annuals

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

annuals

Post by abacus »

As a collector of annuals [for fun theres little to be gained financially] i find this site very useful for sequencing and finding the dates.An example occured a year or so ago when visiting a carboot on holiday and i came across a stall with around 30 beano annuals spread out on the ground,i was looking but not particularly interested, until i noticed one beano annual without a date on the cover,the stall holders said they had been unable to find the date and offered it to me for £2 which i paid.When i got around to checking it at this site i found it was 1960(I'd hoped it was earlier )although i knew it was later than the cloth edged ones.A great number of annuals i've collected seem to be published by World distributors(Manchester) these are usually tied in with tv shows sgt Bilko being the last one i bought.I was sure there would be a list of all the titles produced by this company as enthusiasts tend to keep track of these things,but having searched the internet i've been unable to find one.Does a list exist?

r3tr0_gam3r

Re: annuals

Post by r3tr0_gam3r »

I'm not sure if any of these are by World Distributors (I mainly just collect DCT and Fleetway annuals/comics), but I would definitely suggest checking out this website 'Tony's Trading' at this link: http://www.tonystrading.co.uk/galleries ... als-tv.htm. It has lists of many different annuals, with images of the covers, including comics, TV Shows, Cartoons etc (a list to each gallery is found at the bottom). I've found it very helpful for finding annuals in the past, as there have been times when I've needed to confirm when somebody has put the wrong year, or none at all.

NP

Post by NP »

Most if not all World Distributor annuals up to about 1970 are very text story heavy- some have no picture strips at all.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Yes I have looked at Tony's trading before ,they have a lot of world distributers annuals but I was looking for a more complete list.I have to disagree with pre 70s being all story as I've come across many mostly western comic books prior to that period.World distribution books are usually easily identified by the yellow edge or spine.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Some World's annuals can be costly to buy-unless you are extremely lucky. In particular i'm thinking of the first few "Dr Who" annuals. The first one(from 1965) won't set you back that much as it was a huge seller and is still fairly common today - but the ones released 1966 to 1970 can cost up to £150 or more if in superb condition! (the 1970 annua especiallyl is `very` rare!) The 48 page Dr Who 1966 special "Dr Who and the Invasion from Space" can go well over £200!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

abacus wrote:Yes I have looked at Tony's trading before ,they have a lot of world distributers annuals but I was looking for a more complete list.I have to disagree with pre 70s being all story as I've come across many mostly western comic books prior to that period.World distribution books are usually easily identified by the yellow edge or spine.
To be fair, Nigel only said that some had no strips. (The Doctor Who Annuals being a good example.) Many of the books were indeed text story heavy, but some (such as the Huckleberry Hound Annuals) had more of a balance of prose stories and reprinted American strips.

There are exceptions of course. The first Star Trek Annual is almost all strips, reprinted from the Gold Key comics.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

alanultron5 wrote:Some World's annuals can be costly to buy-unless you are extremely lucky. In particular i'm thinking of the first few "Dr Who" annuals. The first one(from 1965) won't set you back that much as it was a huge seller and is still fairly common today - but the ones released 1966 to 1970 can cost up to £150 or more if in superb condition! (the 1970 annua especiallyl is `very` rare!) The 48 page Dr Who 1966 special "Dr Who and the Invasion from Space" can go well over £200!
Coincidentally enough, I was bidding on that first Pertwee Doctor Who annual on ebay yesterday, but lost out on it. It went for £51 in the end. A copy of the rarest Troughton annual (with the Cyberman cover) went the previous day for a bit over £30.

abacus

Post by abacus »

I usually collect annuals with comic strips, i saw a world distributor book of the bewitched tv series but because it was all story I didn't buy it.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Speaking of annuals does anybody want to buy a second-hand copy of this 1960s item with lovely Brian Lewis artwork? :?

...Hmmm, thought not! :roll:

- Phil Rushton

abacus

Post by abacus »

Like it.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

That annual of that vile piece of scum belongs in the bin immediately Phil just where he himself will end,but with Harris & Saville thats a part of my childhood destroyed,Oh Well! at least i still have my comics they cant harm or scar anyone.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

In the aftermath of his conviction today, it is inevitable that we will see everything he has ever done in a new light. Looking at this scan that Phil has posted, it is now possible to catch a sense of Harris's thoughts and feelings from the annual's cover image, especially as they must all have posed for the picture for a reasonable length of time, from the positioning of his thumb and the child's foot. His expression could certainly be more than just a smile.

Michael Anden

Post by Michael Anden »

Thanks Philcom. Now I'll never be able to unsee that image!

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

First Jimmy, now Rolf. It'll be the Wombles next and there goes my last comfortable childhood memory.

Vile.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Even without the benefit of hindsight that is one creepy looking book cover. Was the grotty looking Coojeebear part of Rolf's act? Professionally I mean.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/