Guardian article: The Dandy Faces Closure

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

Raven

Guardian article: The Dandy Faces Closure

Post by Raven »

In today's Guardian (13/8/12):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/au ... CMP=twt_fd

"The Dandy, the UK's oldest children's comic and home to cartoon strip characters including Desperate Dan, the cow-pie eating cowboy, is facing closure after 75 years ... A spokeswoman for Dandy publisher DC Thomson confirmed that the closure of the print title was being considered as part of a review of the company's magazine business, but indicated that characters such as Desperate Dan would continue to exist online."

Nigel Auchterlounie

Re: Guardian article: The Dandy Faces Closure

Post by Nigel Auchterlounie »

Ouch! I wish this hadn't happened 6 weeks after being made redundant.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

If true why cant desperate dan still exist in print when the dandy merges with beano :(

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Very sad indeed to hear this [if indeed, this is the case--it seems to be going by this article] ---the end of an era , a part of British culture to disappear forever. Difficult to accept it won't be out there after a while, but doubtless there will be reprints and other retrospectives from DCT.

And who knows, maybe a new comic will spring up somewhere soon.
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 13 Aug 2012, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

Raven

Post by Raven »

big bad bri wrote:If true why cant desperate dan still exist in print when the dandy merges with beano :(
I doubt they'll merge.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Continue online? Yeah right, the Dandy's website is very basic compared to the Beano's. The only way Dan would survive if Dandy folds is by moving to the Beano.

But honestly, this is the Guardian. Or as some people like to call it, the Grundiad, due to their common errors. This story should've at least waited for the latest ABCs next week. Maybe the Dandy being absent from them is what makes them see doom.

Also, failing to make it to the anniversary makes a mockery of the front cover of the latest annual and the Art of History of the Dandy, which both mention the milestone.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Yes, this article said the Dandy cost '2p' in 1937----and here's me thinking that decimilization never started until 1971!

Ah well, the piece was probably written by a young whippersnapper.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Digifiend wrote:Continue online? Yeah right, the Dandy's website is very basic compared to the Beano's. The only way Dan would survive if Dandy folds is by moving to the Beano.

But honestly, this is the Guardian. Or as some people like to call it, the Grundiad, due to their common errors.
The Grauniad. And that's due to their *typos*, i.e. misspellings.

Digifiend wrote: This story should've at least waited for the latest ABCs next week. Maybe the Dandy being absent from them is what makes them see doom.

Or the DC Thomson spokeswoman confirming to them that the closure of the print title is being considered. What would be the point of waiting for the ABCs when Dandy is unregistered and won't show?

On BBC News, however: 'No decision' on Dandy's future

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-19248459

But that's just till that "print review" is done, I suppose.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Phew! Hopefully there will be a reprieve----they should at least span it out until December for the 75th Anniversary, even if they run at a loss----similarly, BUSTER made it to 2000, just by the skin of it's teeth......

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Now that BBC story is more like it. The Guardian are just looking for sensationalism. They jumped the gun.

ISPY, Buster is an example that shows a Dandy closure now would be history repeating itself. It stopped just short of it's 40th birthday. I definitely think they should give it another five months.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Raven wrote:In today's Guardian (13/8/12)
No it wasn't. It only appeared online. If it had been in the newspaper I would have informed the forum this morning.
Digifiend wrote:The Guardian are just looking for sensationalism.
The Guardian doesn't do sensationalism, Digi. It leaves that to the red tops........and hysteria to some comicsuk posters.

Raven

Post by Raven »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Phew! Hopefully there will be a reprieve----they should at least span it out until December for the 75th Anniversary, even if they run at a loss----similarly, BUSTER made it to 2000, just by the skin of it's teeth......

The point of view of a business, though, would be "Why would we run it at a loss?"

Anniversaries are things fans enjoy, but businesses want to make big profits, and wouldn't necessarily see things the same (although some individuals within the organisation might).

I expect a lot of companies will have to review their print publications as circulation figures continue to plummet.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

DCT have got millions, to keep the DANDY running 'til December would be the equivalent of me losing a fiver. I assumed that Buster only made it until 2000 [by one issue!] so it looked better in the History books.

Raven

Post by Raven »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:DCT have got millions, to keep the DANDY running 'til December would be the equivalent of me losing a fiver.
Yes, but they presumably have millions because they're astute businessmen, not sentimental run-things-at-a-loss types!

Nobody's saying it'd go that immediately anyway, though, if they do decide they retire it. This print review may take a little while, and presumably there are always quite a few issues printed ahead of their release.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Raven wrote:presumably there are always quite a few issues printed ahead of their release.
It always used to be five.