Mario Capaldi article by Vanda Capaldi

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

helsbels

Mario Capaldi article by Vanda Capaldi

Post by helsbels »

This link appeared on my facebook today, via the Misty comic website:
http://www.mistycomic.co.uk/portal/Behi ... v_2012.pdf
An interesting article about the wonderful Mario Capaldi and background to some of the stories he worked on, by his daughter Vanda. Fascinating stuff.

helsbels

Re: Mario Capaldi article by Vanda Capaldi

Post by helsbels »

I have read the article via facebook, but at the moment this link doesn't seem to be working. The article should be accessible via the mistycomic website.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Thanks for the link Helen - it seems to be working OK now. Have you got Vanda's poetic biography of her father? I remember Mario's 'Typhoon Tracy' well, though from his name I'd always assumed he was one of Fleetway's legion of agency artists working on the continent. It's quite a surprise to learn that he was born and raised here in the UK!

- Phil Rushton

matrix

Post by matrix »

I hope it is ok to post this here. As he has been mentioned a few times recently mainly in the 100 greatest thread, I thought some might like to see an example of the work he did for 'Teddy bear' comic in the early seventies.
These full page works were dominated as many know by Blasco and Mary Brooks so it is quite refreshing to see a Mario Capaldi piece turn up now and again.
Interesting to see the dedication he had to his work, would anyone like to comment on what they feel is his best.
Attachments
001.001.jpg

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Did anyone download a copy of the Capaldi article as a PDF? The Mistycomic portal link has been down for quite some time and I've never managed to read the article.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Comixminx - I printed a copy of the article off! When I find it I can scan it and upload on here later or tomorrow?

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

helsbels wrote:Comixminx - I printed a copy of the article off! When I find it I can scan it and upload on here later or tomorrow?
Thank you Helsbels! That would be great, really great. No immediate hurry from my point of view but it's always best to strike while the iron's hot I know :D
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

I would be very interested on that too :)

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

helsbels wrote:Comixminx - I printed a copy of the article off! When I find it I can scan it and upload on here later or tomorrow?
Would still love a copy of this if you ever manage it, Helsbels?

marckie73

Post by marckie73 »

Is it possible to post the article here?

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Hi everyone - have been looking for the article but I'm not sure where it is at the moment! I know I have it and I'm going to check a couple of other places and get back to you all. Apologies. :oops: :oops: :oops:

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

In the meantime I've just found this website - http://www.mariocapaldiartist.co.uk/

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Funnily enough I just picked up a nice copy of the Ladybird book of The Princess And The Frog at a boot sale. This features some marvellous examples of his fairy tale artwork.
Attachments
732ca9fbc35d346234c689909d0e6629.jpg

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

helsbels wrote:In the meantime I've just found this website - http://www.mariocapaldiartist.co.uk/
Thanks! I've linked to that on the Jinty site - always good to add more references.

matrix

Post by matrix »

A couple more examples that I could not see in his gallery, these are both from 'Teddy Bear'.
Attachments
Scan_20151115.2.001.jpg
Scan_20151115.jpg