This week's issue Take 2

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Gilly

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Gilly »

Digifiend wrote:Tricky Dicky was good, but contradicts the continuity in the other strips, as Terminator was the Headmaster, supposedly of Bash Street School... but they already have two Heads, the one established in BSK, and Mr De Testa, introduced in the 2009 Dennis cartoon and who appeared in the two most recent Billy Whizz episodes. That continuity error was major enough that it's axing was unsurprising. De Testa can be explained as replacing BSK's, but Terminator doesn't fit in the equation at all.
It will be interesting to see if the BSK Head is gone for good. The same there goes for the Janitor, Winston and Olive.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

big bad bri wrote:I wish we had the return of the original tricky dicky from the topper comics this one was nothing like the original just like when dandy ruined thingymablob ( however you spell it) & other established ancient characters lol ,but I do like the look of the new nick Kelly strips in the new beano book
They might as well have just given the character's new names. They were completely different ones. I can't see why they needed to use the names of old characters when probably less than 1% of their readership would be familiar with them.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Raven wrote:Roger the Dodger has had some great artists in its time, but I always found it quite a dull strip with quite lame humour; I don't think it ever really made me smile or smirk. Jamie Smart has made it ... funny! I don't think it's ever crackled with fun like this before. Would any long-time Beano fans agree that he's transformed it and the strip is at its most amusing under him?
I can't read it. It looks like multi-coloured vomit across the page, and is too sore on my eyes. Perhaps if he wrote the scripts for a more accomplished artist, it might work for me. Far too juvenile-looking as it is.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

And that is why everyone is different. I am not a fan of his Desperate Dan, but really enjoy his Doctor Who stuff.

Also, while I know we don't all like each and every artist, can we just keep the criticism to a less descriptive level? After all, we do have a membership that is of all ages.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

colcool007 wrote:And that is why everyone is different. I am not a fan of his Desperate Dan, but really enjoy his Doctor Who stuff.

Also, while I know we don't all like each and every artist, can we just keep the criticism to a less descriptive level? After all, we do have a membership that is of all ages.
But that's exactly what it looks like to me, 007. How else could I word it? And considering The Beano does fart jokes and has done visual vomit jokes in the past, I don't think my description is likely to upset or horrify younger members.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:I doubt they'd cancel it just because of some silly concern over continuity. If they really wanted to they could just fit in with the current continuity or just carry on regardless and maybe instead of explicitly setting it in Bash Street School set it somewhere else like Blob Street School or just make no mention of what school it takes place in.
BSK had the Beano High error (the kids are too young for that) which was quickly retconned as a new Bash Street School building. Tricky Dicky could have avoided the continuity blunder by not naming the school, that's true. It wouldn't have been unrealistic for Beanotown to have three primary schools after all. As you say, BSK actually named another school in the past.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Kid Robson wrote: It looks like multi-coloured vomit across the page, and is too sore on my eyes. Perhaps if he wrote the scripts for a more accomplished artist, it might work for me. Far too juvenile-looking as it is.
I prefer the term 'psychedelic', myself! The art and script seem almost inseparable to me, the art having a frenetic style that matches the outburst of nutty ideas. I imagine with another artist and regular lettering, etc. it would probably look more restrained, and not as good, though J.S. writing for other artists could be good as well, as he certainly writes funny.
Last edited by Raven on 16 Aug 2013, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Watch-Hog's joke this week was predictable (a complaint about a postie, of course the pig would call on his canine friend to deal with him) but the artwork was decent, the postman's reaction is priceless.
Fair enough (and thanks for the compliment on the artwork). It's set me wondering though; at which point in that 3 panel mini-strip did you predict the ending? :D
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I was actually thinking that Postman Prat had moved town and lost some weight!

Jamie has indeed worked with other artists - I only personally know of his collaboration with Brighti on Hairy Steve.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Digifiend wrote:Watch-Hog's joke this week was predictable (a complaint about a postie, of course the pig would call on his canine friend to deal with him) but the artwork was decent, the postman's reaction is priceless.
Fair enough (and thanks for the compliment on the artwork). It's set me wondering though; at which point in that 3 panel mini-strip did you predict the ending? :D
As soon as I knew it was about a postman. In other words, when I saw your blog post.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
As soon as I knew it was about a postman. In other words, when I saw your blog post.

Far enough. I suppose showing part of the last panel was a bit of a giveaway. :lol:

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

Anyone else get the wrong battlerz in this weeks issue, 24th Aug (#3699 I reckon)?

My son is disappointed it came with another Minnie and Smiffy, bah.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Spoilers for tomorrow...

Nice to see more Beano characters getting strips again...Smiffy and Fatty..
Also news of Lews new strip Not so horrible Histories

The cover is nice and shiney with the robot cover..

Who is drawing Calamity James? not an easy challenge when Tom Paterson has set the bench mark so high!!

Nice maze with the Pup Parade also liked Korky the cat last week..;0)
mega mega Mootants will be interesting over the weeks..

I'm loving the funny Bananaman...loved last weeks people reduced to dust (very 60's Batman movie)

Roger is zany...like the whole comic and loving Minnie and those title panels difreent every week..

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote:Spoilers for tomorrow...

Also news of Lews new strip Not so horrible Histories
That's not by me. My two new strip ideas have only just been approved, and I haven't even drawn one of them yet so it'll be October at least before they start appearing.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Looking again it must be by Laura H...

Look forward to your new strips Lew...