cover artist

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

jehanbosch

Re: cover artist

Post by jehanbosch »

Not very many know Space Family Rollinson was a smashing success in France.
A lot of stories were reprinted over and over again in French, the last time in 1986-7.
I will try to upload a really nifty example of the art they used.
However, the French sometimes altered the original UK art so caution is necessary!
Attachments
chosen-rollinson-$(KGrHqZ,!lwFHrOnUoY8BSCPYOtDZ!~~60_57 - kopie.JPG

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

Although the Rollinsons appeared twice in French comics mags in their entirety and once at least partially (9 of the 15/16 stories) I could not locate a single French cover that has anything to do with them. Even though the Rollinsons were sometimes the main feature.
So I will endeavour to upload the most stunning UK cover that was alluded to but never posted - as far as I know...
Attachments
chosen-knockout-childrens2 197.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

jehanbosch wrote:I will endeavour to upload the most stunning UK cover that was alluded to but never posted - as far as I know...
This cover has been uploaded at some point to Al's Gallery. I think I'm right in saying that all the other Knockout covers are there too.

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

Also I am trying to post the extras of the very same Knockout annual:
-the BACKSIDE
-a peek inside
It seems I was wrong about the French covers:
in a previous publication series than mine I found covers that certainly referred to the Space Family Rollinson.
The problem is that I do not have this particular series.
But one cover at least was used for my series as well..
In the future I hope to upload this particular cover at least...
Attachments
chosen-knockout-childrens2 206.jpg
chosen-knockout-childrens2 198.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

As there doesn't seem to be much more than a muted response to Jehan's enthusiastic posts about the Space Family Robinson, perhaps he might consider starting a thread on Peter Pan, his second-string interest. There will surely be some members whose nostalgia will be stirred by such an engaging little chap.

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

And here is a French cover of Space Family Rollinson.
But it is art by the BRITISH artist...
This cover was used no less than three times at least..
Attachments
french rollinson
french rollinson

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

Another cover of the French mag "Aventures Fiction" but by a Spanish artist and not connected to the Rollinsons story inside...
Attachments
chosen-rollinson-AVENTURES FICTION 4 8.jpg

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

Yesterday I won an auction for a Knockout weekly.
I will try to post the two scans.
This mag I only bought to get a general idea what Knockout was really like.
As there exist about 250 issues of Knockout with the Rollinsons I am not going to make a habit of it.
For the whole cycle has been published in 26 issues of the French comic "Atome Kid" and again in 17 issues of the French "Monde Futur".
And once more, partially in "Aventures Fiction" 1-9, the only series I have so far.
Hope you like the pictures
Attachments
chosen-rollinson-$_57 (7).JPG
chosen-knockout-$_57 (7).JPG

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

Well, this is the Rollinsons for now.
I will come back when I get more interesting art.
Here is the very last panel of Space Family Rollinson, as appearing in the Knockout weekly but adapted for France...
Meanwhile, several other families were exploring outer space, all called Robinson..
Attachments
chosen-rollinson-$T2eC16R,!y0E9s2S6cvTBSCPbEme3Q~~60_57 - kopie.JPG

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

Here is a one-off contribution.
In the Cheeky weekly from 1977 to 1978 was featured a Space Family Robinson quite different from the Gold Key version or the Rollinsons.
However, because it has been brilliantly dealt with in the outstanding Cheeky blog I have preciously little to add.
Only that I read each and every episode.
It is a bit cartoony.
But, why in thunderation call a comic strip "Space Family Robinson" while the American comic book was still appearing?!?!
A bit daft. But that is the only shortcoming.
One sample will be enough..
Attachments
chosen-Cheeky 77-11-19 01 What a Cheek #FM - kopie.jpg

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

Why am I reviewing a TV show? In the first place the TV show is based on a comic book and in the second place the show spawned comic books in return.
I am talking about the "Lost in Space" TV series of course. The Family Robinson launched into space...
In the old days I used to be a modest fan and even got some odd pre-internet fan material.
But I finally saw the first season when I bought the deluxe Australian box-set of LIS, a quite official release.
By the way there also exists a rare, again official, DVD that tells everything you wanted to know about LIS but were afraid to ask.
I have it but due to the family catastrophes of the past never got a chance to watch it.
Sure hope to dig it up next week..
Attachments
lost-in-space-forever.jpg

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

Now I feel constrained to comment on the US comic books directly inspired by the delightful "Lost In Space" TV series and the failed "LIS" movie.
Well, first and foremost is the celebrated Innovation series "Lost in Space". Seen from the strictly art angle it wavers between beautifully drawn in a traditional style and more modern in an interesting style. Nevertheless the stories suffered from an overdosis of violence and even sex(!?!) while the quasi-Zorro elements made it into a three-ring circus.
The second series by Dark Horse was based on the "LIS" movie and so bland I am unable to review it.
I will try to upload examples of both comic book series.
Finally, I want to thank once more my good friend Brian Lassige of Finleyville, PA who in the past faithfully collected the above mentioned comics for me.
Attachments
dark-horse-zLKR-space-family-robinson-ultimate-comic-collection-on-dvd-7e5c.jpg
innovation-eJCf-space-family-robinson-ultimate-comic-collection-on-dvd-7637.jpg

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I had no idea that the Rollinsons were so popular in France. Do you know if they reprinted all the stories from the Knockout Annuals? As a matter of interest here's another cover appearance (unfortunately I had to scan it from my own copy which is rather tatty!).

- Phil Rushton

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

Only a small reply because it is far too late. More tomorrow.
Yes, each and every Rollinson story from the Knockout weekly was (re)printed in France twice!
First in "Atome Kid" and later in "Monde futur".
But the French sometimes tampered with the art.
Already in "Atome Kid" and even more in "Monde Futur".
I will list the issues tomorrow.
However, I just have "Aventures Fiction" sofar, which is only a partial reprint because it was cancelled.
But we will continue tomorrow.
I am well informed on the subject because I partake of French comic websites as well.
Very lovely scan you sent!!!!

jehanbosch

Post by jehanbosch »

I see you meant the stories from the Annuals.
It is not listed in my sources.
But one French site mentioned one Annual story being printed in France.
I did not pay much attention to it because the Annuals are not that scarce!