What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

The new issue of Viz... That's probably the last time I'll buy it for a long time, it's declined RAPIDLY over the last couple of years. £3.20 I can't afford will no longer be wasted each month, bah. It's saddening, it really is!
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

This months viz did seem to hit an all time low for me too but i thought i the only one who thought that.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

big bad bri wrote:This months viz did seem to hit an all time low for me too but i thought i the only one who thought that.
There's a fair few of us... It failed to crack a single smile on my visage this month :cry:
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
big bad bri wrote:This months viz did seem to hit an all time low for me too but i thought i the only one who thought that.
There's a fair few of us... It failed to crack a single smile on my visage this month :cry:
Well that's two of you. I haven't read it all yet but I found 'Male Online' a well observed satire of hypocritical moaners and 'Lucky Frank', 'Rollover Beethoven' and 'Health Club' made me laugh.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

the best things in it these days are top tips and the letters some of the strips like the bacons still raise a smile but i do skip all the ads and satire interviews etc.but i will still buy it every month,

Bethanys grandad

Post by Bethanys grandad »

The only time I now buy Viz is when I go on holiday , you do get some looks when you are sitting around the pool on a cruise ship reading a copy of Viz :lol:

abacus

Post by abacus »

Miserable day, will history record floods in the( rain)of ELIZABETH 11?(JOKE)
Today I got ...
The CRUNCH 1979 No15---------------75p
BATTLE ACTION 200th edition 1979------------75p
DC ANNIVERSARY DETECTIVE COMICS 1983 Batmans 500th appearance-------£1
DC SECRET ORIGINS the CRIMSON AVENGER 1986--------------£1
DC RIP HUNTER TIME MASTER 1960-------------------£1
As I wasn't buying comics in the 70s I often come across titles I didn't know existed the CRUNCH being one of them.
I travelled further out for the Dc comics and it was again a case of picking out 7 or 8 comics and then narrowing down to three to save money.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

abacus wrote:Miserable day, will history record floods in the( rain)of ELIZABETH 11?(JOKE)
Today I got ...
The CRUNCH 1979 No15---------------75p
BATTLE ACTION 200th edition 1979------------75p
DC ANNIVERSARY DETECTIVE COMICS 1983 Batmans 500th appearance-------£1
DC SECRET ORIGINS the CRIMSON AVENGER 1986--------------£1
DC RIP HUNTER TIME MASTER 1960-------------------£1
As I wasn't buying comics in the 70s I often come across titles I didn't know existed the CRUNCH being one of them.
I travelled further out for the Dc comics and it was again a case of picking out 7 or 8 comics and then narrowing down to three to save money.

I came across The Crunch last year and picked up the set for a bargain £20 or so. I'm just over half way through the set and thoroughly enjoying them!

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

This morning, I found this book in the window of a charity shop: The Legend Of Desperate Dan -60 years of classic cartoon art, published in 1997 by DC Thomson. The woman at the till was amazed at the speed it had been snatched, as the book had been put in the window only an hour or so ago when the shop opened. Apart from a bit of wear and tear on the dust jacket and some writing *sigh* on the front cover page, the book is in a very good condition otherwise.

As I walked out with the book, some guy who was about to get into the shop, told me:'Oh, another Desperate Dan fan...' and he added smiling but visibly disappointed 'You've been faster than me. I shouldn't have hesitated to buy it when I first saw it.' I said I was sorry but he was a good sport about it.
Attachments
desperate_dan2.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I think too many were published at the time, which led inexorably to remaindered piles. They are not exactly ten a penny now but there are half a dozen on eBay between £2.55 and £3.99, all with free p&p. I bought one at the time but I can't recall ever doing more than skim through it. A similar situation occurred with the companion volume The Legend Of Lord Snooty And His Pals.

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

Considering I invested only £2.00 in it, I hardly felt I was taking any risk in buying it :D A further investigation online confirmed it is by no mean a rare book. But I was still very pleased to have found it and I will NOT apologise for it.
Last edited by Nagorama on 28 Feb 2016, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Beano 0929 and the Bumper Cowboy Book, a Collins annual from 1955. Actually I didn't buy them, Colin spent the 30p to get me the Beano and he also gave me the Cowboy Book :D How good is that?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Phoenix wrote:I think too many were published at the time, which led inexorably to remaindered piles.
Which is strange, considering the "Dan leaving the Dandy" publicity stunt they had going on at the time. Such a stunt should have boosted sales of anything related to him, as fans try to prove that he's still popular and relevant. I guess everyone just saw right through it, given the timing of it (a few weeks before the 60th anniversary issue, in which, of course, he returned).

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

A leisurely afternoon spent reading MWOM 22. Ms Marvel replaces the Silver Surfer from No.24. Guardians of the Galaxy not returning for now.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Well, while Stephen had fun with the Bumper book and the Beano at the Falkirk Mart, I was lucky enough to pick up a dozen Commandos ranging over a 40 year period from 1971 to 2013. I also picked up 8 Lions which really threw Stephen and I for a loop. More about that tomorrow as they are going to be my next article.

I also got given two picture libraries from the 1950s. One was Max Bravo; Eagle of France and the other was a Kit Carson. I also did my bit to support small press and bought Bust from Dave Cook. Oh and I picked up two Beezers from the 1960s and four Alan Class books from the late 1970s. And I even stuck within my budget.

I think that the staff of the comic shop were most amused at the pair of us trying to figure out the artists in the Bunty comics that we found. We identified at least a couple of Matias Alonso credits, at least one Norman Lee and a load of Ian Kennedy art. And this is all from 1989 to 1991 Bunty which means that once I get the space, I will be buying a few more of them!

It was a great way to spend an afternoon.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!