Beano summer special number 1 out now WHSmiths

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Beano summer special number 1 out now WHSmiths

Post by Digifiend »

Got my copy from the Hull Kingswood branch... where it was hidden behind the weekly Beano.

Did anyone notice that Iain McLoughlin is credited as the Beano Editor on page 3 instead of Mike Sterling? Did they use the wrong signature?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I managed to get the last copy in WHs wood green,now i wish they would do one for the dandy & also sell them in other shops ,supermarkets etc rather than a WHS exclusive but at least we got the big history of the dandy coffee table book to look foward to,to go along with the beano one from a few years back.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Unless the regular editor of the Beano was busy on an other project and didn't have time to edit this particular edition? Only official word from the Beano office will confirm that mystery. And any kind of special issue of the Dandy will be very welcome and I wonder if DCT will issue one closer to its 75th in December as well as the coffee table volume??

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

They had three copies at the Lewisham Smiths. I wasn't impressed so didn't buy one. None at Catford Smiths though which is only a mile or so down the road.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Must admit its not as good as the 1st one from last year too much modern material this time round as I would have preferred more strips from the 60s and 70s

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Funnily enough although I didn't buy the Beano Summer Special my eye was caught by a Daily Mail special of Britain at War. It was really thick and I thought it would be £12 or £15. Imagine my surprise when I saw it was only £6.99. When I got home I noticed a picture of residents celebrating the end of the war in Kentwell Close, Brockley, London. The street where I was born in 1956. I left there when I was two and have never been back.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

hi Swirly
It was in the children comic section WHSmiths and was easy to find..they must have sold out for the time being..I'm really sorry you missed it.. :(

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Peter Gray wrote:hi Swirly
It was in the children comic section WHSmiths and was easy to find..they must have sold out for the time being..I'm really sorry you missed it.. :(
I definitely looked in the children's comics and it wasn't there. This isn't the first report of them selling out, either. It sounds as if WHSmith have severely under-ordered.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

swirly if you still go to gosh for phoenix there is a whs in the plaza shopping centre on oxford st just a bit down from hmv they may have some there as they had plenty last year.

django

Post by django »

No sign of it in Rickmansworth or Harrow but I did manage to get it in Watford...they had 2 copies left if anyone's in that neck of the woods!.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I believe Iain was acting editor for a short while this spring, but this may be entirely separate, ie Mike delegating the publication to Iain. He has a long history of the love of classic strips.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Swirly, on my way to the comic mart today I got off at Waterloo and the WH Smiths opposite platforms 13 and 14 had ten copies. Its probably your best bet as its only a few stops from Wimbledon.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

stevezodiac wrote:Swirly, on my way to the comic mart today I got off at Waterloo and the WH Smiths opposite platforms 13 and 14 had ten copies. Its probably your best bet as its only a few stops from Wimbledon.
Ooh, that's more my style. Thanks! I can't go dashing off anywhere right now with exams coming up, but I'll be walking right past that shop when I pick up my next Phoenix so I'll try and remember to pop in then.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

AndyB wrote:I believe Iain was acting editor for a short while this spring, but this may be entirely separate, ie Mike delegating the publication to Iain. He has a long history of the love of classic strips.
Andy is right. I have been Acting Editor since the start of February. However, when Mike returns, I hand the helm of the good ship Beano back to him and return to my position as minion.

WizzKid97

Post by WizzKid97 »

Our local WHSmith's doesn't sell sell the retro summer specials... I only got No.1 because it was at Gatwick Airport when I was going off to Rome for the half-term. Any chance I could order it?
Please check out the following links!
http://wizzkid97.wordpress.com/ - My blog
http://wizzkid97.deviantart.com/ My DA Page