Katy 1-10 Misty & Tammy reprints Vulcan For Girls?

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Katy 1-10 Misty & Tammy reprints Vulcan For Girls?

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:Koo Koo Club is Denis Gifford. Claws looks like Dave Follows.
Ray, with regard to Klaws, I am going to have to disagree with you. For some reason I am thinking Brian Wright, even though I know this is wrong.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:For some reason I am thinking Brian Wright, even though I know this is wrong.
This doesn't make sense, Colin. If you know that Brian Wright is wrong, how can you possibly think that Brian Wright is right? As is well known, two wrongs don't make a Wright!!

Raven

Post by Raven »

Claws was drawn by Leslie Harding, a.k.a Styx. The strip originally ran in Whoopee!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

comixminx wrote:
marckie73 wrote:In the Netherlands it was used for the Tina for the week from 29 January to 4 February 1972.
Tina51972.jpg
And they've flipped that cover for the Tina comic, too! Wonder why?
Probably copyright or printing error.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Raven wrote:Claws was drawn by Leslie Harding, a.k.a Styx. The strip originally ran in Whoopee!
Whoopee sounds right to me (I'm sure you are speaking from knowledge in any case :) ) - I'm sure I've seen that artist too but wouldn't ever have been able to give more info than that.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Tammyfan wrote:
comixminx wrote:
marckie73 wrote:In the Netherlands it was used for the Tina for the week from 29 January to 4 February 1972.
Tina51972.jpg
And they've flipped that cover for the Tina comic, too! Wonder why?
Probably copyright or printing error.
It could be printing error but it is an odd sort of error to make, not at all usual I don't think. I also don't think it would be anything to do with copyright (especially as Markie says the other covers were printed in Tina un-flipped). I wonder if someone in the design side thought it looked better for some reason? Very odd anyway.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Raven

Post by Raven »

comixminx wrote:
Raven wrote:Claws was drawn by Leslie Harding, a.k.a Styx. The strip originally ran in Whoopee!
Whoopee sounds right to me (I'm sure you are speaking from knowledge in any case :) ) - I'm sure I've seen that artist too but wouldn't ever have been able to give more info than that.
Yes, he drew Claws in Whoopee! and Paws (about a dog) in Krazy (and, later, Whizzer and Chips.).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:For some reason I am thinking Brian Wright, even though I know this is wrong.
This doesn't make sense, Colin. If you know that Brian Wright is wrong, how can you possibly think that Brian Wright is right? As is well known, two wrongs don't make a Wright!!
In the same way that anyone trying to remember the singer of a particular song or the actor of a particular role, you go through all the possible alternatives to dismiss them until you can get to the correct person.
Thank you for this Raven. I did remember Paws but I could not remember the correct comic so the results I was receiving from Google were interesting to say the least. However, cute puppies, late at night, are a nice way to send a person off to the land of nod.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

The issue of flipping is not confined to comics. Enid Blyton's novel Five On Kirrin Island Again is an interesting example. When it was first published in 1947 by Hodder and Stoughton the telescope through which George is looking at the island was drawn the wrong way round by artist Eileen Soper, the error somehow having escaped all inspections by proof-readers and editors, so the telescope had to be flipped for later editions. More fundamentally, though, and extremely curiously, for the 1997 paperback reprint by Hodder Children's Books the original flawed dustwrapper cover picture was chosen, and then flipped. See below. As my copy of the hardback is a 1954 reprint with a different dustwrapper illustration I have scanned the side by side covers from The Enid Blyton Dossier by Brian Stewart and Tony Summerfield. I acknowledge the copyrights of Enid Blyton Limited, and Hodder and Stoughton for the original publications and the paperback reprint, and 1999 Hawk Books as well for The Enid Blyton Dossier.
Attachments
Kirrin1.jpg
Kirrin2.jpg

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Sorry about misidentification. It's weird how sure you can be of the wrong answer to the point that you don't feel the need to check it out and verify your first thought.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Must be those errors that can slip through for a first edition and get cleared up for subsequent editions.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Must be those errors that can slip through for a first edition and get cleared up for subsequent editions.
But having corrected the mistake once it was spotted, it seems almost criminal to make the same mistake again.