Country Music

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Kid Robson

Re: Country Music

Post by Kid Robson »

Jim Reeves rules.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

In case anybody's interested, I've just noticed that the ubiquitous Edwina Hayes is the special guest support act of Fairport Convention on their 31-date British tour starting at the end of January. I was quite surprised recently when I was watching the film My Sister's Keeper to hear a lovely rendition of a song called Feels Like Home. I wasn't sure who was singing it so I waited through the credits to find out. Yes, it was Edwina. And she's improved her finger picking. You can hear it on YouTube. There is one with the relevant clip from the film, which gives you something of the tragic setting, the young girl having terminal cancer, but you can hear the song better by selecting pouncepaw's upload with lyrics. Again, for those who are interested.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There is a documentary about Jim Reeves on bbc radio this week. I noticed it in the Radio Times. Can't remember which station or which day but either radio 2 or 4.

Sweeny Toddler

Post by Sweeny Toddler »

Waylon Jennings was an absolute God!! :notworthy:

I'm also a fan of Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Jimmie Rogers and of course the Hillbilly Shakespeare Hank Williams.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

A year or two back we were talking about Sandy Denny on this thread. I've just noticed that there is some archive footage of her on Singer/Songwriters at the BBC at 10 o'clock on BBC4 this Friday (6 June). Several other folk artists from the 60s and 70s are featured, such as Leonard Cohen, Julie Felix, Tim Buckley, Joni Mitchell and Paul Simon. As far as Sandy is concerned, it will give younger members who never saw her an opportunity to understand what the fuss was about, and why she is so revered by those of us who did.