The Final Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

big bad bri

Re: The Final Dandy

Post by big bad bri »

Can anyone who owns a cooy definetly confirm the cover price £3.99 or £5.49.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

AndyB wrote:Yes, he was wearing a trilby. Three unnamed naked mischievous monkeys, who were definitely not the wise ones.
Whiskery Dick appeared in the Dandy in the late 40s early 50s

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

big bad bri wrote:Can anyone who owns a cooy definetly confirm the cover price £3.99 or £5.49.
It's right there next to the barcode on the back cover, so the cheaper price is definitely correct. The online shop overcharged.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

dandy mad wrote:
AndyB wrote:Yes, he was wearing a trilby. Three unnamed naked mischievous monkeys, who were definitely not the wise ones.
Never heard of him! Could someone with the Monster Index or Art and History book tell us the exact dates?

EDIT: Andy Fanton posted a preview of Bad Grandad on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 561&type=1

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Digifiend wrote:
dandy mad wrote:
Never heard of him! Could someone with the Monster Index or Art and History book tell us the exact dates?

EDIT: Andy Fanton posted a preview of Bad Grandad on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 561&type=1
Whiskery Dick No. 332 23/11/46 - No. 370 (29/3/48) and some one off strips in 1950/51
Last edited by dandy mad on 03 Dec 2012, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:? Thanks, but those issue numbers don't look right. The Dandy was still fortnightly at that time (weekly publication resumed in 1949), and even if it was weekly, 29/3/1947 would be issue 350. That date is actually issue 341.

If it did only last four months, that explains why I've not encountered it before - Ken definitely picked an obscure one!

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Digifiend wrote::? Thanks, but those issue numbers don't look right. The Dandy was still fortnightly at that time (weekly publication resumed in 1949), and even if it was weekly, 29/3/1947 would be issue 350. That date is actually issue 341.

If it did only last four months, that explains why I've not encountered it before - Ken definitely picked an obscure one!
Should have put 1948 for its last fortnightly appearance post edited accordingly.... :roll:

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

I've read the last issue good swan song for the last ever Dandy in paper form tbh

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

So I may be a bit mad doing this, but, I thought I'd take a long shot as my copy of the final Dandy still has not arrived. I've just been out for a drive to Sainsbury's, Tesco's, Asda and the Co-op in Stafford to see if I could get my hands on a copy.

Again, I've been left disappointed as there was not a single copy to be found (thinking as it's late, they might put copies out?). Even the Beano was only to be found in Sainsbury's and Tesco.

Now I'm hoping to high heaven that my copy will be waiting for me with the Postman tomorrow.....

NP

Post by NP »

booksandcomics wrote:So I may be a bit mad doing this, but, I thought I'd take a long shot as my copy of the final Dandy still has not arrived....
It's not actually published until tomorrow, only subscription copies have been sent out, as usual, a few days early. So don't panic yet, it's not in any shops. Don't even panic if it's not out on Tuesday.Ordered copies by mail are being sent out today so they won't arrive until Tuesday or Wednesday.

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Thanks for the reassurance! I'm just being annoingly impatient about it and too eager to wait!

blaing

Post by blaing »

Digifiend wrote:
big bad bri wrote:Can anyone who owns a cooy definetly confirm the cover price £3.99 or £5.49.
It's right there next to the barcode on the back cover, so the cheaper price is definitely correct. The online shop overcharged.
I don't think so, Digifiend. I think the DCT shop price includes postage and handling. (I paid nearly £7 for my copy)

SID

Post by SID »

If you are interested, just go to eBay and search for "Dandy last issue". You may be surprised on what people are trying to sell the last issue for. :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Ugh, look at the Facebook page, it's selling out fast. Go get it TODAY people!