Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

johnpaulmac

Post by johnpaulmac »

Hi everybody, I am John and am a new member to this forum. I suppose you will find that as a kid I was a very typical comic fan with an obsessional devotion to te Beano primarily. Beyond the Beano, my second affiliation was the Dandy with the Beezer and Topper occasional treats.

As I became more sophisticated around 12 or 13, I started to read the Roy of the Rovers. I guess this stayed with me for a few years and I certainly read it as my younger brother continued to buy it. At some point in about 1988 which was when I was 13 or 14 I had the great idea of sending my picture into the letters page and sure enough it was published. I received a letter from the editor congratulating me on my inclusion and enclosed was a postal order for £5 i think.

The letter remained in my sock drawer for the rest of my childhood but the particular issue has been long lost to me.

Now, I am not making a polite request for people to rifle through their collections on the off chance that you may have the issue I was in. Rather, I thought it would be more interersting to buy and random copy off ebay and see if the kid who had his or her picture published could be reunited with their issue. Much more fun that simply trying to find my own.

I have a blog which I have started recently and ask if you are interested to pop in and have a look, maybe even share the link if you think it would be fun to see if we can find the kid listed. I reckon the kid is probably about 35 by now and perhaps he has lost his issue to.
If successful in reunited him, I ask nothing more than another issue in return so we keep the quest going.

It would be simply enough to simply contact all of those with the same name on facebook etc but I would prefer that word gets passed around gently through forums such as this and shared on facebook amongst our own friends. Perhaps organically, over time, somebody somewhere will say, "thats me" or "I know him".

Sorry to ramble but if you are interested please click below. Naturely I welcome any feedback on the pointlessness of my efforts.

www.myroyoftherovers.blog.com

Thanks guys

john

stevezodiac

Re: new member

Post by stevezodiac »

A couple of years ago I did something similar by scanning the school football team photos in the Tiger and putting them onto the corresponding school site on Friends Reunited. Also when I see a child's name in the "This Book Belongs To" box at the front of an annual i have picked up I have sometimes checked to see if they are on friends Reunited. I often wonder if they would be pleased to be reunited with an item from their childhood.

johnpaulmac

Post by johnpaulmac »

Hi Steve, did you succeed in matching up many people?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Negative.

johnpaulmac

Post by johnpaulmac »

Thats a shame. I am prepared to accept that it will be very difficult but think it is worth the effort though. There must be many people with simple little memories from childhood who will identify with what you tried and I am trying to do. In any event, its a bit of fun and I have worked out how to produce a simple website so I'm getting something out of it.

As it turns out, my brother thinks that another submission to the letters page might have been from a kid in his class at school. I may not find the guy I am looking for but the reserve is certainly possible.

John

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Well I didn't really try with individuals. I don't have a face book account so unable to search there. And it may only have been one or two. The football teams were easier as they required no interaction with anyone. Just post the picture on the school site.

johnpaulmac

Post by johnpaulmac »

Well, we have had our first success. I received a message from the kid in the picture this evening. Hopefully it will not be too long before he is reunited with his issue. With a bit of persuasion, perhaps there will be photographic proof in due course.

Thanks to everybody who has taken the time to read what I have been trying to do. If people are interested I am sure there will be more comics out there to return to people with fond memories of particular issues.

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald »

Brilliant idea for a blog!

johnpaulmac

Post by johnpaulmac »

Coming soon to a blog near you. Adam Kelly will look even more excited than his hero Liam Brady when the power of the internet steps up to the challenge