jellymen

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SMNW15893

jellymen

Post by SMNW15893 »

hi everyone, i am a new mwmber to this or any other forum so please bare
with me if i make a fool of myself as i do not yet know the etiquette of forums.

i have been, and still am a comic collector for about 45years and i am wondering if anyone remembers the jellymen fom the beezer i think. does anyone know when they started and finished.

Peter Gray

jellymen

Post by Peter Gray »

Info on Jellymen in Beezer as follows -
Series 1 Nos 212 (6/2/60) - 244 (17/9/60)
Series 2 Doctor Q and the Jellymen Nos 457 (17/10/64) - 501 (21/8/65)
Reprint of series 1 Nos 761 (15/8/70) - 793 (27/3/71)
The main hero in the Jellymen series was Prof 'Potassium' Roberts and he also turned up in 'The Year of Bedlam' Nos 270 (18/3/61) - 302 (28/10/61)
while the villain of the second series Doctor Q also made a belated reappearance in The Fearless Flints Nos 1466 (18/2/84) - 1497 (22/9/84) a strip also drawn by Ken Hunter.
from Kashgar

I've asked this already......go to the Beezer section......
I've never seen this story...except for one off pictures......so hope Classics show it one day.......

philcom55

Re: jellymen

Post by philcom55 »

Also I'm pretty sure I saw a new Jellymen story in one of the digests a couple of years ago. I was a huge fan of the original Beezer series as well. If anybody's interested I'll see if I can find a good example to post on the site.
Peter Gray wrote:I've asked this already......go to the Beezer section......
Actually I've been meaning to ask Andy about this. Seeing as I only tend to log onto the site via the 'Discussion' page to see if anything new has been posted I'd probably never even notice anything that appeared in a separate section. If, as I suspect, others do the same it means that such specialized postings will only ever reach a small section of Comics UK's membership. For instance I was recently thinking about broadening out Lew's mention of Ken Reid's Nervs and Kashgar's item on old celebrity strips, but this ceased to be an option after they got shunted into the Artists & Writers and Buster sidings respectively.

It may be that there is some question of webspace involved, but failing that I wonder if it would be possible to leave discussions like this in both locations at the same time (at least for a while) in order to maximize the potential readership...?

- Phil Rushton

AndyB
Throgmorton

jellymen

Post by AndyB »

The reason why not is that Discussion is the "catch-all" forum. It's for anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

There is zero point having other fora if they don't get used and this one gets all the posts. If it's about the Beezer, post in that forum - apart from anything else, you know your post won't get pushed down the list in this forum by other topics.

If a topic broadens out again, we can shunt it back in here. Not as if it's a permanent move - and we're fairly easy going about posts staying on topic anyway.

philcom55

jellymen

Post by philcom55 »

That makes perfect sense Andy, and I agree that it would be great to see all the fora buzzing with activity. However, in practice I can't help but wonder how many of the people who are now reading this thread would have even noticed it if it had been posted on the Beezer forum in the first place. To be honest this thought actually tends to discourage me from raising non-general topics at all.

At the same time I don't want you to think I'm criticizing Comics UK as a whole: to my mind you deserve a medal for everything you've achieved here! :)

- Phil Rushton

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:That makes perfect sense Andy, and I agree that it would be great to see all the fora buzzing with activity. However, in practice I can't help but wonder how many of the people who are now reading this thread would have even noticed it if it had been posted on the Beezer forum in the first place.

I must admit I've failed to notice some posts in the other sections too. I'm also aware that more people visit the Discussion section so I tend to post stuff here instead. Such as the one about the Ken Reid original artwork, which I felt most people here would like to see, as fans rarely see artwork up close (particularly the work of giants such as Ken Reid).

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

AndyB
Throgmorton

jellymen

Post by AndyB »

Whereas if everything goes in here, we might as well delete the other fora. No point having them - and if we use the fora properly, it'll draw people further down the page.

In the context of the number of posts we get, it's easy enough. It only takes ten minutes a day for me to keep up, and I have to read the lot...

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

AndyB wrote:Whereas if everything goes in here, we might as well delete the other fora. No point having them - and if we use the fora properly, it'll draw people further down the page.

In the context of the number of posts we get, it's easy enough. It only takes ten minutes a day for me to keep up, and I have to read the lot...

Appreciated. I wasn't criticizing the format. More of a criticism of myself for forgetting to delve through the other sections.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Peter Gray

jellymen

Post by Peter Gray »

If anybody's interested I'll see if I can find a good example to post on the site.
I've never seen this........except for Robert Nixon comic version in True Brit 1988.......so I love to see this...thanks..

AndyB
Throgmorton

jellymen

Post by AndyB »

[I can leave shadow topics when moving topics, but experience elsewhere says they can be slightly unpredictable when deleting the shadows - I prefer not to create them if I can help it!]

SMNW15893

Post by SMNW15893 »

yes phil i for one would like to see the jellymen once again.

philcom55

jellymen

Post by philcom55 »

Sorry guys - I've been trying to upload an image but it doesn't seem to be working for some reason! :(

Having dug out some old Jellymen strips I must say that that I'd forgotten just how visually inventive it was. For example the first episode starts off with a remarkable full-page picture of the sea - starting at the surface then moving further and further down into the deepest, blackest, unexplored depths; accompanied by a long caption about the mysterious secrets that still lurk, unsuspected in the depths. Great stuff - with more than a hint of H G Wells and John Wyndham! :D

- Phil Rushton

Peter Gray

jellymen

Post by Peter Gray »

oh man.I hope you can........hope this helps......

I created a quick website so I can download bits and pieces...

http://uk.geocities.yahoo.com/

using Geocities........it doesn't have to be for anyone else....but then you can use properties to get the code

display the code here then highlight it......and click on the image button.....it will then display here

philcom55

jellymen

Post by philcom55 »

Hooray - I think I've sorted it out!!! (Thanks for the advice Pete!) Hopefully this should display the first ever appearance of the Jellymen from Beezer No 211 (30th Jan 1960).

[img::]http://uk.geocities.com/philcom55/jellymen.jpg[/img]

If it works I'll try to follow it with a scan of the first complete episode which appeared the following week. :)

- Phil Rushton
Last edited by philcom55 on 12 Apr 2007, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

philcom55

jellymen

Post by philcom55 »

OK: fingers crossed...Here's page 1! And just to get into the spirit of a weekly serial I'll try to post the next two pages in instalments, as a special 'Easter Treat'! :P

[img::]http://uk.geocities.com/philcom55/jellymenAB.jpg[/img]

Incidentally, one thing that this series highlights quite nicely to my mind is the surprising sophistication of DCT's production department during the 1960s, given the fact that they were using very much cheaper paper and printing than their photogravure rivals like Eagle.

- Phil Rushton
Last edited by philcom55 on 12 Apr 2007, 15:56, edited 3 times in total.