Kindle

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

Re: Kindle

Post by paw broon »

I also have a Galaxy Tab 10.1. My wife gave me it as a Christmas present. I find it good for both comics and books. Someone on CB+ suggested Comixology for buying new digital versions of comics and I've found that to be easy and less expensive than paper editions. There are also some sites offering French G.N.s.
The tab does need re-charging quite often but, as I don't play games or watch films on it, the battery lasts a bit longer. I've downloaded some p.d. books from Project Gutenburg:-
http://www.gutenberg.org/
incl. John Buchan; Dickens; early Clifford Simak short stories;some French crime and thriller books.
The ability to expand a page of a comic is great and reading newspaper strips, Paul Temple is available on Bear Alley, for instance, is a treat.
Also, there are literally thousands of legal old comics available on comicbookplus and digitalcomicmuseum. And ,whether some of us like it or not, there are piles of British comic scans available on-line. (DC Thomson had no printed copyright notice on their storypapers up to the late1940's, I've just noticed)
I download files on my computer and transfer them via usb cable to the tablet to which I added an sd card for more storage.
Then you can take it with you and read anywhere off-line.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

paw broon wrote: (DC Thomson had no printed copyright notice on their storypapers up to the late1940's, I've just noticed)
Whether DC Thomson chose not to print a copyright notice on their publications or not, it is a fact that all of them are covered by copyright for seventy years. When I was doing some research into their story papers in the British Library in the early nineties I raised the issue of copyright there, with regard to Thomsons. They told me that Thomsons automatically renewed all their expiring copyrights. In the light of that information I formally asked Thomsons for permission to publish their copyright material in my Free Gifts In The Big Five, despite the fact that they knew I was writing it and were even doing a little of my research for me. It was obviously freely given, but people downloading copyright material like there's no tomorrow, from Thomsons or wherever, without even thinking of asking the copyright holder for permission to do so, can have no grounds for complaint if they are taken to court. A reasonable watchword would be Respect.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Yes, the "it's not copyright if there's no notice" rule only applied in the USA, and even there the loophole has been long since closed.

Famously, Night of the Living Dead didn't have a copyright notice on it, when first released, which allowed anybody to make and sell copies, even into the VHS era. This may actually have helped what was a low-budget B-movie with no advertising at all to become far more well known than it might otherwise have been.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Yeah, that and Its A Wonderful Life were replayed endlessly in America, helping to make them so popular. I think companies could kearn from that. Public domain for tge first might mean a classic with sequels that are copyright.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

OOOOOPS! Sorry I mentioned that now. My reply was re. Kindle/ Tab. for the most part and I have only recently noticed the lack of the notice and thought it was worth mentioning it. Not being as knowledgeable as many on comicsuk, it was interesting to me.
None of the above changes the fact that many people find a Galaxy tablet a good way to read comics and books. There are also more apps. Nor does any of what is written in the last few replies change the fact that, whether some of you approve or not, there are piles of scanned British comics out there. That is simply a statement of fact. I don't encourage anyone to read anything they do not wish to. So, Respect all round, I hope. :wink:
I would, however, encourage anyone with a tablet to have a look at Project Gutenburg. It has lots of fine p.d. books to entertain and educate.
Off to Bear Alley for all my Look & Learn tales and another fix of Paul Temple.
http://bearalley.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01 ... art-1.html

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

paw broon wrote:Off to Bear Alley for all my Look & Learn tales and another fix of Paul Temple.
If you are seriously interested in Paul Temple, I can fully recommend the radio serials that were broadcast between 1954 and 1968, which to people of my vintage are the definitive portrayals of Paul (Peter Coke) and his wife Steve (Marjorie Westbury). Each serial is composed of eight instalments of half an hour. They have been available on CD for a number of years so it should be a simple matter to buy them on line.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I have all the serials, on cassette and, more recently, c.d. I've been buying them since I found they were available. I think I first discovered them in a W.H. Smith locally. The modern remakes are also of a very high standard, imo. The release on dvd of the films was excellent and now, of course, there are the dvd releases of the t.v. shows. As a fan, I rushed out and bought them all - well, not quite rushed out, more sort of pointed the mouse to the listing on Amazon. Radio 4 Extra has been running Paul Temple stories for a while but now they are running Lord Peter, another of my favourite listens. Needless to say, I rushed out and bought the cassettes as they were released - that time I did rush out as I don't think there was an Amazon back then.
Despite that, thank you, Phoenix, for the post.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Coincidentally I picked up a copy of the 1951/2 Daily Mail Annual only this afternoon. As you can see this contains an original Paul Temple 'Spot the Clue' tale by Francis Durbridge, with illustrations by Alfred Sindall (who was also one of the artists for the newspaper strip):

- Phil R.