Judge Dredd Film

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

David McDonald

Judge Dredd Film

Post by David McDonald »

The trailer for the Dredd film is on the Telly over the last few days. Is anyone here going to see it?

Im looking forward to seeing it, I hope it dosent bomb and damage 2000ad like the last movie.
The most I can hope for is its a decent film and helps preserve the future of 2000ad.

David

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Judge Dredd Film

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

yes, David, I will certainly be going to see this...it looks a lot better than the 1995 film, which fell far short of the visuals of the 2000 AD epic sweep: this new one looks more promising, I expect it will be closer to the comics version, but to be honest , even with today's mega-budgets and CGI, I've never seen any live-action film with actors that came anywhere close to the vitality and fantasy of a drawn comic.

I'd love to see a big-screen version of Dredd epics like CURSED EARTH or JUDGE CHILD, but I doubt if Hollywood would take an interest .

Fingers crossed this is good,though...

starscape

Post by starscape »

I dunno, I think the recent Marvel films from the X-Men on, plus the Batman trilogy have been incredible. Not the same as the comics but just as good in their own way.

I changed my mind about the Stallone Dredd. I was denigrating it until a friend, who never read the comics, thought it was ok. He never knew about taking the helmet off etc, so I watched it as though I didn't know the background and quite enjoyed the film. I try that now with other comic movies and find they are better. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is one. Nothing like the comics. Watch it as an Indiana Jones spin off and it works fine.

That said, I'm not too keen on the Dredd trailer. I'll go and see it. Probably a couple of times. To me, Strontium Dog would work a lot better. Dredd is too futuristic. Too high tech. Alpha though is basically Mad Max. There's even a hint of super-powers. Not as well known as Dredd but then that's not stopping Marvel from putting out Blade or the Guardians of the Galaxy.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I see ROBOCOP is getting remade for next year---not a sequel, but a remake!

Dunno why Hollywood are playing so safe with endless remakes.....apart from unwillingness to take risks of course....

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I remember trying to justify him taking his helmet off in the old film as "well as the film is such a major milestone in Judge Dredd history, it's about time he did!". Anybody seen that issue of Zarjaz where the comic Dredd jumps into the universe of the film one? "I noo you'd say dat!" :lol:
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is one. Nothing like the comics. Watch it as an Indiana Jones spin off and it works fine.
Some people claimed they wrote it years ago (with no knowledge of the comics) as a film called "Cast of Characters", but it was shelved, then made "as" the film of the comics. Which would go some way to explaining the presence of some different characters and a competely different storyline!

presterjohn

Post by presterjohn »

I will probably go and see it. Thanks to the small budget it visually does not look half as good as the 1995 version did. I feel they may have got the character and story a lot closer this time though.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I will go & see dredd even though stallone nearly killed the franchise. i just wish they would stop the 3d nonsense as it makes cinema now way to expensive so it costs just as much to buy the blu ray/dvd.
But they are remaking the evil dead & childs play .Nooo! leave the classics alone.They destroyed nightmare on elm st but i prefered friday the 13th remake.