The Final Dandy

Discuss or comment on anything relating to Britain's longest running comic. The home of Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan. Has been running since 1937.

Moderator: AndyB

The Hornet

Re: The Final Dandy

Post by The Hornet »

Just been out to see if the Westwood Cross, Broadstairs branch of WHS, the only branch in my area that stocked the Dandy had any left. Well they had about 8 on sale, though not on the comic stand where they normally are but in a pile by one of the checkouts, where I nearly missed them, as I went to another checkout. I picked up a copy, just to have a spare. :) Steve (the Hornet) Saunders

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Wicked collecction adam i too collect many diff comics like peter mainly fleetway stuff but have got a load more dandy than beano as that seems easier to get on ebay than beano.i will have a count up of my individual issues to see hiw many 1000s i need lol

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

-MikeD- wrote:
Digifiend wrote:I hope they're still there tomorrow then (by the time I get there tonight, they'll be closed, I'm on Bransholme), thanks for that.
I just popped in and there's still four copies. It looks like 4 quid is a bit steep for my fellow council estate dwellers...
But there's only one copy of something called 'Animal Cuties' left... :lol:
Excellent. Kingswood and Bransholme had none, so I'll go there now. Just checked a map, I know where to go.

EDIT 3.35pm: And now there's 3 copies. Because I've got the 4th! Thanks Mike! Mission Accomplished! :D :up:

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I tried 3 whs in london + various newsagents & it was nowhere to be found.bloody ebayers i assume lol.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'd like to strangle the Tesco twit who decided to stop stocking the Dandy a few weeks back. I won't say any more as it involves loads of swear words (razzlefrackle.....)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Whoever made that decision, which appears to be national, should be sacked. They lost a lot of potential sales this week, no doubt about it.

SID

Post by SID »

I took the last two copies from WHSmiths in West Wickham this Tuesday. :D

But haven't seen any copies since then.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Had another fruitless trawl around Manchester tonight. Bah!

Earlier today the DC Thomson online shop appeared to be out of stock - but I checked again and now it's back on sale! Ordered! Hope it arrives soon (and hope that everyone currently trying to sell one on eBay for £15+ has their [redacted] shrivel up and fall off).

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

Couldn't find it anywhere round here, some shelves had small bare spots next to The Beano where I presume it would have been. I've decided to treat myself to the the signed Art & History Book + Last Issue deal from the website :D
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

SID

Post by SID »

Just been looking at eBay. There is one issue that has 21 bids and is currently costing £51 (plus £3.99 P&P). The next one is 12 bids for £21.

I don't blame the sellers if they think they can get away with it (especially the ones that may have put it down for a reasonable fee which has skyrocketed thanks to the bids). It's the bidders who I think are muppets. Especially as you can still get a copy from the DC Thomson website as confirmed by Paul above.

Muppets! :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Digifiend wrote: Tin Can, how the hell did that seller manage to get so many copies? The print run is 50,000, which must be 5 times the usual, but they have more than 2% of all stock? Can't be right.
He sold over 2,000 in the end. But now ebay is full of sellers trying to sell the last issue of the Dandy for silly prices even though you can get it off DC Thomson's online shop (which is where I bought it from).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

4% of the whole print run? I get the feeling they won't be able to fulfil the orders.

SID

Post by SID »

I know that Sainsburys near to where I work had run out on Wednesday but had a fresh set delivered today (which I bought the last three). The woman who served me told me that they were selling like hotcakes and they had to order more in.

The latest Dandy is currently selling at £16 in eBay just now.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

My mum had a look at that Dandy I bought yesterday. She couldn't believe that the 1930s version was so different to the modern issues (said something about the amount of text)... she probably thought it had always contained only picture stories, lol (my uncle, her brother, bought the Beano as a kid, but that was in the late 60s, by which time both it and the Dandy had no prose stories).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Sorry to double post, but I found a blog post about the final Dandy.
http://tainted-archive.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... e-bye.html