Doctor Who Influences

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

peace355

Doctor Who Influences

Post by peace355 »

Doctor Who's bizarre space adventures was obviously a great influence in some stories of girls comics. In Bunty's Flights of Flopear a girl visits different planets and her Rabbit spaceship is compared to the TARDIS.

Recently I got a collection of Judy's and the writer of this story from 1966 was clearly a fan of the Daleks

philcom55

Re: Doctor Who Influences

Post by philcom55 »

Very nice! Funnily enough I can't remember any Doctor Who stories drawn by Ian Kennedy, though he'd have clearly been brilliant at it.

- Phil R.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

peace355 wrote:Image
Now that's an Ian Kennedy one that I have not seen before.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

I was always disappointed that Sara's Kingdom never featured any Daleks.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:Recently I got a collection of Judy's and the writer of this story from 1966 was clearly a fan of the Daleks
That does seem an interesting story, peace. Unfortunately I only have issue 341 within its run. It's gone by 344. Could you please let me have the issue numbers and dates of the first and last instalments for my records.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Now I come to think of it, I do not recall any DW influences in Tammy or Jinty. I wonder if it was more common in DCT?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The amazing thing about Doctor Who is that, even though it didn't appear until 1963, its effect on the space-time continuum was so profound that it even managed to influence books that had been published years earlier - like this title from the 1950s!

- Phil Rushton :wink:

peace355

Post by peace355 »

The story was quite short, only running for 8 issues; from #335 (11/06/66) to #342 (30/07/66)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Thank you very much, peace.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Surely leaving cars parked on a dockside railway line is just asking for trouble?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Yes, nearly as risky as one-legged blokes who hop along the tops of walls with metal spikes embedded in them! :?

- Phil Rushton

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:...Yes, nearly as risky as one-legged blokes who hop along the tops of walls with metal spikes embedded in them!
He'll be fine. He's got ZE on his case. The scuffers have only got one schoolboy.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Phoenix wrote:The scuffers have only got one schoolboy.
...Actually he's not alone - as you can see from the other half of that wraparound cover: the whole thing has a feel of the Children's Film Foundation to my eye!

There are more coppers parking on the railway tracks too. My theory is that they were secretly hoping their cars would get flattened by a passing goods train so they'd be replaced by nice new Ford Zephyrs! :)

(Sorry for straying so far from your original topic btw Peace. These flights of fancy seem to take on a life of their own at times!)

- Phil Rushton

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:Sorry for straying so far from your original topic btw Peace. These flights of fancy seem to take on a life of their own at times!
Isn't that half the fun, Phil? The other half of course is being able to complain when Admin's off-topic jackboots stamp all over it.

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

philcom55 wrote: (Sorry for straying so far from your original topic btw Peace. These flights of fancy seem to take on a life of their own at times!)
- Phil Rushton
...And to prove that, Phil do you have a date for this book - and is it published by Blackie? I have a copy of one - no date - with a Raymond Sheppard illustrated story ("Ginger of the Big Top")

-Norman