Cristina y Sus Amigos - Manuel Cuyas

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

paw broon

Cristina y Sus Amigos - Manuel Cuyas

Post by paw broon »

Raking through non-English blogs and web sites, looking for suitable comics for CB+ , I found references to Cristina y Sus Amigos and the work of Cuyas.
http://factoriadelcomic.blogspot.com.es ... jores.html
He worked from Bunty, Judy, Sally, June and School Friend, House of Horror.
While a lot of you will be aware of this body of work, I wasn't and I wondered if anyone could tell me if the Cristina (Landers School) stories appeared in British comics. I can't imagine it wouldn't have been.
More here:-
http://rubengg.blogspot.com.es/2007/12/ ... migas.html

The links are in Spanish. My Spanish is poor and it took me ages to navigate and read.

RuthB

Re: Cristina y Sus Amigos - Manuel Cuyas

Post by RuthB »

No, Christina was done for the Spanish market only. It started in a magazine called Mundo Juvenil in the mid sixties and then it went through a couple of magazines in the seventies and eighties.
Actually Ediciones B just did a reedition of this last year, but they ony edited two volumes. I did the foreword for the second book, so I am quite familiar with this story, I have all of them.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Thanks, Ruth. It seems strange, given all the other good stuff that's turned up here, that Cristina hasn't appeared. Ah well.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

As a matter of interest, here are a couple of previously posted Bunty pages that Ruth was able to identify as Cuyas' work on the 'Sci-Fi Strips' thread:

-Phil Rushton

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And here's the beginning and end of a later Cuyas series that appeared in Bunty during 1984:

In these pages I'm particularly struck by the sheer expressionistic vitality of the penmanship he uses to create areas of dramatic shading. Fantastic stuff!

- Phil Rushton

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

He looks like the kind of artist who would have been used on Starblazer - was he?

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

He did a series for Sally's as well: can't remember the name and can't go now for the annuals: something of a castle. in fact, this series remind me a lot of Christina, as they are too a buch of friends living in a boarding school, this time in Scotland. I think is called Mad... something Castle. Sorry I doon't have my notes here, they are in my bedroom and yes, I know it is late but my other half is still asleep (works nights).

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yes - 'Mad Hatter's Castle'! :)

This has some fabulously lively group scenes with the same kinetic penmanship. Here's an example:

(Incidentally, Steve, I'm not sure if he worked on Starblazer but he did draw some horror strips for Dez Skinn's 'House of Hammer' magazine)

- Phil R.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

While I'm at it, I'm pretty sure that 'Wendy and the Wee Ones' - a modern version of Gulliver's Travels - was also drawn by Cuyas. Here's an example taken from the highly collectable Best of Bunty no.5, where the entire serial was reprinted in full:

- Phil Rushton

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Oh, this is great stuff. Thank you all. I have to track down more of this. You're right, Phil, according to one of the links I posted, he did work for HoH.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

He also did at least one episode of Jane Bond. And the Four Marys too.
Last edited by RuthB on 08 Jan 2013, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Here is a listing of his work in UK: http://www.deskartesmil.blogspot.ie/sea ... Cuy%C3%A0s

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Interesting that David Roach doesn't include 'Wendy and the Wee Ones'. Going by his signature on the sixth panel of this page (a rarity for DC Thomson) it clearly was drawn by Cuyas.

(Poor Wendy: just as she was on the verge of escaping from the land of the little people she woke up to find she'd been turned into one of them!)

- Phil R.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Maybe he didn't come across it, or the guy from the blog forgot! I will pass it to him tomorrow, though!
Last edited by RuthB on 09 Jan 2013, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

On reading the blog and seeing "Angela's Angels" from Jinty credited to him, I was very surprised. I'm currently re - reading all my Jintys at the moment and strangely enough, I was wondering who could possibly have drawn "Angela's Angels". Looking at it again, I can see something of Cuyas' style about it but I'd never have guessed it's actually his work.