Beano summer special number 1 out now WHSmiths

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

dandy mad

Re: Beano summer special number 1 out now WHSmiths

Post by dandy mad »

I'm afraid not I asked on Saturday whether it can be ordered online and the bloke I asked said its not even listed on the WHSmith website as its an in store "exclusive" only which doesn't help matters

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Pop down to Waterloo station why don't you. :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Classic Comics wrote:
AndyB wrote:I believe Iain was acting editor for a short while this spring, but this may be entirely separate, ie Mike delegating the publication to Iain. He has a long history of the love of classic strips.
Andy is right. I have been Acting Editor since the start of February. However, when Mike returns, I hand the helm of the good ship Beano back to him and return to my position as minion.
Thanks for that explanation. But is Mike ill or something? It's been almost three months, that's too long to be just a holiday.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

dandy mad wrote:I'm afraid not I asked on Saturday whether it can be ordered online and the bloke I asked said its not even listed on the WHSmith website as its an in store "exclusive" only which doesn't help matters
That matches my experience in Kingston. The assistant told me she'd looked on two separate databases and it wasn't listed on either of them, so even if they had had any in stock, she had no means of re-ordering them.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Unless DCT have printed one batch and once they've gone they are gone?

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Digifiend wrote:
Classic Comics wrote:
AndyB wrote:I believe Iain was acting editor for a short while this spring, but this may be entirely separate, ie Mike delegating the publication to Iain. He has a long history of the love of classic strips.
Andy is right. I have been Acting Editor since the start of February. However, when Mike returns, I hand the helm of the good ship Beano back to him and return to my position as minion.
Thanks for that explanation. But is Mike ill or something? It's been almost three months, that's too long to be just a holiday.
Mike needed a few running repairs that have left him laid up for a while. He's fine and he'll be back as soon as the docs clear him to do so. At which point I scamper off to a beach somewhere hot for a week or two.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Two unexpected things happened today. Firstly, I found a (non-comics) reason to go up to London, after I remembered to do something I'd promised to do last Friday, but had evidently forgotten about by the time I said I'd next be up there this Saturday. And secondly, on the way to Wimbledon station I passed by the legendarily hopeless branch of WHSmith, and figured I might as well pop in just in case. And what do you know... they had seven or eight copies in stock! Shoved right at the back of the children's shelf, but definitely there.

So, shortage over for me, and if anyone else in London is still struggling... :D
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

Jon

Post by Jon »

Little bump to say I finally managed to get one of these today - in Waterloo Station, which has already been confirmed as one of the few WHSmiths that stocks it.

I can also confirm that the following branches do not stock it - or at least, didn't last time I looked:
- Surrey Quays
- Orpington
- Westfield Stratford

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Surrey Quays Smiths now has it along with the latest Commandos. One other thing - have the regular Beano and Dandy Summer Specials now been discontinued?

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

The summer specials got replaced by the Beano specials in 2003 (although summer issues were labelled Summer Specials) which themselves later got replaced by the BeanoMAX.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Yes, that's right - the first Beano special came out in February 2003, so effectively the last true Beano Summer Special was in 2002, and the last Beano Summer Special was in 2006. BeanoMAX started in February 2007, so the Summer Special was replaced by either the July or August issue (not sure which - think it may have been the latter) of BeanoMAX.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Dandy Summer Special lasted slightly longer, but 2008 was it's last.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Got this today in the WHSmith's in Liverpool Lime Street station. They had around five of them! Just sitting down to read it now, it's been a long day...
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Ultimate Beano Summer Special No.3 is out now! :D

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... l-no3.html

heres my review and examples...
its better than issue 2!!