Advertising Strips

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Advertising Strips

Post by philcom55 »

Following Sue's recent suggestion on the 'Spot the Comic' thread here are two more advertising strips, this time from 1951. 'Energy Ernie' - an early British superhero?

(I tried Grape Nuts once and they were truly disgusting!)

- Phil Rushton

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Advertising Strips

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:I tried Grape Nuts once and they were truly disgusting!
I absolutely agree. I didn't finish eating my first bowl of the foul concoction, and have never returned for a second.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

They still make Grape Nuts as well! The cash-and-carry were selling them by the pallet-load for pennies, so we bought one for the shop, just as a tester. Hundreds and hundreds of boxes of the things, we couldn't even GIVE them away.

Meanwhile, back on topic - I like advert-comics. There's something insulting about them, the way they try and trick kids into paying attention.
I did a little round-up on some of the worst offenders of the 1980s and 1990s:

http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk ... hings.html
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

matrix

Post by matrix »

'Girl' comic started advertising strips in the first year of production with 'Candy's Kitchen', for Tate and Lyle sugar, could you tell us when Phil?

Another very popular advertising strip which I'm sure many already know, is the gas council strip 'What's cooking? with Carol and Chris', which ran from 1958 to April 64.

I have included two examples of 'What's cooking', one being the very first from the 2/4/58 and the other from 1963 signed by Roland Davies, several artists worked on these strips another being Chris Garvey, which shows the high standard of these strips.
Attachments
What.s.Cooking.1st.jpg
What.s.Cooking.Roland.jpg
Candy.s.Kitchen.jpg

matrix

Post by matrix »

Two more from 'Girl' comic in the early sixties, the 'Bovril Brigade!' and 'Robert Hirst raincoats'.
Attachments
Robert.Hirst.jpg
Bovril.Brigade.jpg

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Here's "Anglo Ace" from TV Tornado 7.10.67., different from the strip Lew posted. Not much to it, but it certainly looks snazzy! The same issue has a full-page anti-smoking strip by Tom Kerr, "A Shock For Bully Brown".
angloace.jpg
I don't mind Grape Nuts occasionally, but my Mum couldn't get enough of them!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

suebutcher wrote:The same issue has a full-page anti-smoking strip by Tom Kerr, "A Shock For Bully Brown".
Here's a few more:
http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2007/ ... xties.html

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

In the late 40's Mars had one called "Sammy Shuteye" which was truly bizarre. This kid would always have a job to do, but planned to have a nap first. Then somebody walking by would say something that reminded him of Mars bars (some of these were really stretched, for instance a chicken being described as a "good layer" reminded him of the Mars caramel layer), and he'd jump up and finish the job in double quick time, expecting a Mars as a reward.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

I have fond memories of the seven Clarks Commandos stories drawn by the great Tom Kerr that appeared in various boys' comics from 1969 - 1972 (The less said about the 1973 "Explorers in Space" drawn by a different artist the better!).

Steve Holland featured the Kerr strips (numbered as 0-6) over at bear Alley.

http://bearalley.blogspot.co.uk/search/ ... Series%200

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

...and I, of course, love the Frank Bellamy Walls Wonderman strips. See larger copies at my website here

ImageImage

And he did the Commando Gibbs series advertising tooth powder - his first comic strip work - see my long entry here

And needless to say, if you find any other Bellamy Walls strips, please let me know!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

http://www.agbarr.co.uk/ces_general.nsf ... -1953.html

These ads for

Irn Bru weren't in a comic but appeared in The Bulletin. Scroll down a bit.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

matrix wrote:'Girl' comic started advertising strips in the first year of production with 'Candy's Kitchen', for Tate and Lyle sugar, could you tell us when Phil?
Candy made her debut in the surprisingly trippy 'Adventures of Candy and Mr Cube'. Here's the very first installment from Girl Volume 1, no.21.

Personally I can't help thinking that Mr. Cube should have been enough to put most children off sugar for life! :shock:

- Phil Rushton

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

This attachment is just to support Mike's post about Sammy Shuteye. It appears in Adventure 1271 (May 28 1949).
Attachments
sammyshuteye.jpg

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's Girl's very first advertising strip - a one-off history of fireworks sponsored by Brock's that appeared in volume 1, number 1 (in effect a Fireworks Issue as it was dated Nov 2, 1951).

- Phil R.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Thanks for the dates Phil, that's a great 'Candy and Mr cube' looks like an Alice in Wonderland strip!

Two more this time from 'Princess Tina'. Has anyone seen the expression "kteeth" before?
Attachments
Super.mousse.000.jpg
Gumslinger.jpg