This week's issue Take 2

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

BeanoMark

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by BeanoMark »

From the start of the story, right up until Bananaman is lounging on the sunbed, he's been sleeping and it's all been a dream. He gets woken up by crow and then decides to go back to sleep as he preferred the baddies in snoozeville.

Cheers,
Mark.
Beano HQ

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Nice long bananman story anyone know where its reprinted from perhaps an annual or summer special.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

big bad bri wrote:Nice long bananman story anyone know where its reprinted from perhaps an annual or summer special.
It was originally from a Dandy Annual - I believe it was from the 1990s era but I could be wrong. I recognised the story straight away though.

Sadly, I recognised both the 'Bananaman' and 'Number 13' (Beano Street) stories which is always the problem with the reprints.

One query I do have in mind though is whether this week's 'Pup Parade' illustrated by Nigel Parkinson was a reprint or in fact brand-new. I seem to remember the story from somewhere - but like I said before, I could be wrong.

If someone could answer this for me, it would be a great help. Also what year was the two page 'The (Totally Gross) Germs' from?
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

What i want to know is why is there a H.H. signature in the 4th panel of Fred's Bed when Nigel Parkinson's own signature is somewhere else on the strip.

Also nice to see Retro Beano back again.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

That signature's not a new thing at all, I've seen it in the Beano for several years. I used to think it read H.H., but it's actually N.N. It's the signature of one of his colourists, Nika (unlike most artists nowadays, Nigel's work is still coloured by hand rather than on computer). Nigel Parkinson revealed all in this blog post:

http://nigelparkinsoncartoons.blogspot. ... art-1.html

I was pleased to see Retro Beano return - a very good set of strips this week. I also liked the Bananaman reprint, great artwork by John Geering and as usual the strip was funny and quirky.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

The Beano really felt good value for the extra money today. Ok the extra comic pages (Bananaman, Germs, Retro) were all reprints but the intended audience wont notice and to be fair I don't remember reading those strips although I probably have done. :lol:

If the Bananaman was full colour originally then it probably was from a 1990's annual.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Gilly wrote:The Beano really felt good value for the extra money today. Ok the extra comic pages (Bananaman, Germs, Retro) were all reprints but the intended audience wont notice and to be fair I don't remember reading those strips although I probably have done.
I agree with you, the issue was brilliant! Possibly the best Beano yet, full of comic strips and actual laughs! My favourite had to be either Roger the Dodger or The Germs - both amazingly being reprints! I also thought The Bash Street Kids, Pup Parade and The Numskulls were all very strong as well. I'm really enjoying The Numskulls' story-arc at the moment - it works really well plus it's a brilliant way to publicise the blockheads (which look far better than those awful Cele-brix)!

Weakest for me this week had to Dennis and Gnasher (or Wenlock and Mandeville). Dennis was so dull the strip isn't funny - he's just there because he's so famous. Not that I see why as I find him the weakest character in The Beano along with The Germs (usually). Maybe the two pages given to The Germs made the strip better - but then again, I loved Dave's work on it - the same wave tailing from panel to panel was great and really made the strip flow! Ha-ha! :wink:

The best thing was, I was happy paying the £2.50 for the comic - is was full of stories - didn't take advantage of the extra pages by stuffing it with filler or "non comic-strip". I would like to see more stories becoming two pages or so to really expand on the 44 page mark though. Let's be honest, who doesn't want to see a two-page Meebo and Zuky, eh?

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Definitely agree with you there a two page Meebo and Zuky strip would be awesome!!!!

As for stuffing the pages with filler, I am also glad that they didn't print an extra long strip as a cut out as I don't like cutting my comic up and I prefer all the strips to look part of the comic.

As for Dennis I agree that he's not the best strip in The Beano right now, I just want to ask do you think that he has been the weakest since his revamp or is he just not your favourite full stop?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

It's the 2009 revamp to blame. They started reversing the changes (including bringing back Rasher), but that's for naught now because the BBC cartoon is now getting a second series. We're stuck with him like that for another two years at least.

In the same timeframe, Minnie has greatly improved - I like Ken's version far more than I did Tom's.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Gilly wrote:The Beano really felt good value for the extra money today. Ok the extra comic pages (Bananaman, Germs, Retro) were all reprints but the intended audience wont notice and to be fair I don't remember reading those strips although I probably have done. :lol:
In other words, "It's fine doing it so long as we can get away with it!" As I've said before, I don't think that's a healthy attitude for a comic to have.

Speaking of TV series reversions, is it me or is page 25 the first time the names Bertie and Dudley have been printed since 2009?

I'm hoping that DC Thomson and the BBC learn from the experience of the first series when writing the second one. It certainly doesn't seem as if they'd make such an effort throughout 2011 to de-softify New Dennis if they were just going to change it all right back again, and if I'm right about the secondary softies, the changes are still happening. They've made hopeful noises about it, so I'm keeping an open mind for now.

Has Pup Parade done a Fred's Bed? I remember when it first started last summer, it was given very low priority, and frequently made way for Retro Beano. Later, it started appearing in every issue and Retro Beano made way for it instead, which probably means it was proving popular, and the pups have also featured in the main Bash Street Kids story. But it's very rare for Nigel Parkinson not to sign his work, so maybe it's some previously unknown 90s material? Has he ever drawn the pups before, or is it new after all?
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I agree that it would be better if it was new strips rather than reprints, but the point I was making was if there if there is a price hike it should be for more comic pages which there was.

Good point about Pup Parade and if that is the case we will have one less reprint in The Beano. :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Anyone got a NP-signal? You know, like Batman's? ;)

And Swirly, yes he has drawn the pups before - inn the Beano Annual 2012! Forgot already?

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Gilly wrote:As for Dennis I agree that he's not the best strip in The Beano right now, I just want to ask do you think that he has been the weakest since his revamp or is he just not your favourite full stop?
Good question. I find that Dennis has had a rollercoaster of a ride - but throughout its entire time in The Beano since I became a reader back in 2007; I never did find him very exciting and he certainly was never my favourite.

Every now and again, I'd find him pretty funny. He's had a brilliant time in The Beano recently since The Beano "upped-the-menace", bringing back missed characters such as Rasher, Foo-Foo and Dasher. Although let's be honest, Dasher has appeared once, Foo-Foo has appeared once or twice and same for Rasher. Wow.

But I find his antics are tiring. Becoming very samey. There's still the occasional horror like 'result' or D&G time' or whatever ugly phrases he gained with the 2009 revamp. *shudder*

I'd much rather see a better story on the cover. Roger the Dodger perhaps? Maybe Meebo and Zuky? Or why not a load of them, if I'm honest - the ones with more than just Dennis on are the best. (usually when it's more than just Minnie or the BSK that is).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

They have experimented with that. Remember the infamous cover with a long-trousered Danny?