Ever Been Frisked By A Security Guard?

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

DavidKW

Ever Been Frisked By A Security Guard?

Post by DavidKW »

I'm writing this as of now I'm traumatised when I was going to write some new comic topics:

On my way to the local library I nipped into Tesco in Middlebrook to see if there was anything worth buying in bargains/magazines/papers/DVDs and had a browse.

Having found nothing I left the store then felt a heavy ahnd on my should and an "excuse me mate" (first thought I was being mugged).

He said I had a big carrier bag and didn't go to the checkout and would like to search bag, talking to me like I was a criminal.

He only found the tat in bag including a big notepad with my notes for new comic topics.

He then was very apologetic about scaring me & expained you can't be too careful. I said I'm respectable & get worried when I accidently set off a security alarm.

Anyone else had that experience?

DavidKW

Re: Ever Been Frisked By A Security Guard?

Post by DavidKW »

Have read articles in papers like hte Daily Mail on over zealous security guards at Tesco who treat peple like dirt who've done nothing.

Will NEVER enter any Tesco again ever.

Too traumatised to think straight so new subject stuff another time.

Hope my face has not been posted via security camera.

All at end of rotten week off work, where comic searched have ended in disappointments too.

Will not order any new comics until I know I'm still in a job come Monday!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I walk quickly by nature [I do it without thinking, it's in my DNA] but some Security Guards clearly see this as suspicious, and I have been stopped a few times and asked to show the invisible contents of my bag.

I used to make a song and dance about it, and make sure I was embarassing the guard [and the shop] by loudly bringing the event to the attention of shop-visitors [this usually ensured they never bothered me again in that particular store in future] but happily it happens less and less these days.

Someone is stealing from shops and they have to check, I appreciate that, but it ain't me [or you, David] who's stealing stuff!!

Raven

Post by Raven »

DavidKW wrote:
He said I had a big carrier bag and didn't go to the checkout and would like to search bag, talking to me like I was a criminal.

He only found the tat in bag including a big notepad with my notes for new comic topics.

He then was very apologetic about scaring me & expained you can't be too careful. I said I'm respectable & get worried when I accidently set off a security alarm.

Anyone else had that experience?

Similar. I was followed out of a Tesco and up the road by a security guard a few years ago, for - I suspect - the same reason. I was carrying a big carrier bag and hadn't bought anything. I'd just been to a different food shop and the bag was full of products that Tesco don't even sell. I allowed him just a brief glimpse. Remember, you're not obliged to let him look, they're not the police.

I was quite offended, as it seemed very rude and out of order; clearly he had no evidence to go on, but just wrongly *assumed* something. I considered demanding to see the manager, but was in too much of a hurry, really.

It doesn't sound like you were frisked, if he didn't pass his hands over your body, and you certainly shouldn't allow him to traumatise you. If you're upset, you should consider writing a strong but polite letter to the manager (letter writing involves no confrontation to get anxious about) about how badly it's shaken you, and how you're considering writing to head branch and the local papers. You should get an apology; maybe some vouchers.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I was searched quite a lot when I travelled away with Millwall back in the late 70s early 80s - problem is i'm ticklish which the cops found highly amusing.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

ooh, you kinky devil, you, Steve!

starscape

Post by starscape »

I don't see the security guard did anything wrong. You gave the signs of a potential shoplifter (something that costs this country millions - with one in three admitting they have done it), you presented evidence that you hadn't. The guard apologised and nothing further was taken against you.

The alternative is: the guard ignores the signs, doesn't approach potential shoplifters, more gets taken and prices rise. Here, nothing much happened. Someone did their job, trying to stop a potential shoplift and apologised once evidence was presented they hadn't.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Raven

Post by Raven »

As in those shoplifting "documentaries" we see on Channel 4, approaching and accusing a customer should be based on cast iron proof: they must have seen you select, conceal, and leave without paying for one or more items, observing this via security cameras, or having observed it in person. Leaving a shop without buying anything does not "give the signs of a potential shoplifter," so on what basis - a hunch? - did he search through a private bag (which he has no right to do anyway)? The behaviour was extremely unprofessional.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'd guess that most of us have experienced something similar at one time or another. Less common but much more worrying is the fact that stores are legally entitled to ban people from all their branches simply for 'acting suspiciously'! :shock:

- Phil R.

matrix

Post by matrix »

starscape wrote:I don't see the security guard did anything wrong. You gave the signs of a potential shoplifter (something that costs this country millions - with one in three admitting they have done it), you presented evidence that you hadn't. The guard apologised and nothing further was taken against you.

The alternative is: the guard ignores the signs, doesn't approach potential shoplifters, more gets taken and prices rise. Here, nothing much happened. Someone did their job, trying to stop a potential shoplift and apologised once evidence was presented they hadn't.
I take it this reply is a joke? In case it is not, could you explain what signs David gave of a potential shoplifter? I've read his post several times trying to work out how someone with a big carrier bag, that does not go to the checkout, is a potential shoplifter?

And no, I am not one of the one in three that have shoplifted.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Not a joke. I'm interpreting that not everyone is stopped if they don't shop. Security guards have signs they look to. If it relies on only catching those red-handed and not acting on suspicion, then be prepared to pay a lot more. Be far more terrorism too in that case.

I still see nothing much happened here. All he was asked for was to show that he didn't shoplift. He did. Guard apologised. End of. Wouldn't offend me.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

matrix

Post by matrix »

I agree totally with Raven's second post so I do not want to repeat his views, but I am still confused as to how David acted suspiciously, what did David do that made the security guard stop him?

In this situation we have to look beyond our own selves becausce everybody is different, it might not affect you, myself, or many others, but David was obviously Traumatised by this event, as well many others may feel the same if it happened to them for whatever reason.

Tescos and every other store have a Duty of care to keep their customers safe in their store, if somebody comes out of a store traumatised by no fault of their own then I suggest they have a strong case against that store, for it was Tescos that have the problem not David. They need to upgrade their security and at least warn innocent people that if they look like this, or act in a certain way they could be stopped and searched.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Speaking as someone who worked in security for twelve years, and started out as a retail security guard, I cannot see that the guard did anything wrong here, and I'm baffled by the apparent hostility being exhibited by some posters here to a man doing the job he is paid for. Nobody likes being stopped (and yes, I have in the past been stopped by a guard myself, in a branch of Focus Do-It-All as I recall) but the fact is, people do shoplift, it costs stores millions each year, and they are entitled to take precautions. It is impossible to avoid sometimes stopping innocent people by mistake, but there's no personal affront intended. You do not have a God given right to be considered to be above suspicion, and if you're wandering around with a large, open bag, you are going to be considered a potential risk. Get over it and move on, is my advice.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

matrix wrote: Tescos and every other store have a Duty of care to keep their customers safe in their store,
The guard did nothing that affected anyone's safety. He simply did his job.
if somebody comes out of a store traumatised by no fault of their own then I suggest they have a strong case against that store, for it was Tescos that have the problem not David.
If somebody comes out of a store actually traumatised by simply being approached by a security guard, I'm sory, that is in no way the fault of the guard or the store. That is an absurd overreaction.
They need to upgrade their security and at least warn innocent people that if they look like this, or act in a certain way they could be stopped and searched.
How should they upgrade their security? If you don't believe that a security guard is an acceptable precaution, what would be? And it should be a matter of common sense that if you are wandering around a store for any length of time, carrying a large bag and showing no signs of buying anything, you are acting suspiciously.

matrix

Post by matrix »

I think you have over reacted yourselve Tony and sound like a very sensitive ex security person.

If you read Davids post he said there was a heavy hand on his shoulder not just approached by him.

I would have thought that a big store like Tescos would have lots of cameras with a person manning that, directing the guard to someone that has actually stolen something?

I see loads of people shopping with big bags in other shops I do so myself but have never witnessed anything like that, and I will say again what did he do wrong?