Dreams and Nightmares.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hard Truths

Re: Dreams and Nightmares.

Post by Hard Truths »

Every night I see the electric cookies.

Sweeny Toddler

Post by Sweeny Toddler »

I dreamt I was a labourer again last night and was offered a job a "boardsman." I was told I didn't have to take it but I thought I've spent so much on comics this week I better do it. So when I got there there was a gang of about 10 of us and we split into pairs and the first pair went up to do the job. The job was to go 100ft up to the top of the building and hang off the roof with one hand holding on to a rope with no harness and attach as many hooks to the roof as you could before you were to tired/sore from holding on to attach any more hooks.

The first pair came down and the second pair went up, and a few minutes later there was a loud crash and one of the guys was on the ground covered in blood after he had fallen from the roof. His mate was talking to him saying "you'll be alright, you'll be alright" but he was saying "no I'm not I'm finished."

While I was waiting for my turn to go up, (me and another guy were the last pair) there was the usual slagging and banter going on among all of us. I remember thinking why don't they just use a harness and that way the job would be a lot less dangerous and we would be able to stick a lot more hooks onto the roof. We would probably get paid a lot less though. Then it was my turn so me and my mate started climbing up to the roof.

Then I woke up, and it was only after I woke that I realised there had been a harness all the time, and the guy who fell 100ft off the roof, really only jumped the last 2ft off after covering himself in tomato sauce, and the whole thing had been a prank because I was the new guy on the gang.

Capital wheeze!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

a nice story, sweeny!

I often dream I am hanging by my fingertips, from a skyscraper/high cliff.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

As a migraine sufferer the only way I shift them is by sleeping and the meds I've been prescribed with don't really help anyway when I'm asleep through having a migraine my dreams seem to be like a very intense LSD trip where everything is very distorted the things I've dreamt are unfathomable with an overwhelming feeling of peace but when I'm not having a migraine attack and sleeping normally I don't get the trippy dreams at all

DJDogfart

Post by DJDogfart »

Like some other posters, I often dream that I am in an old newsagent, browsing the sumptuous shelves of comics circa '72. The best dreams are the ones that seemingly make no sense though, but are astoundingly vivid (HD if you will):
The night before last I was walking down a street near our home, turned left into a country lane and 2 of the cast of Dad's Army walked up to me and asked if I was going to the local later to the Dad's Army convention(can't remember which characters)
I said maybe and walked a bit further and came to a set of descending stone steps. I went down and there was a muddy gully at the bottom so I had to jump over, and, up on the hill in front of me, there was a massive 4 storey house. I went to the house and inside were loads of my relatives, but as they appeared to me in about 1978!
my Gran was there ( she died in 1997) and I was chatting to her and the whole house was so full of fun and games. I looked out of the window and there were loads of Boy Scouts playing games and putting up tents etc.
Cool dream, I look forward to going to sleep some nights 'cos I can almost tell that I'm going to have a good dream. I dream more when it's hot weather oddly.
Scccrrruunnge

DJDogfart

Post by DJDogfart »

Last night, and this is true as I'm sitting here today, I dreamt I was a successful author of the book 'Life, Death and Saggitarianism (and 126 other things that don't appear in this book)'.
Make of that what you will, I think I might start writing now!
Scccrrruunnge

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

One thats recurred a bit recently, on the subject of a near brush with death and escape - a subject which could perhaps occur in many people's dreams and nightmares in flashbacks:

Nearly 20 years ago I lived in Newcastle upon Tyne. One day I walked up stairs to top of entrance to the Redhugh Bridge across the Tyne. (a characterless concrete road bridge). I considered walking across this windy bridge then decided against it. Now at that time I was very depressed and not sleeping well; and it was near winter dark evening. On steps down there was no bannister or barrier of stairs which dropped down to the road below. Like a zombie I walked near there reachced for bannister, almost fell below from a great height but got balance back and moved away from gap. I was very nearly splattered onto road (in a lonely spot too). A close shave.

Have nightmares recently on what might've been (could've ended looking like corrupt Inspector Ryan after he fell from flat in Crisis comic's 3rd World War strip)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

My dreams have been really Earth-bound lately, with not much happening in them....hope I'm not losing my imagination!

Perhaps I need a new lurid Nightmare, to sharpen up the old minds' eye.......

Michael Anden

Post by Michael Anden »

I often wonder that what with dreams being so 'self-contained'- ie, we never seem to question how we 'arrive' in any of them, or any other aspect of them- perhaps our waking reality could also be just another 'order' of dreaming.

As I understand it, the world we see around us is entirely reconstructed from purely electrical impulses that convey no actual 'light' inside of our heads. For me, quantum theory appears to indicate that the 'external' world has no actual 'solidity' other than our own perception of it... whatever 'perception' is.

Take the relativistic nature of spacetime also into account, and it almost seems that we culturally 'convince' ourselves that the universe is objective and causal...

...maybe dreams are our minds trying to 'rebel' and 'wake up' against a largely artificial worldview of a 'concrete' reality', and the social mores predicated by it?

Maaan. :roll:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Michael Anden wrote:...maybe dreams are our minds trying to 'rebel' and 'wake up' against a largely artificial worldview of a 'concrete' reality', and the social mores predicated by it?
Well, Michael, I certainly have dreams that engage with my dormant rationality in the middle of the night, but there is always method in their process. Their various message scenarios increasingly disturb me until I am forced to acknowledge them, and invariably I wake up. Their intention is never different. They are simply trying to persuade me to get out of bed and go for a wee.

Michael Anden

Post by Michael Anden »

Well, Michael, I certainly have dreams that engage with my dormant rationality in the middle of the night, but there is always method in their process. Their various message scenarios increasingly disturb me until I am forced to acknowledge them, and invariably I wake up. Their intention is never different. They are simply trying to persuade me to get out of bed and go for a wee.
A particularly unnerving dream I had recently in respect of that, Phoenix: I could 'see' into my bathroom, at night, in the dark- even though I wasn't there... and the bloomin' thing was flushing itself on its own, repeatedly, just pointlessly recycling its own water.

Maybe the whole universe is essentially just a self-crapping toilet. Always seemed to me if there is a God, he's got a seriously f**ked up sense of humour...

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

I dreamed I was in art class and the teacher was Brian Blessed, and I was trying to explain why my project wasn't finished. Odd.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Seeing water flowing is a common starting point for me, but as it isn't sufficient in itself to wake me up, the scene changes to one that will have the effect of embarrassing me. An oft-repeated one, presumably because it is successful, has me entering a toilet cubicle, but I will not allow myself to wee there because, as I look around, I notice that all four sides are glass or perspex from floor to ceiling, and I am aware of lots of people of both genders wandering around outside. They are not looking at me but I either hear someone say You can't do that there, or I say I can't do this here, and walk out. If these audio/visual stimuli don't work, the subconscious tends to try phrases including the word up, as in stand up, go up, look up, get up and suchlike. Finally, in desperation, it causes me to hear either my alarm clock go off or my telephone ring, but only once, and I'm straight out of bed to deal with one or the other, but when I realise that neither is actually ringing I just go downstairs for a wee. Job done!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Common fears I often experience in dreams/nightmares:

I'm hanging onto a perilously high clifftop/building by my fingertips [for ages on end]: especially repetitive , in all different scenarios, that one!

I'm in a state of undress in public, hiding in a shop doorway [or somewhere] hiding my modesty while passer-bys are mocking me.

I spend seemingly hours on end [in real time, it feels like] in the company of someone from my distant past [someone from Primary School, for example] , often a person who never featured heavily in my social history, or even uppermost ever in my thoughts......these people feature heavily upfront in many of these dreams, for some reason.

That's today's psycho-therapy over for now, Readers......

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I wonder if Michael Anden is aware that his surname means (railway station) platform in Spanish. :)