What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

George Shiers

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by George Shiers »

stevezodiac wrote:Went to the comic fair in London today but didn't buy any comics as i now think i have enough for anyone. Picked up 30 original gag cartoons from Phil Clark. I think they are from the back of the IPC Smash! but something tells me I could be wrong as I have every issue of that comic and none of these cartoons rings a bell - also they seem slightly adult for a children's comic.
Perhaps they are from the Cor book of Gags? Or the Buster book of Gags?
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

ARTIST Ángel Nadal. Certainly look like Smash. I'll check
later.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Kashgar wrote:ARTIST Ángel Nadal. Certainly look like Smash. I'll check
later.
I thought those kids had a look of early Buster about them.

My own major purchase was a nice page of signed Jesus Blasco art (presumably from one of those educational weeklies like Tell Me Why). It appears to tell the story of a pair of obscure star-crossed historical lovers - goodness knows who they are or what's going on though! :?

- Phil Rushton

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I showed the Smash ones here but there were a few by Fiddy as well - mostly wordless cartoons. Sorry, Phil but I went there with a £100 and Phil was happy to take £100 for the cartoons. There was a older chap who bought just one of the cartoons which annoyed me.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

No problem Steve - I'm just glad they went to a good home (and I've already got one of Fiddy's Ranger cartoons that cost me 50p a couple of years ago! :) ). Were there any other artists represented btw.

Incidentally it would have been nice to meet up and say hello as we both seem to have been there at the same time. Unfortunately I only decided to go at the last minute; next time I'll try to give some advance warning.

- Phil Rushton

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

On second thought I think they look more like Make Buster
Laugh gags. Arthur Martín was the Smash gagster.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Managed to have a look at a couple of years of Buster and these cartoons are definitely from the feature 'Make Buster Laugh'. I even managed to track five of them down.

'Fancy Dress' D Sellars Scarborough 27/4/63
'Ran out of Hamsters' S Shockley Rillowell 4/4/64
'Charge Full Fare' F Olma Doncaster 18/4/64
'Beautiful View' W Rynejski Penrith 2/5/64
'Mystery Tour' E bodley Manchester 1/8/64

The first four were printed in full colour.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Thanks for your detective work - I don't have a broadband connection at home as still moving so replying from work. I would have been looking at late 60s early 70s IPC titles. I don't have as many early 60s Busters.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Knowing IPC I wouldn't be at all surprised if they turned up again in a later Summer Special or something. Bet the readers who submitted them didn't get payed twice though! :)

- Phil Rushton

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I'm not sure if these qualify here-so apologies if i'm wrong to mention them, but I got hold of two `Monkees` annuals! One was the orange covered one, called "Whatever Happened to Peter Tork"? It has a 1968 copywrite. The other has a cartoon cover of three of the group pasting a composite poster of a photo of Mickey Dolenz. This has a 1969 copywrite! I reckon the 1969 one must be rather rare, as by 1969 the Monkees were well gone as a chart force in the UK!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Bethanys grandad

Post by Bethanys grandad »

At the first bootie of the season I got 6 starblazers and 4 1960s Alan Cass comics

starscape

Post by starscape »

Just started a collection of last issues of Alan Class Comics. There's not a single mention or hint in any of them.

There's just something about last issues that are interesting.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Sweeny Toddler

Post by Sweeny Toddler »

The Topper annual 1983 1984 1985 1987
Dennis The Menace annual 1983
Bash St Kids 1982
Shiver and shake annual 1984
Beano and dandy comics in the classroom 70 years

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Well, this weekend, I picked up a few comics. Issues 1 to 6 of The Establishment, Rough Cut's The Freedom Collective, Issue 391 of The Hornet, 570 of The Hotspur and 1703 and 1726 of Adventure. Also picked up a few more autographs as I mentioned in the SBA thread and a very nice sketch from Graham Manley.

Last weekend it was a nice handful of Commandos from that very nice Commando CO and sketches from Jim Devlin and Dan McDaid.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Not so much bought today as, arrived today. From Bear Alley Books, The Man Who Searched For Fear, with close on 150 pages of lovely Bill Lacey art. Apart from the title story, there are 2 others, Agent of The Queen and an adaptation of Great Expectations. All from Look and Learn. A real feast for old eyes punished and saddened by the likes of that new cover for the new Teen Titans comic. Don't get me started!