Uncensored Action! (The Best of Action)

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Re: Uncensored Action! (The Best of Action)

Post by philcom55 »

It's gone relatively quiet for the last couple of days but I'd guess that most people who're prepared to make four-figure bids will be relying on last-minute sniping software.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I had a look at a version of this dated issue on computer and it never struck me as anything especially gruesome: indeed the very early 2000 AD progs from just a few months later contain more graphically tasteless images, I reckon...

---of course, maybe I have just seen a 'neutered' version of this issue, I have not been following this saga as avidly as perhaps I should have-----this item is all over the 2000 AD forum [and presumably elsewhere] as well.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

£2555 in the end. A bit of an anti-climax, really. No last minute duel. I guess the winner put down a big marker and, just to make sure, backed it with an additional bid. But it wasn't required in the end. Congratulations.

SID

Post by SID »

Must admit I was tempted but not that tempted. Besides my other half would had have a fit.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Of course, we'll never know how high the eventual winner was prepared to go.

Anorak783

Post by Anorak783 »

4 minutes before this deal, a set of 11 pre-ban Actions jumped from (as I recall) £28.00 to £43.00 in the last minute. That's where the action was (ho-ho!)

I never knew Action's were so cheap. I hope this doesn't lead to a surge in prices.

With the possible exception of TV21, if any comic has ever warranted a set of deluxe reprints, this is the one.

("Eagle" has already had its set of deluxe reprints, Eagle fans.... or Dan Dare fans, at least....)

SID

Post by SID »

I did at some point had a regular order for Action when it was being published but dropped it after a while as it never really 'clicked' with me. It was only when it got merged did I become interested again.

Recently, however, I was lucky enough to get hold of a full collection (but not including the £2555 issue alas). It was a good comic badly judged.

I do think that Strip (which reprinted some of the Dredger and Hookjaw strips) could have been a worthy successor if only it had lasted.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

On the subject of ultra-violent IPC comics, was it a copy of Action that featured the immortal words "And then my head fell off!" on the cover? I saw this comic in the collection of the son of one of my mum's workmates, and I'm afraid it didn't improve my opinion of him!

abacus

Post by abacus »

suebutcher wrote:On the subject of ultra-violent IPC comics, was it a copy of Action that featured the immortal words "And then my head fell off!" on the cover? I saw this comic in the collection of the son of one of my mum's workmates, and I'm afraid it didn't improve my opinion of him!
I think we are similar to computers in that what we feed into our system helps form us.I don' t think too much violence is of benefit to us.That's just my opinion of course.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Does it make me a bad person that I think "And then my head fell off!" is a great line? :)

abacus

Post by abacus »

philcom55 wrote:...Does it make me a bad person that I think "And then my head fell off!" is a great line? :)
No,I recall a similiar incidence happening with 'HUMPTY DUMPTY' :) It's the graphic depiction of bloody violence i'm not too keen on.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

It made me wince at first, then I laughed - I guess that's why it stuck in my memory!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I had a look through the ACTION archives last night, and the pre-ban issues do contain some graphically violent scenarios; but it is so deliberately tasteless and lurid, I never found it especially disturbing; I would put this 'shock tactics' approach on par with the EVIL DEAD films: nasty stuff, but obviously staged for entertainment.

I do concur that the UK comics scene probably needed a shake-up of sorts come the late 70s, and ACTION was just the remedy---there was a story I liked, a sort of kitchen-sink crime drama, called THE PROBATIONER that I appreciated, it was well drawn and had good British quirks---I was just getting into this, and it ended mid-way through, and very abruptly, partly through the sudden ban. I done research on this, and it was dropped without explanation, revealing the chaos surrounding this comics' crisis at the time.

The post-ban 'neutered' issues were not quite as toothless as some naysayers would have led me believe, but a lot of the early vital spirit was lost, that is certain.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

my copy arrived today, via a private deal that was brokered before I went on holiday on June 30th. A great looking copy and one that I will treasure till my dying days. I had a bonus enclosed with it from the previous owner, a letter from Robin Smith. Doesn't get better than this.
Attachments
robin smith half two.jpg
robin smith half one.jpg

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

geoff42 wrote:my copy arrived today, via a private deal that was brokered before I went on holiday on June 30th. A great looking copy and one that I will treasure till my dying days. I had a bonus enclosed with it from the previous owner, a letter from Robin Smith. Doesn't get better than this.

Remember I said earlier in this thread that I knew of an IPC editor who had a copy? I didn't feel it right to name him then but that was Robin. I remember him telling me about 30 years ago he had a copy. Good to know he kept it, and that you now have it. :up:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/