The Happy Days (Sue Day)

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: The Happy Days (Sue Day)

Post by Tammyfan »

suebutcher wrote:I think Mr Day gave up on the boat, and the bits were used to make something else. That'd be a typical plot, anyway.
Clearly they didn't learn their lesson from the boat if they made the same mistake again with the plane.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's how the story of the plane ended - maybe it's still there, gathering dust in the cellar to this day? :)

By comparison the tale of the boat (more of a round-the-world yacht in the eyes of the family!) was something of an epic that lasted several weeks. When I get chance I'll try to post the last two episodes of that as well.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

That was one of the greatest strengths of The Happy Days - making use of a good and varied selections of support characters - mainly Sue's family (including Aunts and Grandparents), but also others like Sue's best friend Edie and her twin brother Tom, and recurring villain Willie Jeavons, spoilt Peter Glaze-esque son of a factory owner (think he was).

I agree there should be a collection of reprints of The Happy Days. I think most people who remember it or like me done social and comic research) would be aware of the attitudes and expectations of women being very different during the 60s and early 70s. An intro at the start of the book should point that out to those who don't know.

Not forgetting Andrew Wilson did a fantastic art job in the comics, and some others did ok for the picture libraries and annuals.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Expections of men, too; I've got a story from 1964 where Mrs Day is horrified at the possibility of Sid attending a family wedding with a beard!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

By 1969 Mrs Day was a little more prepared to accept her eldest son's dalliance with facial hair - only for him to shave it off at the whim of his latest posh girlfriend! :)

I liked Sid. While he could be a bit of an idiot (particularly when falling in love with a new girl - which happened virtually every week) he was generally well meaning, and a lot less selfish than Gloria.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...But whatever she thought of Sid's beard Mrs Day nearly had a fit a few months later when he invited a real-life hippy to 'share his pad'! :D