Come on Andy

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Come on Andy

Post by Phoenix »

matrix wrote:My favourite Scottish team has always been Hibernian
My father's too, and he never stopped telling me what a great winger Gordon Smith was. Curiously, though, he only ever saw one match there, a League Cup match against Clyde. He was on a motorcycling holiday with his younger brother in the late summer of 1947. I eventually inherited the rather dilapidated match programme. Front cover and the two teams below.
Attachments
hibsprog47to48.jpg
hibsprog247to48.jpg

matrix

Post by matrix »

Phoenix wrote:
matrix wrote:My favourite Scottish team has always been Hibernian
My father's too, and he never stopped telling me what a great winger Gordon Smith was. Curiously, though, he only ever saw one match there, a League Cup match against Clyde. He was on a motorcycling holiday with his younger brother in the late summer of 1947. I eventually inherited the rather dilapidated match programme. Front cover and the two teams below.
Thanks for the scans Phoenix, condition is not too bad really, I would call it match wear! And at least you get some artwork with it!

In contrast, the glossy example below is from the early eighties when Spurs had a Scottish connection with Steve Archibald (pictured). Although he started out with East Stirlingshire, then Clyde, and Aberdeen, he did play for Hibernian in 88/89.
Attachments
Spurs.Steve.Archibald.jpg

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

They had a Scottish football correspondent on Talksport earlier and i'm pretty sure he said Rangers will retain all their previous history. I have e-mailed Danny Kelly for confirmation but my experience of texting and e-mailing talksport is that they generally ignore them.

I was doing my tea at the time so only had a third of an ear cocked at the wireless - why i needed one and two third ears for preparing my tea i'll never know. Multi tasking ain't easy for us blokes. I'm not watching team GB football that's on right now - its a farce. The Olympics is too vast and disruptive - it should all be held in a church hall with three people from each country.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Ladies drew 0-0 and the men lost 2-0 - and we gave away a penalty which the commentators said was so bad, the yellow card given out should've been red. It's a farce alright - we are crap.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

One thing that struck me last night (I watched part of the game, as I only joined after the golf coverage ended) was how poor Team GB looked compared to Brazil. Despite the presence of Ryan Giggs and Craig Bellamy, GB seemed like an under-21 team playing a full strength international team.

Compare Spain's squad, which features three Euro 2012 players (Jordi Alba, Javi Martinez and Juan Mata), the Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, as well as several Barcelona youngsters, to Team GB's squad, which includes Craig Dawson (only a backup centre-back at West Brom) and Marvin Sordell (good for Watford but has made little impact at Bolton thus far). Unfortunately, with Stuart Pearce in charge I wouldn't expect anything better. He did well as a caretaker at Manchester City but otherwise his managerial career has been pretty poor. I don't rate his tactical or selection abilities at all - look at the selection of Tom Cleverley, a midfield playmaker, on the right flank during last year's European U21 championships as an example of this.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

McSCOTTYS GHOST

Post by McSCOTTYS GHOST »

The story around Rangers keeping their history is getting more and more confused but I heard that they can keep their history in as much as the SFA and Fifa were looking at stripping the "Old" Rangers of at least 5 league titles, Scottish Cup and League Cups (possibly some European 1/4 final type issues also) last I heard the SFA said the "OLD" Rangers can keep all the Cups (the Leagues I think are being reviewed) but as with all things Scottish Football who knows but Rangers 2012 are a brand new club.