This week's issue Take 2

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Digifiend »

The only reason for that is that it's the Christmas issue. Probably £3.99 for 48 pages.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Look at it this way. The cancellation suggests that the Dandy was loss-making, so they will save more money in production than they will lose in sales!

I would guess that next week's Beano has a cover mount to head towards Christmas - the following week's will be the last one of the year.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

No, don't forget that they skipped two weeks last year, I think they're doing the same again. So next week's is the last one of the year (no issue on 19th or 26th), and the next one would be out on January 2nd.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

If they skip two weeks, they'll print on the 19th and skip the 26th and 2nd. Reason I say that is distribution - getting it into the shops for the 2nd could be interesting with the 1st being a bank holiday.

I miss the days when comics and magazines could print 52 weeks a year and the distributors would get them out no problems.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I definitely agree with that, that's one advantage of the Dandy's new model.

SID

Post by SID »

I must admit that the latest issue of the Beano looks good. Has Ken stopped during Minnie the Minx I wonder? If so what else is he doing? I know if I was in charge, I would be getting him to draw Desperate Dan (for the Beano). :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Well, we know that Ken was drawing the back cover of the final Dandy and a two page "proper" Dan for inside. I was wondering if he had been unwell.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

SID wrote:I must admit that the latest issue of the Beano looks good. Has Ken stopped during Minnie the Minx I wonder? If so what else is he doing? I know if I was in charge, I would be getting him to draw Desperate Dan (for the Beano). :D
You know, it may not be happening right away, but I can see Dan going into the Beano eventually. Bananaman and The Numskulls already have versions in both titles after all, and Jonah's been in both too, although not at the same time.

As for Ken, whether he's off Minnie or not, his workload just lessened, due to Min losing a page. So he'd have time for something new anyway. Given his age though, he may appreciate the extra free time.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Digifiend wrote:You know, it may not be happening right away, but I can see Dan going into the Beano eventually. Bananaman and The Numskulls already have versions in both titles after all, and Jonah's been in both too, although not at the same time.
Do you think there's a chance of that happening after Christmas, when the digital dandy has had a few weeks to get going.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Dunno. We do know more changes are happening, so I think there'll be something new after Christmas. I'm not about to second guess the editor's plans.

Gnasher

Post by Gnasher »

Digifiend wrote: I'm not about to second guess the editor's plans.
Well that would be a first...Oh my, there seems to a winged pig hurtling through the air at mach 2!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Pigs might fly, eh?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

As long as the pig is not called Harley!

(I'm now thinking of the wonderful Harp lager ad from 1992!)

I was wrong when I speculated about Wednesday's not being the Christmas Beano - I forgot the other principle, which was to maximise pre-Christmas sales of the one issue. It's £3.99, and the next issue is out on 3rd January.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Don't you mean 2nd? The 3rd is a Thursday.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Digifiend wrote:Don't you mean 2nd? The 3rd is a Thursday.
Delay due to the 1st being a bank holiday, I expect. (And the 2nd is in Scotland too, isn't it?)