Where has Tom Paterson gone?

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Jon

Re: Where has Tom Paterson gone?

Post by Jon »

Dunder Ed wrote:This Whizzer and Chips fan also was upset when Tom took a break from drawing. Issue dated 4th March, 1989.
Sweeny Toddler Moan -Whizzer and Chips.jpeg
I'm surprised the editor allowed the publication of someone calling their ghost artist a "second rate amateur"! Let's hope this ghost artist never saw that comment!

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

It does seem odd, but they have had many funny letters in the past not only in W and C. There are a lot of complaints in the letters and sometimes reader pick out mistakes from previous issues. It is certainly entertaining reading them.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Publishing letters on reader's pages which criticise and point out mistakes in a comic is occassionally amusing and something I'd consider quite mature for a comic instead of having a reader's page as pure propoganda, which is currently the case in the Beano.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Marvel Comics print letters pointing out mistakes quite often. You get the famous No-Prize for spotting one (which is exactly that, nothing!).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Marvel Comics print letters pointing out mistakes quite often. You get the famous No-Prize for spotting one (which is exactly that, nothing!).
Odhams' comics did it all the time as well in the 1960s.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:Publishing letters on reader's pages which criticise and point out mistakes in a comic is occassionally amusing and something I'd consider quite mature for a comic instead of having a reader's page as pure propoganda, which is currently the case in the Beano.
I agree - I remember one issue of the Beano around 2001 or so where one reader wrote in and complained to Dennis about always making fun of ballet dancers for being softies when they have to actually be very strong. Similarly, I read about another case where a reader asked Dennis why Biffo stopped talking (in the Sid Burgon strips - Dennis's 'response' was to ask Biffo why and he received the answer '' ''). Those kinds of letters do make the readers pages more interesting and show that the readers notice changes or discrepancies.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson