cover artist

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: cover artist

Post by Phoenix »

jehanbosch wrote:Crisis situations like mine leave little room for nuances.
Well they certainly left you some room given that you found some time to reply to my post.
jehanbosch wrote:I am sorry but I am not in the slightest interested in your games.
I wasn't playing any games, I was making a lighthearted comment. I can hardly be blamed for not knowing that you had a crisis situation concerning a sick baby, now can I?
jehanbosch wrote:Be so kind to end this "conversation".
I do hope that you are not actually asking or telling me not to reply to a post. The Comics UK forum is nothing but conversations. If you didn't want to take part in conversations, why did you join in the first place. You certainly haven't made a particularly auspicious start. Lighten up!

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Jehanbosch - I'm sure I speak for all of us to wish your baby a speedy recovery.

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

I want to thank everybody especially Shiner for wishing my baby well.
She is only one year old but has severe bronchitis.
Why I joined this site? I live outside the UK but have a lot of interest in the comic versions of the many Space Families as well as in Peter Pan.
And own a huge collection of these comics from many different countries.
However, your kingdom is the main stay of these comic adaptations.
I am mainly interested in the exchange of information and thought I could contribute.
My interest in banter is severely limited.
As for Phoenix he knew by my second contribution I had an ill infant at hand.
And I will ignore Phoenix from now on.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

jehanbosch wrote:I want to thank everybody especially Shiner for wishing my baby well.
She is only one year old but has severe bronchitis.
Why I joined this site? I live outside the UK but have a lot of interest in the comic versions of the many Space Families as well as in Peter Pan.
And own a huge collection of these comics from many different countries.
However, your kingdom is the main stay of these comic adaptations.
I am mainly interested in the exchange of information and thought I could contribute.
My interest in banter is severely limited.
As for Phoenix he knew by my second contribution I had an ill infant at hand.
And I will ignore Phoenix from now on.

My best wishes for your baby's health, jehanbosch.

I've never read the Space Family Robinson strips, but it just set me wondering if Dynamite Entertainment might bring them back, as they've recently revived the Turok, Solar, Dr Spektor and Magnus Gold Key comics.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

jehanbosch wrote:I want to thank everybody especially Shiner for wishing my baby well.
I can understand why you are thanking Shiner, but why are you thanking everybody else? No other member apart from me has responded to you so far, and you are not thanking me for anything.
jehanbosch wrote:She is only one year old but has severe bronchitis.
I would never wish to minimise the seriousness of bronchitis in a one-year-old, jehan, but you do need to reflect on the fact that you have come into Comics UK with a chip on your shoulder.
jehanbosch wrote:As for Phoenix he knew by my second contribution I had an ill infant at hand.
Not when I made my first comment I didn't, and my second was an explanation of the lighthearted tone of the first, just in case you had misunderstood its essence, which of course you had.
jehanbosch wrote:And I will ignore Phoenix from now on.
Well that shouldn't be too difficult for you so long as you stick to the themes you have expressed an interest in, because I have absolutely no interest in Space families or Peter Pan.

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

I am ignoring Phoenix
Are you aware there exists an expensive & recent American reprint series of Space Family Robinson?
It is for sale on EBay.
But I just bought the German reprint series which is not very recent.
Because I have been reading Gold Key from the very beginning -as an infant- I have the whole original series including the Giveaways.
Nevertheless, it is handy to have a reprint at hand.
But whether anyone would revive the original series?
I do not think there is a market for it nowadays.
And besides, Dan Spiegle was the heart and soul of the series and he has passed away..
Though I must say the Lady Penelope installments were quite nice...
And thanks for the concern for my baby..
Best, J.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

jehanbosch wrote:I am ignoring Phoenix
That's fine by me, I certainly won't experience any sense of loss, but I am left wondering what life must be like when a person doesn't have a sense of humour. Pretty sad and empty, I imagine. Maybe it's just a temporary state, and jehan will feel more upbeat when his baby gets better. After all, as our poet Alexander Pope once memorably wrote, Hope Springs Eternal In The Human Breast.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

jehanbosch wrote:I am ignoring Phoenix
Are you aware there exists an expensive & recent American reprint series of Space Family Robinson?
It is for sale on EBay.
Do you mean the hardback archives books published by Dark Horse? The RRP is steep at around £30 a book but that's no doubt because of a low print run. Most of those sort of archive collections are similarly priced. Some of the Space Family Robinson volumes are cheaper to buy on Amazon. (Although I won't be buying them myself. The only Space Family Robinson I'm interested in is the one from the Lost In Space TV series. Yes, I know that was unofficially inspired by the comic.)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

There were also a couple of UK annuals, but my favourite was an album which used George Wilson's fantastic cover art from Space Family Robinson no.2.

- Phil Rushton

(...On second thoughts that cover looks more like a Walt Howarth recreation than a straightforward reprint)

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

In fact there exist 3 UK albums. Even the one shown is considered to be an Annual, though the word "" Annual" is not in the cover title. All 3 Annuals have cover art taken from the covers of the original Gold Key comic books; so it is American art.
So far I have only the album as depicted in a dilapidated condition; the other 2 are still on my wish list...
I bought a different album but had to return it because it was incomplete..

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

Yes, I did mean the Dark Horse reprints.
But there exist German reprints as well but I do not appreciate the translation.
Next time I will try to upload some German covers.
It is certain the American TV show was based on the US comic books.
But telling so would have forced the TV people, Irvin Allen & Co., to pay up...
Although I prefer the comic books I like the TV series "Lost In Space" as well.
You are familiar with the Lost in Space oddities on offer on the bootleg marketsite called "IOffer"?
And the less succesful comic books based directly on the TV series you must already know?

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

jehanbosch wrote: Although I prefer the comic books I like the TV series "Lost In Space" as well.
You are familiar with the Lost in Space oddities on offer on the bootleg marketsite called "IOffer"?
And the less succesful comic books based directly on the TV series you must already know?
I'm only interested in the TV episodes, and already have them on DVD. I don't buy any bootleg stuff.

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

astronautenfamilie-$_57 (7).JPG
astronautenfamilie-$_57 (7).JPG
I am truly sorry if I offended you.
But there was an aborted cartoon version and a new pilot episode of a new series that never made it to an official release.
I have not bought these either but as a documentalist I thought you ought to know of its existence
Also I do not approve of bootleg versions of stuff which can be bought legally.
I do hope you managed to obtain the original pilote of the original series.
As it is lacking in some DVD releases..
Meanwhile I will at least try to upload the first German cover..
Here goes nothing..[img][/[img][/img]img]

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

jehanbosch wrote: I am truly sorry if I offended you.
You didn't offend me in the slightest. It's just a personal and professional stance that I don't support bootleg or pirated material. If others do, that's up to them.

Yes, the unaired version of the pilot is on the official box set of the first season.

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

I have looked into the French Family Robinson once more.
Apparently only 3 seperate issues exist, everything else was serialised in the "Tintin" comic mags..
I will try to put up a French cover..
Attachments
french robinson
french robinson
Robinson-sLes1_07062008_164217.jpg