The Art and History of the Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

The Art and History of the Dandy

Post by Digifiend »

The Art and History of the Dandy, a counterpart to The History of the Beano: The Story So Far, has been announced by Waverley Books.
http://lewstringer.blogspot.com/2012/03 ... aking.html
https://twitter.com/#!/WaverleyBooks

Gilly

Re: The Art and History of the Dandy

Post by Gilly »

Sounds interesting, will definitely have to get this when it has been released. :D

It's great to hear that they are celebrating the 75th properly after the 70th was basically ignored.

SID

Post by SID »

Future Christmas present looming. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I knew it had to happen thank goodness..

Black Bob art must feature...must be lots of original art to savoy in this book..

I wonder if the Beano and Dandy Gold book will be more heavly on The Dandy this time ..

thank you Waverly and DC Thomson..

I really think there will be a Jonah complete book one day now this has happened..

blaing

Post by blaing »

As soon as Amazon has it available to pre-order, I'll be ordering this. :D

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Excellent news, I was delighted with the Beano edition.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Peter Gray wrote:I knew it had to happen thank goodness..

Black Bob art must feature...must be lots of original art to savoy in this book..

I wonder if the Beano and Dandy Gold book will be more heavly on The Dandy this time ..

thank you Waverly and DC Thomson..

I really think there will be a Jonah complete book one day now this has happened..
I'm sure Black Bob will be featured, but he already has his own book, so he'll probably only have a couple of pages. I would hope that if any Black Bob material is used, that it doesn't duplicate that book.

I assume the entireity of issue 1 will feature. That'll go nicely with the fascimile Dandy Monster Comic they printed a few years ago. I expect other complete issues to be included too (HOTB had issues from 1950, 1954 and 1958). The book's opening chapter will likely duplicate what History of the Beano used, as it explored the Big Five story papers, which of course, is critical to the history of both comics. Hopefully, they'll use different scans.

As for the Beano-Dandy book, Celebrate Dennis the Menace was too Beano focused (most previous ones unless they feature other comics were pretty much a 50-50 split). So I agree that more Dandy focus should be used this time.

And Jonah, well, he and Bananaman hold a rare distinction - having a regular slot in both the Beano and the Dandy (Jonah of course wasn't at the same time like Bananaman, but I don't think anyone else has featured in both regularly at all). Because both of Jonah's runs were only a few years each, any complete book would only be a few hundred pages, and as such, is feasible. Doesn't mean it'll happen though.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Bananaman holds an even more rare distinction as not only has he appeared in The Beano and Dandy but he also started out in Nutty. I also heard he appeared in BEEB comic back in the 80s so that means he has appeared in 4 comics in total.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Any votes on which title should get this treatment next? Topper? Beezer? (preferably large format of course)

...Sparky?

(Me, I'd go for Beezer)
Gilly wrote:Bananaman holds an even more rare distinction as not only has he appeared in The Beano and Dandy but he also started out in Nutty. I also heard he appeared in BEEB comic back in the 80s so that means he has appeared in 4 comics in total.
For anyone who's never seen the latter here's an example of one of Bananaman's BEEB strips:

...Presumably it would have been reprinted from Nutty or somewhere, but on better paper.

One thing that always puzzled me, however, was why the copyright notice invariably said 'Bananaman Productions Ltd.' instead of DC Thomson.

- Phil R.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's not a reprint. Dandy Xtreme did reprint a few of the BEEB strips, but they were new when they first appeared in BEEB. Bananaman Productions was an alias (also used on the cartioon I think), like Beano Productions for the 2009 Dennis & Gnasher cartoon and Dandy Productions for the Marvo the Wonder Chicken series.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Bananaman in Beeb wasn't a reprint - it was drawn by Barrie Appleby and written, as I remember, by someone in the Dandy. It was drawn TV style rather than Nutty-style because the mag was a TV tie-ins paper. As to the copyright line... no idea why we didn't use DCT other than to tie in with the animation.
As for Black Bob - he'll definitely be appearing in the book. I'm writing a couple of sections of the book and he will probably appear in in both of those.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Will the book feature anything of the 2010 revamp because I feel if it doesn't - it'll be great shame...
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I certainly hope the post-2010 Dandy is included. The History of the Beano was bang up to date, to the point of inclduing the 70th anniversary issue of the comic, so I'm expecting that the Dandy book will be similar in this respect.

I'm very pleased to hear that this book is being released - it was a shame that the Dandy's 70th birthday was ignored, while the Beano celebrated its birthday the following year in style.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

352663901.211776.jpg
So the email I got from Bill McLoughlin is true it's happening about time too! :D

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

I'm really looking forward to this, especially if it includes rare artwork and explains some of the more controversial editorial decisions over the years. I can't wait to get an authoritative take on the rationale behind Dandy Xtreme...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk