Graham Kibble White

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Dunder Ed

Graham Kibble White

Post by Dunder Ed »

After reading Graham Kibble Whites book on comic I was just wondering whether he has ever been on this forum?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Graham Kibble White

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Not to my knowledge, Ed----unless of course he is hiding behind a ficticious user-name.

I often wonder if 'name' comics contributors/historians/editors sometimes join the forum anonymously, to get an unbiased handle on their works......

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

Betcha they do!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

His chapter on `Sparky` was ill-informed to say the least! He has done some DVD reviews for Dr Who Monthly mag- pretty badly in my opinion!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

alanultron5 wrote:His chapter on `Sparky` was ill-informed to say the least!
I bought his book The Ultimate Book Of British Comics shortly after it was published in 2005, but I couldn't remember offhand why I felt so much disquiet about it at the time, so I looked it out again this evening. I remember now. It was his habit of making incorrect statements that he could easily have checked for accuracy in advance.

In his Introduction he says that in the book, You'll discover who appeared where. He then goes on to say about Thomsons' output, First up was Adventure in 1921, which boasted the exploits of The Wolf Of Kabul amongst others. Well, there were fifteen serials about the Wolf, and three completes, but they appeared in The Wizard. In his entry for The Victor, he makes two fundamental errors in his third paragraph. First, he says that the character Sergeant Matt Braddock was plucked from the pages of Wizard mk 1....., when he was a stalwart in The Rover. Secondly, and considerably more unforgivably, he continues .....for the terse prose piece I Flew With Braddock. Alongside him there was just one other text story, Come Away The United. If only he had taken the trouble to check his facts, he would have seen that both those serials are in picture strip form.

The point I'm basically making here is that as I know the Thomson papers pretty well, I see such mistakes, but if I want to read his comments on papers I don't know much about, I can't know whether the information I'm reading is accurate or not. I'm not even sure I can forgive him for telling me that The Magnet and Gem were distant memories, both coming unstuck in 1940, given that I know The Gem breathed its last in 1939.

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

It wasn't you was it Phoenix who had the library copy of his book last? Some underlining and comments would, to say the least, prove someone else wasn't happy with the book either.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

To be honest, I saw a couple of errors as well. But the problem is that most of the buying public will never care about minor errors in a book about comics. Whereas, we can see where those mistakes are and they are glaringly obvious to us.

And in answer to the first question, I believe he may peruse the boards, but he has never registered as far as I am aware.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Dunder Ed wrote:It wasn't you was it Phoenix who had the library copy of his book last? Some underlining and comments would, to say the least, prove someone else wasn't happy with the book either.
No, I've never needed to use a library copy, as I have my own. In any case, the only library I have used over the last decade is the British Library in St Pancras. Which library had the copy you are referring to, Dunder Ed? You didn't say.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I myself quite enjoy 'Kibbers-me-hearties' incisive style of writing, and I often use his book as a basic comics overview.

Near the end of his book, he laments:

This is a story with a sad ending......

Never a truer word said about the History of this medium.....

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

Phoenix wrote:
Dunder Ed wrote:It wasn't you was it Phoenix who had the library copy of his book last? Some underlining and comments would, to say the least, prove someone else wasn't happy with the book either.
No, I've never needed to use a library copy, as I have my own. In any case, the only library I have used over the last decade is the British Library in St Pancras. Which library had the copy you are referring to, Dunder Ed? You didn't say.
It was just a copy from my local library in Exeter. The person who had last read it underlined all the problems.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Dunder Ed wrote:It was just a copy from my local library in Exeter. The person who had last read it underlined all the problems.
Thank you for your reply. Exeter is a place I pass through on my fairly frequent journeys to and from St Erth. I can only remember one occasion though when I had to get off the train there, rather than at Plymouth, but I didn't leave the station. Your city's delights still remain therefore to be explored on some future occasion.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Under one dealer's table quite late on at Sunday's Comic Fair I saw what looked like a pristine copy of Mr Kibble-White's chef d'oeuvre on offer at £9.99, a reduction of a fiver from the cover price. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that he had had to take it home with him.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

He covers too many aspects and loses a lot in accuracy! I still find his `Dr Who` reviews very poor!
A Face unclouded by thought.