The Final Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: The Final Dandy

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

WH Smiths and others sold out the last paper copy pronto today---so I went to a sidestreet newsagent, which had two copies left. I snapped one up while the going was good---the replica on numero One inside was the deal-breaker.

Surprizingly, not a great deal of reference in many of the strips regarding this was the very last 'traditional' Dandy: I'd have thought that the writers would have went to town on an 'end-of-term' extravaganza---

-----further proof, if it were needed, that the Dandy is mooted to continue in cyber-form.

Whether it will take off in this format, who knows? But I wish it the very best of luck in it's new appointment.

On the other hand, I expect the DANDY annual of years to come and any future reprint specials will outlive me!
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 04 Dec 2012, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Looked all over Southampton city centre. Couldnt find a single copy but Asda had last week's Dandy still on sale so I will go back again to look there tomorrow. I looked in WH Smiths, Asda, Co-op and Tesco Express and about four newsagents none had any Dandies and most had very few comics.

Terry

Post by Terry »

Been to 6 shops in Perth, including WH Smith and can't find it anywhere, just watched the Scottish news and I see it was getting sold in the middle of the St Enoch's Centre in Glasgow

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

In this part of the Big Smoke, any mention of the Dandy gets a pained look from every newsagent as it looks like they could have ordered 100 times their usual one or two and they would have still sold out.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Thankfully my local newsagent had mine although she put it on shelf as she didnt realise it was the reg dandy but then went to my local whs to buy an extra copy & they were all gone i will go west whs tomorrow as they should have some. The only story i never heard of was joe white & the 7dwarfs.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I went up to Chelsea on the way home from work but the WH Smiths that used to be there has gone. There was a middle aged bloke with a cloth cap in front of me looking at the comic sections in newsagents so I guess he was on the same mission as me - a fruitless one so far.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Couldn't find it anywhere in Manchester, not even at the usually-reliable WH Smith in the Arndale Centre. Hoping some shops will only have it from tomorrow - Asda in Wigan still had last week's issue on sale.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It wasn't in my local WH Smiths either - and just while I was there I saw a couple of middle-aged blokes disconsolately looking for it behind the Beanos.

I wonder if Thomsons will do a restock/reprint?

- Phil R.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I hope so, Phil: I'm pretty sure this one will sell well.

blaing

Post by blaing »

They'll have to. From what I have been reading, with the inability to get hold of a copy, there'll be a lot of disappointed people.

Even NewsStand is informing people not to purchase the issue until they can get hold of stock.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

No copies in Hull either. Greedy Ebayers must've snapped them all up! Reprint please, DCT, and print 500,000 this time!

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

There is a buy it now on ebay of the last ever issue of the Dandy already well over 1000 people have bought it from there. Which is buy far the most i've ever seen for a buy it now and it's going up fast it was a mere 300 this morning.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I don't understand this: Thomson must have KNOWN this one would have sold like hot cakes; however maybe they printed up more copies than usual and they STILL sold out! It was about 10 AM today I bought my copy-----and I consider myself lucky to have gotten one!

I'm certain there will be more reaching the shops before long, though.....

NP

Post by NP »

In my little village, the WH Smiths in town sold it's 20 copies by 9.15 this morning. Tesco haven't sold it for a year. Asda don't know what comics are. Sainsbury's looked like they were going to call the police when I asked, and all the independent shops don't sell The Dandy. We don't have a Waitrose.
I pre-ordered from the D C Thomson shop and that hasn't arrived, and I recieved a subscription copy every week until three weeks ago and upon telephoning today, i was told they had no record of me. Spooky.
So good luck finding one, and well done, the DC Thomson Comic Hiding Department, another brilliant job well done. (Note: Yes, some sarcasm evident there).

NP

Post by NP »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I'm certain there will be more reaching the shops before long, though.....
I wouldn't put money on it!