Dark Shadows

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Dark Shadows

Post by stevezodiac »

There was an article in yesterday's Times about this show and the upcoming Johnny Depp movie adaptation directed by Tim Burton, The trailer on youtube looks like it is a light hearted version but looks fun. It was actually a daytime gothic soap featuring a vampire so although it only ran from 1965 to 1972 clocked up over a thousand episodes. Anyone know anything about the show, There were comic book versions published. The article says the show is coming out on dvd.

Shaqui

Re: Dark Shadows

Post by Shaqui »

I knew of the series back in the 1980s as a/ it was mentioned in Gary Gerani's 'Fantastic Television' book and b/ I picked up a whole load of novels cheap at Maidstone Market while I was at college there. The Sci-Fi Channel showed some, I believe, and I recently found the ends of some episodes preceding their showing of 'The Tomorrow People' during the late 1990s. The trailer looks great fun, and I'm tempted to go and see it. :D

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

I have most of them on DVD (R1) and, although it starts off slooowly, and the production values are woeful, it soon becomes weird and involving enough to warrant it's rep as a cult classic. More a gothic romance than horror, despite the werewolves and zombies. Actually, it's more daytime soap than anything else and none the worse for that...

If you're thinking of diving in to the run I reckon you could start anywhere after the first 200 episodes and quickly get up to speed.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I never saw the series but the American paperbacks turned up quite a lot in the UK during the 1970s with their gold covers inset with oval illustrations. During this period a lot of US comics like House of Secrets jumped on the 'Gothic' bandwagon.

- Phil Rushton

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I must admit that the trailer looks funny and the lead actress looks wow! Must dig into the net to see if there are any episodes online at some point.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Post by starscape »

Even though I've got an unlimited card, I wont be wasting my time on this. Doesn't look funny. Doesn't look scary. Doesn't look dramatic. It's not even stupid but action-filled. I can't see anything of interest in this.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

I went to see the film last night and I went in with an open mind. I also like Johny Depp and due to my age, have horribly only heard of Dark Shadows in reference to this new film.

As a film, I actually found it a good laugh and enjoyable, its no oscar winner to be sure, but, enjoyable and certainly worth a watch.

After watching it, I actually did a wiki search on Dark Shadows and read up on the original TV series. Although I've not yet seen any clips, it does sound like a great show! I have seen some episodes of the Munsters and early Addams family and really liked them.

Do you know if you can buy Dark Shadows on DVD? According to Wikipedia there are over 1000 edpisodes. Is it worth watching?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Good news, it's due out in a couple of months.
MPI Home Video currently holds the home video rights to the series. All episodes were issued on VHS from 1989 through 1995. Episodes 210–1245 (Barnabas' arrival through to the end of the series) have been released on DVD in 26 Collections from 2002 through 2006. Episodes 1–209 were released in 2007 under the title of Dark Shadows: The Beginning. On April 3, 2012, MPI re-released the 32 Collections.

On April 10, 2012, MPI released a Limited Edition Complete Series Box Set in the shape of a coffin. The 131 DVDs are housed in 22 individual plastic cases with the spines looking upward to show the entire body of Barnabas lying asleep in his coffin. Only 2,500 copies of these were made. However, there will also be an unlimited set that does not include the limited edition card signed by Jonathan Frid or the serial numbers on the bottom of the box. This edition will be available by July 2012.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Shadows#Home_video

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Just found it! It looks great! The price however, is pretty steep!

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Comp ... 732&sr=1-1

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

131 discs, so is that really surprising?

Jonno

Post by Jonno »

Yes . Very good film - I was surprised just how good. Hoping to catch some episodes of the TV series