Hello everyone

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Prodigal

Hello everyone

Post by Prodigal »

Hi folks-I think I ignored protocol and decorum a few weeks back by jumping straight into a thread before introducing myself.

By way of background info, I was fanatical about British comics as a relative young 'un before departing for superheroes and Americana. A mere 30 years later I re-dipped my toes in the waters of Brit and was consumed by a tidal wave of new found appreciation for my roots. I haven't read a superhero title in years as a result.

Great forum this btw guys. I have been enjoying a good trawl through it.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Hello everyone

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

My good Mr Prodigal,

---we bid you most welcome, and I hope your stay will be long, fruitful and enlightening.

Kind regards, Rab

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:My good Mr Prodigal
I am reassured this afternoon, Rab, to see that you are again capable of reproducing people's names accurately. I will admit to some concern when I noticed that you recently addressed one of our senior and much-respected posters rather insultingly as Mr Russell. At first I thought it was a mistake, but given that you surely can't have failed to notice that Phil appends both his Christian name and his surname to every one of his posts, I am unsure of the reason. Perhaps it was a kind of blindness that seems to affect others as well. On another thread a different poster asked Phil if he would sell him his Glow Mask, despite having been told by Phil less than twenty-four hours earlier that he no longer has it. Thinking about it, perhaps Phil is the one at fault. Nah, can't be.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Aw. and here's me thinking that Rab had confused me with the author of the Principia Mathematica (I get that a lot!). Also, I could be wrong but I think the Kid was offering to buy my maskless copy of the Topper.

- Lord Bertrand Rushton :)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Phoenix I was hoping you could answer my question in the What The Papers Say topic. I thought you were away on holiday.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry, Phil [Rushton] : 'Phil Russell' was instrumental in the founding of Anarcho-punk band Crass, a subject outside this forum I take an interest in....... and I got my lines crossed---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_Hope

I have a bad habit of writing very quickly, and I do apologize.

Mister Schmidt

starscape

Post by starscape »

Ah, Steve Ignorant and Christ the Album. Was a bit more into Conflict and Chumbawamba myself. Ever heard Custom Rock on the Ungovernable Force?
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Raven

Post by Raven »

I wonder if Prodigal is wondering what's happened to his introduction thread!

Welcome, Prodigal. What British material was it that you initially re-dipped your toes into that sparked off the new found appreciation for your roots?

Prodigal

Post by Prodigal »

Raven wrote:I wonder if Prodigal is wondering what's happened to his introduction thread!

Welcome, Prodigal. What British material was it that you initially re-dipped your toes into that sparked off the new found appreciation for your roots?
:)

Enjoying the craic of a close knit forum Raven. Don't worry about that.

Raven a few years ago a friend moved home and announced that she had found comics in the attic of the new house. Stuck in superhero mode I imagined ancient, retirement fund boxes of my favourite superhero material only to be disappointed when she brought a range of old 70's annuals into work (mostly Lion and Valiant). My heart sank with disappointment. I then took them home and started reading them. Insert nuclear mushroom cloud. I loved them. All those old characters and strips seemed to fall out of the pages and grabbed me. At the same time I was growing weary of the superhero genre after a life-time's affections. There then followed a lot of money being spent on line on a ton of material and I haven't looked back (I haven't bought a super-hero comic in years though I still have a sizeable collection).

I was a huge British comic fan as a young 'un. I am now home. The Prodigal has returned as it were.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Whats your top three favourite British adventure stories you like..
and welcome..

Prodigal

Post by Prodigal »

Peter Gray wrote:Whats your top three favourite British adventure stories you like..
and welcome..
Peter when I came back to the fold there were three strips in particular that grabbed me by the lapels and screamed how could you ever have forgotten me?!

1. The Steel Claw.
2. Adam Eterno.
3. The Spider.

However as I read on and immersed myself in my Brit comic roots, far more besides re-lit my imagination-Janus Stark, Tim Kelly and the eye of Zoltec etc. Then Spellbinder spell-bound me (oh the joys of the Valiant book of Mystery and Magic) and a whole new list of old chums emerged who had been treated badly by me.

starscape

Post by starscape »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:'Phil Russell' was instrumental in the founding of Anarcho-punk band Crass
And, despite Crass never being on the BBC as soon as Steve Ignorant is mentioned...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23851982
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Enjoyed the steve ignorant video - seems like a nice chap. I bought every punk record going back in c1980 including Crass (unaware in my youth that their politics were the exact opposite of mine). I still listen to Discharge who, I believe, were the founders of thrash metal. I noticed the bbc cut that live clip just before the lyrics "Owe us a living? Course they f**king do".

On reflection perhaps I should have written this post all in lower case?

PS Hello, glad to welcome a new member who seems to have a ready wit. (no that's not rhyming slang). I still enjoy the superhero stuff but only by way of the Essentials and Showcase volumes of 60s reprints. i still have a soft spot for Cap and Iron Man and, if I had the space, would still be buying the Marvels Legends UK monthly.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm getting into Valiant more as well ..and like the 70's Lion and thunder best..

so you like Smash! the later version then...;0)

Whats your favourite three comic pages?

Prodigal

Post by Prodigal »

Peter Gray wrote:I'm getting into Valiant more as well ..and like the 70's Lion and thunder best..

so you like Smash! the later version then...;0)

Whats your favourite three comic pages?
Favourite 3 pages Peter?

I wouldn't know where to start.