Beano summer special number 1 out now WHSmiths

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Beano summer special number 1 out now WHSmiths

Post by Lew Stringer »

Rasher wrote:I don't 'get' your bile, swirlythingy, they can call it whatever they damn well like.

What about all those 'special edition' cars we used to get all the time. There was nothing special other than a paint job and a badge, but it sold. And that's all they're doing here. Making people see it, make it stand out, make sure there's no confusion with any other product with the Beano name on. Make sure it sells.

Even if you paid a visit to Beano HQ, meet the staff, meet the bosses, the decision-makers, the directors, even the ghost of DC Thomson himself - it still would never satisfy your hunger to bash the life out of a decent, well-made comic for 7-11 year olds.
You're right about defining it for the public. Anything like that is worth trying. After all, it's no exaggeration. It's special (in that it's an addition to the regular Beano) and it has an appeal for collectors (in that it features classic material).

I'm pleased to see it appearing again this year. Well spotted Peter!
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Well that's one for the shopping list. :)

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Any idea of the price wasn't the last one a fiver

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Found a listing for Beano Summer Annual. Not sure if it's this or a follow up to last year's 3D Summer Annual.
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSear ... 1845354466
£5.99 in store, £4.43 online.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

The price is £4.99

Its similar in content to last year other than what I've mentioned..
It is special..a summer special!!

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Hurrah! Good find Peter. Wasn't expecting a second issue of this so it's a pleasant surprise.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I don't suppose the link I found means that the 3D Summer Annual is also getting a second issue?

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Digifiend wrote:I don't suppose the link I found means that the 3D Summer Annual is also getting a second issue?
Nope, sorry. There isn't a Beano Summer Annual this year.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

WHSmith must've wrongly assumed that there was then, because the price doesn't match the Summer Special. Thanks.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I went in whs harlow today it wasnt in & the staff didn't seem to have a clue what i was talking about 1st they brang me to the reg beano Then another member of staff brang me a beano max i even mentioned they had a special last year,hopefully they will know what i'm talking about when i get back to london at the weekend :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You could always print that scan of the cover and show them it.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

If I can get to Bolton (that's where my nearest WH Smith is) i'll get one tomorrow and hope its as good as last years

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I'd say last years was better as it had more 1960's pages..but still very good..also I'd prefer if they stuck to summer specials and not reprinting from comics on a few of the pages..

I liked seeing some Beezer summer special hope they can show other characters..and we want the Dandy summer special number 1..

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Thanks for the heads up Peter and I suppose the reason they've decided to reprint material from the weeklies as DCT might not have a complete set of Beano summer specials which is unlikely but you never know... And a Dandy summer special number 1 should have appeared with it being the Dandy's 75th year but DCT prefer to shine the limelight on The Beano probably because it outsells it by a large margin

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

I asked about this in my local whs in Falkirk on Wednesday and like bri, the staff had'nt a clue about it. I was told Thursday and Friday were the day's the magazines and things were delivered so went in after work today and again no sign of it. On asking a member of staff if it had been delivered, I was once again met with a blank look and told to try again in a weeks time. [img][/img]

On asking if they could order it in for me, I was told they could'nt do that. [img][/img]