The Beano merges..UPDATE its not a merge!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

The Beano merges..UPDATE its not a merge!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Peter Gray »

It will merge with Beano Max next issue..or we find out more info about it..

I hope it will mean less reprints...and wonder if it will be a bigger issue?...higher price...also better!!

on the back of this weeks issue it is called The Beano and Beano Max
Last edited by Peter Gray on 26 Jul 2012, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: The Beano merges...first time in its history..

Post by AndyB »

It ain't necessarily so - firstly, if BeanoMax was cancelled, they wouldn't call the remaining comic "The Beano and The BeanoMax" as it would be redundant - it is far more likely that they would just cancel BeanoMax and say nothing.

The "golden ticket" reference sounds more like a cross-comic promotion or competition.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

You could be right Andy...hopefully we will know by Saturday...
my new Beano only arrived today..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The "And" is just taken from the Dennis and Gnasher logo. If Max was to fold, you'd probably have Wallace and Gromit join the weekly (one page a week instead of four a month) but the BeanoMAX name would go. However, this seems to simply be a promotion running in both titles, and not a merger. Exactly what, is so far unknown.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Just to be clear. Beano and BeanoMAX are not merging.

Gilly

Re: The Beano merges..UPDATE its not a merge!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Gilly »

I must say I'm glad it's not a merger The Beano should be just for comic strips like it has been for years. Not the I have anything against Beano Max I just appreciate that it's not for me.

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

It's not merging with The Dandy, is it, by any chance?

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

No there is no merger, the news is something else that we don't know yet.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Cover designs are changing again according to snapshots of Beano and Beano Max in the new Beano (logo remaining red with yellow edging as it has for 35 years!) I won't spoil anything, but both have "starring Dennis and Gnasher" with "the MENACE" inscribed above Gnasher in the TV logo.

No word of any price change on the Beano, but the snapshot of the Beano Max looks like £3.99.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

So Dennis is getting his full title back - it's about time.

BeanoKev70

Post by BeanoKev70 »

I think everyone is missing the point here, the golden ticket must be some kind of competition that will run in both, maybe find a golden ticket & get to go to Beano HQ or something similar :?:

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

AndyB wrote:Cover designs are changing again according to snapshots of Beano and Beano Max in the new Beano (logo remaining red with yellow edging as it has for 35 years!) I won't spoil anything, but both have "starring Dennis and Gnasher" with "the MENACE" inscribed above Gnasher in the TV logo.

No word of any price change on the Beano, but the snapshot of the Beano Max looks like £3.99.
I know I've said this many times before but the situation is getting worse. One major thing publishers need to do to help sales is to take retailers to task for the abysmal way comics are shelved. I was at Euston station last Wednesday and the display in WH Smith looked like a tip. The area is too small for the amount of titles they stock, and mags/comics were stuffed in all directions. I rummaged into the abyss looking for The Dandy (didn't find it) but managed to pull out two copies of The Beano, literally buried four deep beneath other comics. (And that's on the morning of publication.)

Equally as bad are the tall shelving displays in some branches. Whilst nursery and girls mags are at the eye level of children, The Beano is just out of a child's reach in its display box (often occupied by Simpsons comics anyway) and The Dandy is on the top shelf, (about 6ft high) impossible for a child to reach and probably not even noticeable by parents who tend to stoop down to their child's level to help them choose a comic.

A comic could have great contents, a superb cover design and a snazzy logo, and even the best cover mount ever, but if it literally cannot be seen it's not going to sell.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Golden tickets will be free with the Beano and with the Beano Max - you input the code on the Beano website to see what you've won. It's all toys, except for the top prize of a trip to Universal Studios.

Lew - you're quite right, considering how much the shops charge to stock them! Old ground being retrod, but it would be so much fairer if, like small shops, the big chains would settle for the markup on copies sold and rely on sale or return not to lose money - and the small shops would enjoy a better profit on each copy sold as the publishers could supply them to distributors at a lower price.

NP

Post by NP »

Digifiend wrote:So Dennis is getting his full title back - it's about time.
And...

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes I was in Smiths on Sunday and was struck by the complete mess of the comics shelves - made worse (I ain't going to attempt to spell exacerbated) by the fact nearly all of them contain gifts and are therefore impossible to stack neatly. Peering deeper into this abyss i'm sure I spotted a pre decimal comic :)