Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Post Reply
comixminx
Posts: 505
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 16:41
Location: UK
Contact:

Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Post by comixminx » 16 Jul 2015, 17:37

Hello all, I have been lurking and looking for a while now, but was reluctant to join another forum as I already have many internet calls on my time. This is such a great place though that I couldn't stay away for ever! :D You may already have seen reference to me as the co-writer (with Tammyfan) and maintainer of the blog on Jinty comic - https://jintycomic.wordpress.com/

Cheers

Jenni (comixminx)
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

User avatar
colcool007
Mr Valeera
Posts: 3796
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 18:06
Location: Lost in time, lost in space
Contact:

Re: Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Post by colcool007 » 16 Jul 2015, 17:41

comixminx wrote:Hello all, I have been lurking and looking for a while now, but was reluctant to join another forum as I already have many internet calls on my time. This is such a great place though that I couldn't stay away for ever! :D You may already have seen reference to me as the co-writer (with Tammyfan) and maintainer of the blog on Jinty comic - https://jintycomic.wordpress.com/

Cheers

Jenni (comixminx)
Jenni, welcome to the house of fun. I have seen your site and I can heartily recommend it to one and all as an excellent resource for anyone with any interest in the girls' comics.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

User avatar
ISPYSHHHGUY
Posts: 4275
Joined: 14 Oct 2007, 13:05
Location: BLITZVILLE, USA

Re: Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY » 16 Jul 2015, 18:34

great to hear you have joined us, Jenni, by jumping jupiter! [and Jiminy]

Get postin"!

User avatar
philcom55
Posts: 5170
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 11:56

Re: Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Post by philcom55 » 16 Jul 2015, 18:53

A warm welcome from me too Jenni! (Was it you I saw enthusiastically talking about girls' comics to veteran comics dealer Paul McCartney at the last London Mart?)

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5326
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Post by Phoenix » 16 Jul 2015, 19:23

Yet another welcome to this forum, Jenni. Hopefully you will find it interesting enough to hang around for a good while, and to post from time to time.

Raven
Posts: 2829
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 22:58
Location: Highboro'

Re: Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Post by Raven » 16 Jul 2015, 21:25

Hello, Jenni, from someone with only six Jintys.

comixminx
Posts: 505
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 16:41
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Post by comixminx » 17 Jul 2015, 07:22

Thanks for the kind welcomes, all!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

comixminx
Posts: 505
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 16:41
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Post by comixminx » 17 Jul 2015, 07:23

philcom55 wrote:A warm welcome from me too Jenni! (Was it you I saw enthusiastically talking about girls' comics to veteran comics dealer Paul McCartney at the last London Mart?)
Alas, no - I haven't been able to get to a Mart for a long time now due to having smallish kids.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

User avatar
philcom55
Posts: 5170
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 11:56

Re: Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Post by philcom55 » 17 Jul 2015, 11:27

comixminx wrote:Alas, no - I haven't been able to get to a Mart for a long time now due to having smallish kids.
For what it's worth the lady in question was a big fan of both Jinty AND your blog! For me one of the most refreshing developments in the comics scene is the emergence of so many female fans in recent years. When I started out comic marts tended to be as depressingly masculine as a train-spotters convention - yet this year almost half the visitors to the San Diego Comicon are said to have been women!

comixminx
Posts: 505
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 16:41
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Post by comixminx » 17 Jul 2015, 12:31

philcom55 wrote:
comixminx wrote:Alas, no - I haven't been able to get to a Mart for a long time now due to having smallish kids.
For what it's worth the lady in question was a big fan of both Jinty AND your blog! For me one of the most refreshing developments in the comics scene is the emergence of so many female fans in recent years. When I started out comic marts tended to be as depressingly masculine as a train-spotters convention - yet this year almost half the visitors to the San Diego Comicon are said to have been women!
Very good to hear - a fan of Jinty and the blog, cor! :D

I agree entirely about the gender shift, it is very good to see. I have been going to marts and comics events off and on for 25 years and it has been a big change indeed. It used to be that the panels at comics conventions were primarily made up of blokes talking, with a single token 'Women in Comics' panel. Which did mean that you saw a number of female faces, to be fair, but only in the one event!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Post by Lew Stringer » 22 Jul 2015, 02:22

comixminx wrote:
I agree entirely about the gender shift, it is very good to see. I have been going to marts and comics events off and on for 25 years and it has been a big change indeed. It used to be that the panels at comics conventions were primarily made up of blokes talking, with a single token 'Women in Comics' panel. Which did mean that you saw a number of female faces, to be fair, but only in the one event!
Hi Jenni! Good to see you here.

You're right about the gender balance. I was at the London con over the weekend and it seemed about 50% women attendees. The good thing is I hadn't even thought about it until I read this thread. It just felt normal and the way things should be. I think it's been a long time in coming, from the late 1970s when cons would be almost completely populated by blokes wearing rucksacks full of superhero comics. It seems to have been a gradual change, and the diversification of comic cons to include film and TV has played a big part, as has the comics themselves by moving into comics that appeal to both sexes (Vertigo comics etc). Lots of female creators now too, and it seems, more new faces every year. This is the way it always should have been.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

comixminx
Posts: 505
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 16:41
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Post by comixminx » 03 Aug 2015, 14:24

Lew Stringer wrote:
comixminx wrote:
I agree entirely about the gender shift, it is very good to see. I have been going to marts and comics events off and on for 25 years and it has been a big change indeed. It used to be that the panels at comics conventions were primarily made up of blokes talking, with a single token 'Women in Comics' panel. Which did mean that you saw a number of female faces, to be fair, but only in the one event!
Hi Jenni! Good to see you here.

You're right about the gender balance. I was at the London con over the weekend and it seemed about 50% women attendees. The good thing is I hadn't even thought about it until I read this thread. It just felt normal and the way things should be. I think it's been a long time in coming, from the late 1970s when cons would be almost completely populated by blokes wearing rucksacks full of superhero comics. It seems to have been a gradual change, and the diversification of comic cons to include film and TV has played a big part, as has the comics themselves by moving into comics that appeal to both sexes (Vertigo comics etc). Lots of female creators now too, and it seems, more new faces every year. This is the way it always should have been.
Thanks for the welcome, Lew!

I remember thinking things were really changing very visibly some ten years ago when I went to one of the small press / indie publisher conventions in East London, where there was a very wide mix of attendees and stall-holders all round (race, gender, sexuality, etc). The fact that there continue to be fewer and fewer barriers to creating your own comic or webcomic (apart from the perennial one of earning a living of course) is part of what is helping, I think. Long live the small press! :D
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

User avatar
Peter Gray
Posts: 4222
Joined: 28 Feb 2006, 00:07
Location: Surrey Guildford
Contact:

Re: Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Post by Peter Gray » 05 Aug 2015, 23:51

Welcome...get posting and commenting...
:)

comixminx
Posts: 505
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 16:41
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Introducing myself - Jinty specialist, at your service!

Post by comixminx » 06 Aug 2015, 09:58

Peter Gray wrote:Welcome...get posting and commenting...
:)
Indeed I am! :)
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Post Reply