Hello

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

moloneymagic

Hello

Post by moloneymagic »

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself having joined the forum earlier this evening. I'm a collector of IPC/Fleetway comics, predominantly from the late 70s/early 80s - the times that I read them as a kid, but steadily branching forwards and backwards as my interests expand and as budgets allow. I'm also working on a blog just to record my personal reflections on the comics as I collect them and look back over them.

I'm a book publisher by trade, although it was my love of comics that attracted me to print publishing in the first place. A shame that I entered the world of work just as the market for British newsstand comics was disappearing.

The comics I read as a youngster - I think in order - were Topper, Whizzer & Chips, Jackpot, Speed, Tiger, Roy of the Rovers, 2000AD, Eagle, but I dipped into most of the other IPC comics from time to time so many of them have memories. I still adore the old bulky newsprint with the rough-cut edges that most of them were printed at the time. I know it probably didn't provide the best quality but it's very nostalgic for me.

Hope to get to know some of you through the forum.

Best,
moloneymagic

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Hello

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Hiya MoloneyMagic, and we bid you most welcome.

I done an illustration for a Tara Maloney called The Magic Bus: but I assume this is just a co-incidence?

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

Welcome, MoloneyMagic. :)

Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Welcome moloneymagic -
your IPC (later Fleetway) era was when I was reading them too.

moloneymagic

Post by moloneymagic »

Thanks everyone, nice welcome. ISPYSHHHGUY, always interested to hear about other branches of the Moloney clan - as far as I know I'm not related to Tara :-) Is she Irish? I'm not, but I think that's where most of the purebreeds come from.

Muffy, sounds as though we'll have some shared memories!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Yes, Tara was in Ireland, she paid me with an Irish cheque, MoloneyMagic.

Can't recall where in Ireland, though.....

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

My era was 1981-88
so Jackpot was discovered on a rainy day at school from the comic box!!..always great discovering a new comic from a few years before...