Help for the new boy please?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

dwitefry

Help for the new boy please?

Post by dwitefry »

Hi, I'm completely new, this is my first post :) and as there isn't an introductions sub-forum I thought I'd say hi here and then ask for things (of course). This is possibly the most useful forum on the internet and polite too, I mean I've read over a dozen forums and no one has been compared to Hitler yet! I suck at staying active however and tend to have little bursts of interaction. I'm currently really getting back into British comics, possibly thinking about a 1001 Comic Characters project - a book or site maybe? - and buying up annuals (I'm currently focusing on 70's and 80's Bunty, Smash! and Frankie Stein related stuff, especially as they're mostly unscanned - the Bunty Book 1975 is already on it's way).

Anyway now to what I wanted and why this is posted in 'General comics discussion' and not 'Mumble about yourself like a weird person' can you help me with some information?

Can anyone tell me when these happened please?:
Grimly Feendish began and ended in Smash! and more importantly when he began and ended in Shiver & Shake (and were they reprints)?
Kitty Hawke ended in Girl
and Melody Lee - A Dancer She Will Be began and ended in Bunty (and maybe post a picture of the girl? She has zero pictures online, poor cow)

Also as a (VERY ballsy) suggestion (as far as I'm concerned, I have...issues with being forward) possibly the forum could have a general, all purpose 'when did this run?' thread for question and answer and maybe us just posting what we know as this seems to be the major problem when it comes to online information about British comics (it took me two days to find out when Danny Doom ran - Valiant & Lion 25th May 1974 to 22nd March 1975 :D yet i can find ever appearance of Marvel Comics' Cloak & Dagger in chronological order), i dunno, i don't feel comfortable just starting a thread 'for everyone', seems presumptuous maybe? I dunno, I'm weird, anyway thanks in advance for any help, I'm off to read more of the Girl's Comics threads :))
Gone for 14 days...

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Help for the new boy please?

Post by Phoenix »

dwitefry wrote:Melody Lee - A Dancer She Will Be began and ended in Bunty
Melody Lee - a dancer she'll be ran in Bunty 1030 (Oct. 8 1977) - 1067 (Jun. 24 1978). This character has been investigated previously in the Who was Melody Lee? thread under Comic Titles in 2007/2008. I posted a synopsis of the serial in April 2008.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Hi Dwite! :)
dwitefry wrote:...Kitty Hawke ended in Girl
After starring on the cover of the very first issue with high hopes of being Girl's answer to Dan Dare Kitty Hawke and her All-Girl Aircrew lasted a measly 21 issues (though she continued to appear in clothing adverts for a while longer). Here she is, flying off into the sunset (or at least Northwood) in the final frames of the concluding episode, dated 21st March 1952.

- Phil Rushton

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry »

Thank you both! you're lovely
Phoenix wrote:
dwitefry wrote:Melody Lee - A Dancer She Will Be began and ended in Bunty
Melody Lee - a dancer she'll be ran in Bunty 1030 (Oct. 8 1977) - 1067 (Jun. 24 1978). This character has been investigated previously in the Who was Melody Lee? thread under Comic Titles in 2007/2008. I posted a synopsis of the serial in April 2008.
I did do a search before posting, and this didn't come up, sorry mate, cheers for indulging me.

EDIT:
Is that the Queen and his royal bigot Phillip in that Kitty Hawke page!?! (is the Queen public domain? ha! that's be nice)
Gone for 14 days...

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I don't think the British Queen and Prince Phillip rule a country called "Salvarosa"!

I was once hoping to set up a British Comics Wiki that would have details on comic issues, pages about stories (complete with begins, ends and reprints) and so on, but then two other British Comics Wiki's got set up, so I deleted mine. Though neither of the others seems to have any intention of going into that much detail. One has plenty of overviews of titles, though they're very bare-bones. The other is just a mess, from what I've seen of it. Rambling articles with haphazard pictures in all shapes and sizes.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

dwitefry wrote:Melody Lee..............has zero pictures online, poor cow
dwitefry wrote:his royal bigot Phillip
In 50% of your posts so far, dwitefry, you have managed to insult a young, female dancer (fictional admittedly), who overcomes a great deal of adversity to succeed in her chosen profession, and Prince Philip (incorrect spelling to boot), the consort of the queen of this country. An unimpressive debut by any standards. I'm sure I am expressing an attitude generally taken by our posters when I suggest that if you want your future posts to be respected by us, you will need to adopt a more measured approach towards your creation of them.

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry »

Phoenix wrote:
dwitefry wrote:Melody Lee..............has zero pictures online, poor cow
dwitefry wrote:his royal bigot Phillip
In 50% of your posts so far, dwitefry, you have managed to insult a young, female dancer (fictional admittedly), who overcomes a great deal of adversity to succeed in her chosen profession, and Prince Philip (incorrect spelling to boot), the consort of the queen of this country. An unimpressive debut by any standards. I'm sure I am expressing an attitude generally taken by our posters when I suggest that if you want your future posts to be respected by us, you will need to adopt a more measured approach towards your creation of them.
Fair enough, I'll pack that in and I'm sorry.

Though (and it's quite sad that this bothers me more than Phillip) I wasn't meaning to insult Melody Lee in the same manner, with 'poor cow' meaning i felt sorry for her because she had no pictures, not that she was a 'cow'.

But yeah, consider it packed in.
Gone for 14 days...

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

dwitefry wrote:Fair enough, I'll pack that in and I'm sorry.
Good. Thank you.
dwitefry wrote:I wasn't meaning to insult Melody Lee in the same manner, with 'poor cow' meaning i felt sorry for her because she had no pictures, not that she was a 'cow'.
The trouble is that your use of poor cow is as demeaning to women as David Cameron's Calm down, dear. By the time you have read through a couple of hundred earlier posts, you will realise just how unprejudiced and respectful we are on comicsuk. Welcome to the forum.

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry »

I'm very embarrassed and rather upset - mostly from guilt, which I don't say to elicit sympathy or to give weight to an argument as I expect none nor do I have an argument.

I obviously feel the need to point out that I am in no way prejudice against women (or anyone else) just for anyone who may read and get the wrong idea from my posts and yours and would have used the masculine equivalent ('poor sod'? 'poor git'?) but given your reply that's probably just as bad, but as the problem is the how people perceive the statement rather than it's original intent that's somewhat pointless (meaning exactly that, it has no point rather than say 'oh it's pointless' in an exasperated expression) but I feel the need to state it just for personal satisfaction, I do in fact mostly associate with women and generally don't get on with men, again irrelevant but feeling something else I feel compelled to add, perhaps to make me seem better or just to prove my point, even though I didn't actually set out to actively prove a point.

I now do not feel comfortable posting and certainly not in a chatty or informal manner because at the moment I feel too embarrassed and am far too concerned with upsetting anymore members (or anyone), accidentally or otherwise, or reinforcing this negative image I seem to have given as, frankly, a rather unpleasant person. While obviously the best way to not reinforce that would be to continue posting and prove it I don't feel able, this is not Phoenix's fault but the fault of my own (irrational) way of thinking especially when upset, embarrassed or depressed. I will continue to post, mostly if I stumble over something I can help with or recommendations, one of the best parts of this forum is how informative it is after all (I just, for instance, read the Nobby's Night Mare thread which identified it's artist). Again not a statement made to get any kind of sympathy, it's just meant to be explanatory.

I am sorry for causing any offense.
Gone for 14 days...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You should've just said "poor girl".

"Calm down, dear" is just a quote from an insurance advert isn't it?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:"Calm down, dear" is just a quote from an insurance advert isn't it?
No. David Cameron addressed Labour MP Angela Eagle, using that very dismissive phrase, in the House of Commons when she was interrupting or heckling him. He resisted all calls to apologise immediately from Ed Miliband and others on the opposition front bench. They were not objecting to the Calm down, but to the dear, and the deep-rooted macho attitude that its use seemed to imply.

Raven

Post by Raven »

dwitefry wrote: I now do not feel comfortable posting and certainly not in a chatty or informal manner because at the moment I feel too embarrassed and am far too concerned with upsetting anymore members (or anyone), accidentally or otherwise, or reinforcing this negative image I seem to have given as, frankly, a rather unpleasant person. While obviously the best way to not reinforce that would be to continue posting and prove it I don't feel able, this is not Phoenix's fault but the fault of my own (irrational) way of thinking especially when upset, embarrassed or depressed. I will continue to post, mostly if I stumble over something I can help with or recommendations, one of the best parts of this forum is how informative it is after all (I just, for instance, read the Nobby's Night Mare thread which identified it's artist). Again not a statement made to get any kind of sympathy, it's just meant to be explanatory.

I am sorry for causing any offense.

Well, I wasn't offended at all by your comment on the consort of the queen of this country, and I think many of us can detect a level of irony if someone calls a fictional character "poor cow" (a very dated, Sixties-style phrase which can be malicious, but has also often been said sympathetically by another woman in popular culture; note the 1967 Ken Loach film Poor Cow) when describing a fictional comic character. (ALTHOUGH YOUR INSULTING JIM FROM THE GHOSTLY GUARDIAN WAS ANOTHER MATTER ENTIRELY!)

But, really, don't be depressed or hung up about it. I think Phoenix's reaction may have been a little strong, and, I suspect, not representative of everyone. Your posts have been okay. And you introduced Peter to The Last Boys in the World.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yes, I agree with Raven; I'm sure that you're a nice person and never intended to cause offence. In fact I'm impressed that you didn't become immediately defensive about your earlier language and storm off in a huff!

As far as I'm concerned all is forgiven and forgotten - though in future it's probably best to remember that this site attracts it's share of young and impressionable members who're not yet in their teens, as well as cynical old fossils like me!

- Phil Rushton :)

Raven

Post by Raven »

Do we really have anyone not yet in their teens?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Raven wrote:Do we really have anyone not yet in their teens?
The majority of Dandy and Beano readers must be so I'd be surprised if some of them don't log in from time to time (even if they don't post anything). Perhaps Al or one of the mods can enlighten us on this?

- Phil R.