What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by SID »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
big bad bri wrote:i'm also fed up with viz for a long time now with the needless waste of pages with the Roger Mellie profanisaurus thing And nearly half the mag is adverts,But i do still love viz just skip loads of pages.
You're not alone in your thoughts on Viz - it's very rare for it to raise a smile these last few years, and yet I keep buying it... It's been a part of my comic-reading life for over twenty years, it's nice to have constants in life, however disappointing or tedious they might be.
I can fully relate to that. For me, it is 2000AD and was The Dandy. Although the latter's gone, I still love the former.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

A mixed bag this week. I picked up 98 of the first 100 of Wizard from 1970/71 (just need to get 51 and 52 now!). I picked up a 9p Marvel #1 from 1975 - The Champions, Tornado #2 and #3 and 36 Commando books from the 70s. I also picked up a great bunch of Sporting Champions cards which were free gifts with The Champion back in the 1920s including the legendary Jack Dempsey. Only 2 short of the whole set of 66 now!

On a non comic related buy but I'm sure the collectors amongst you at the same age will remember, I picked up a set of the Esso World Cup 1970 football coins in the blue holder. I remember badgering my Dad and Grandad to only go to Esso to get me those coins as a kid!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I remember the wildlife 3-D photos from Esso about the same time, AdaM; at least I think it was Esso put them out: there was deffo a tiger card.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I remember the wildlife 3-D photos from Esso about the same time, AdaM; at least I think it was Esso put them out: there was deffo a tiger card.
I collected them as well. They were Shell though and I've just found your tiger:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHELL-1975-3- ... SwHnFV4EdP

and here's the set:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-N-Mint ... Swu4BVjAdp

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

yes that's the same stuff, Adamski!

I thought it was a lot further back than '75 though----my memory goes on the blink sometimes.......

abacus

Post by abacus »

Funny how things turn out.
A couple of weeks ago I was looking online at the WORKS site and noticed the lion GRAPHIC BIBLE advertised.
I thought that when I visit the shop I would check it out, not for the religious reason but for the comic quality.
I visited twice on different days but could not find it in the shop.
Today I was about to leave a charity shop where all books were priced at 50p and saw it on a table so I bought it.
LION GRAPHIC BIBLE art by Jeff Anderson who as worked on 2000AD and Judge Dredd.
Last edited by abacus on 24 Feb 2016, 18:01, edited 7 times in total.

Colonel

Post by Colonel »

This week's delivery;
Monstress 3
Lazarus 18, 19, 20, 21
East of West 22, 23
Dreaming Eagles 2
Symmetry 2

Really struggling to get interested in Monstress - another case where I was beguiled by the cover art. Lazarus is absolutely brilliant though.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Having found little of interest in town today I finished up at the Forbidden Planet 50p boxes.The other week I had bought A GROO comic plus an HOWARD THE DUCK comic and went to see if they had any more.I got another HOWARD THE DUCK comic BIZARRO and to me the most interesting LITTLE NEMO return to slumberland.This was based on the WINSOR McCAY comicstrip of a hundred years ago.The artwork was in keeping with the original artwork and had charm such as a Rupert comic would have.As a collector I tend to look for comics out of the ordinary even if they may not be that popular at the current time.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

abacus wrote:Having found little of interest in town today I finished up at the Forbidden Planet 50p boxes.The other week I had bought A GROO comic plus an HOWARD THE DUCK comic and went to see if they had any more.I got another HOWARD THE DUCK comic BIZARRO and to me the most interesting LITTLE NEMO return to slumberland.This was based on the WINSOR McCAY comicstrip of a hundred years ago.The artwork was in keeping with the original artwork and had charm such as a Rupert comic would have.As a collector I tend to look for comics out of the ordinary even if they may not be that popular at the current time.
I love the Groo comics :D

Always seem to find them in big bunches in charity shops - On two separate occasions I've got them in bundles of 50+ from two different Oxfam shops - with hardly any crossover!

The Return to Slumberland comics sound interesting...
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

abacus

Post by abacus »

Here is the front and back cover to give an example of the artwork which is a modern version of the Winsor McCay comic strip..This is of course one part of the series
[Image
This is a back issue but these can be found on ebay or such if interested.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Beauty, cheers for showing them - is it the same sort of story structure, as in Nemo wakes up at the end of each page?

Any single one of those original Nemo pages deserves to be framed and admired.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

abacus

Post by abacus »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Beauty, cheers for showing them - is it the same sort of story structure, as in Nemo wakes up at the end of each page?

Any single one of those original Nemo pages deserves to be framed and admired.
As you know the original McCay comic was a complete story each page and I think it must have been on a larger page format.This new version starts the comic with the dream and with the waking up at the very end of the comic book..The 32 page comic book shown is number 2 in a series and is a part of a follow on story.There is an hardback version of 120 pages of RETURN TO SLUMBERLAND on Ebay which I would have thought contains the complete story.Looking on Ebay I have only spotted 4 of the normal size comics in this series.I don' t know how many it ran for.
Last edited by abacus on 11 Feb 2016, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's all of them. It's a four issue miniseries.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I picked up Book 4 of Uber today from a local comic shop.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Post by starscape »

Been buying a number of Marvel Treasury Editions lately but today got a couple of Alan Class comics from Shelter in Stockbridge. Over-priced a little at £3 but fine for a bit of fun.

Also popped in the Works for the Captain America: Man Out Of Time. Heard some good things about this.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies