Bent type player) and of our expensive signings both Carroll and Downing have disappointed (I do have hopes for Jordan Henderson though, who has shown some promise when played in a central role).

I didn't see Man City-Spurs but I did feel some sympathy for Tottenham given the manner of their defeat, they've come as close as anybody to beating City at the Etihad Stadium this year.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Just heard on Five Live that Arsenal fans sarcastically applauded Welbeck's goal. Its difficult because he has been so good for the club in the past so they can't be nasty toward him now. Same with Dalglish - a Liverpool legend so you have to bite your tongue when things are going wrong like losing 3-1 to Bolton.

Just heard the FA are going to charge Balotelli with violent conduct. Five Live are asking was this the most puzzling substitution ever? (The Arsenal player with the long name).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Congratulations must go in Crawley's direction. The League 2 side gaint-killed Championship Hull. Now they must be hoping for Liverpool or Chelsea in the next round.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:shock: :( Capello's gone! So what next for England?

matrix

Post by matrix »

Digifiend wrote::shock: :( Capello's gone! So what next for England?
Well lets hope its someone that has some b...s and is not scared to split the boys club up, of the immature spoilt brats that spit the dummy every time things dont go their way.

If Harry takes the job England gain, but a big loss for Spurs.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

If Harry leaves Super Spurs for the England job I'll will start supporting Wales.
I would rather Spurs did well rather then England.
Anyway England will never do well, as their's hardly any English players in the premier good enough

matrix

Post by matrix »

steelclaw wrote:If Harry leaves Super Spurs for the England job I'll will start supporting Wales.
I would rather Spurs did well rather then England.
Anyway England will never do well, as their's hardly any English players in the premier good enough
I agree with most of that not sure about Wales, well why not at least you could see Bale play!

As a long time Spurs supporter i hope Harry stays, it just feels like Spurs could go on to better things, how many times have spurs supporters felt like that?

Maybe if they filled the England team with Championship players they might do well!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Five Live is spending five hours debating the non handshake at Man United. I think many football fans are fed up with the soap opera of the premier league I heard some have started watching lower league football where it still has players with moral fibre and no diving and play acting. It should be closed down and restarted from scratch with players being paid the average UK yearly wage. Enough of the prima donnas. Tomorrow's papers are all over it.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

I agree with Matrix. It does feel as if Tottenham are going places.

Are the F.A. hellbent on an English manager? In terms of c.v.'s there is not exactly a long list, honours-wise: Redknap has a solitary F.A. cup to his name (as manager), though that's arguably more than Steve McClaren's single League Cup when they picked him. Roy Hodgson has never won any silver in England as a manager (though has won plenty in Scandanavia, and has loads of experience elsewhere, including actual management in a World Cup finals -- he'd be my choice, and Monday night's thrashing of Wolves won't have done his chances any harm).

If I was the F.A., I'd go with a caretaker manager until after the Europeans, and then make a final decision. Either Redknapp or Hodgson could conceivably juggle both jobs for six months.

If it is going to be a caretaker position, though, then my choice would be currently unemployed Rafa Benitez!

And why not?

Not English? So what! He's managed in England, has won loads all over the place and had no trouble motivating Liverpool to come back from 3-0 down to win the Champions League. That ticks all the boxes for me. Anyway, it would only be for six months and as both parties would seem to have an already built-in excuse for failure then everyone gets to walk away blameless.

I'll make one prediction: by the time the tournament ends, the F.A. are going to regret that anyone ever invented Twitter.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Neil Warnock is ecpected to be announced as the new Leeds manager. He is a Yorkshireman so should be accepted by the fans.

I'll be listening to Millwall v Bolton as it is the live commentary game on Five Live so i expect them to fail miserably but if there's one Premier league club we might stand a chance against. I can here the cheers from my flat but they don't come very often nowadays.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

More bad news for Arsenal after their heavy Champions League defeat to A.C. Milan - they were knocked out of the FA Cup yesterday after a 2-0 defeat to Sunderland. Unless they can pull off a remarkable comeback against Milan in the Champions League in the second leg, that's probably yet another trophyless season for the Gunners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16994657

I think Arsene Wenger doesn't deserve the media criticism he's been given, but you have to wonder what would happen to them if van Persie left or got injured - his excellent form has been one of the few shining lights this season, and if he left then they could be pretty toothless up front.