History of Gifts in Comics

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

BeanoMaster

History of Gifts in Comics

Post by BeanoMaster »

I have recently been finding out about old gifts that came with comics so I made a blog about it http://historyofgiftsincomics.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

I will look at gifts dating from Victorian times to the present day.

Thanks

standby4action

Re: History of Gifts in Comics

Post by standby4action »

You've got your work cut out for you BeanoMaster, but I, for one, shall be watching the blog. Don't forget you have a wealth of knowledge out there in the Forum and via Lew Stringer's blog, already. Good luck
Norman

BeanoMaster

Post by BeanoMaster »

Thank you :)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

BeanoMaster wrote:I have recently been finding out about old gifts that came with comics so I made a blog about it http://historyofgiftsincomics.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

I will look at gifts dating from Victorian times to the present day.

Thanks

Some rare gifts you've collected there. I haven't seen those Buster ones before! Good stuff.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

Good luck with it :)
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

A big chunk of the work on the D C Thomson papers has already been done. I heartily and strongly recommend the book "Free Gifts In The Big Five" by a certain Derek Marsden.

Do not buy the copies currently available from Amazon as they are overpriced and produce only profit for the sellers, but if you PM Phoenix of this parish, I am sure he can advise you of a better price. :D
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Great site Beanomaster - don't hesitate to ask for contributions from other collectors. I have particularly fond memories of that Buster Zoomer Jet, which worked fantastically well as I recall (though I flew mine to destruction long ago!).

To be honest I've been surprised by the way in which free gifts have inflated the selling price of back issues in recent years as it seems to me that, apart from edible items like toffee bars, these are far more likely to have survived than the comics themselves. For example, I recently discovered this 'Magic Note Pad' from Boys' World no.2 pressed between the pages of an old book, where it had apparently been languishing for over 50 years - long after I disposed of my original copy of the comic!

- Phil Rushton

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Fantastic!! Wish you well with it! My favourite comic- `Sparky` gave more Free gifts circa 1965 to 1974 than any other Thomson's title! I think it outdid any IPC title too!

In my Sparky File piece - text version can be found on this site! I cover all the Sparky free gifts. My illustrated version on my memory stick features lots of photos/illustrations!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

The gifts were alway's a bit special for me in the 1978-1984 era.
I've still got most of mine and the ones that my siblings didn't want/discarded -

They include the Tornado Turbo-Flyer; an unused Worzel Gummidge magazine record (record player not included); TV comic transfers and 'diamond' shaped stickers; an unused Blakes-7 iron-on transfer; Buster metallic look badge; an empty packet of 'Space Dust' with Nutty No1; the fake chocolate biscuit from Jackpot 1 (similar to Shiver and Shake, the gifts varied from issue-to-issue); a myriad of Wow! comic gifts including reshaping nose; 1979 Dr Who issue 1-4 transfers; an SAS Battle comic plastic badge; unused Buck Rodgers sticker book; bits of plastic tat from Dandy and Hoot; 2000ad Squaxx Dex Thargo punch-out card + S/S card and wallet; plus too many others including pencils; spiders; jokes; stickers; cards and more.

BeanoMaster

Post by BeanoMaster »

Sorry but this blog will definitely return in soon probably in July. Well unless I have another test :xfingers:

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

The Sparky free gift I would love to get hold of is the `Flicker Pics` set which was given on the January 1970 free gift promotion! It was the 2nd weeks of promotion gift-and the best one the comic ever gave!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...And here's me worrying that you'll have nothing left to collect when you get your final three issues of Sparky! :)

- Phil R.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have the first issue of Rainbow from 1914 complete with free gift, when I am feeling better I will get it from storage and scan the gift here.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Phil! there's still some of the gifts- some `pinks` and most rare are the Newsagent `Solicitation` & `Display` cards that I know exist! I have those for debut of Sparky- got them with superb copy of No1 with gift! The whole set cost me £405 I think!

One of the things about collecting free gifts is sometimes you need the little bag or holder they came in! In many instances, these are the only way of knowing the gift is from `your` comic as many comics shared exactly the same gift!