Most generous ever free gift in a comic?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Michael Anden

Most generous ever free gift in a comic?

Post by Michael Anden »

These days a kid wouldn't look twice at a comic if it wasn't bagged in with a Nerf gun that could drop an elephant at thirty paces. But in simpler times, I was awed to get my 80s Eagle Space Spinner, apparently a cast-off from, 2000 AD's inaugural edition... but they knew I wouldn't know that. As far as my eight-year old mind was concerned, we were talking never-before seen, state of the art, space age technology.

Of course, there's a rumour that Battle Action Force comic a short while later bore a free action figure- but that's surely just fanciful heresay, as never could there really have been an occurrence of such awesomeness.

So what do you think has been the best ever gift in a comic?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Most generous ever free gift in a comic?

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Yogi and his Toy used to do some good ones in the very early 70s ( although the 10p price was closer to a Summer Special back then)...theyvput out a very well done miniature stage set I seem to recall.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Yes, we've had such a thread before, and I remember bringing up the Yogi Bear Theatre, which seemed a great gift at the time:

http://www.tonystrading.co.uk/pix/comic ... oy/032.jpg

Not so generous, but I also liked Yogi's Magic Paper which curled up in the hand and revealed your friends' secrets, and various other gifts in the comic. I was 27 years old! Not really, I was tiny.

I also always liked stickers, from Shiver and Shake's Glow Fun Stickers, to the 2000AD ones to stick on your arms, to that glossy Starlord badge, which made you an official Starlord Trooper.

Whoopee!'s Spooky Snap Cards were also good. And free rubber spookies always seemed extra special. Like the 'rave from the cave' bat that came with the 5th birthday issue of Whizzer and Chips, and the Super Shaking Skeleton that came with Monster Fun issue 3.

The Yogi Bear Theatre probably still wins. It would be good to see it now, to see just how impressive and generous it really was.

babington

Post by babington »

Yes, could we see the Yogi bear theatre please!

I think the Wham! Haggis Thrower has to be the funniest gift of all time, but no idea what the most generous would be... certainly think I was lucky growing up in the 70s, when getting a free gift with a comic was something really exciting because it only happened rarely, especially with Beano and Dandy.

Michael Anden

Post by Michael Anden »

Curious to see this Yogi theatre now, but Google images isn't giving me so much as a sniff. Anyone out there got a pic of it? By the way, I had no idea they made a CGI Yogi Bear movie. Did I miss a meeting?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The Beano and Dandy both gave away sticker albums occasionally - sometimes it would cost more to buy them separately than with the comic.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

For me, it was Sparky comics 1970 gift called "Flicker Pics" A catapult shaped disc holder where disc revolved between two holding pins. Picture of `Hungry Horace` was on the disc and could be seen to eat a pie when you spun it! Two sticky back peel off pictures (two per set) of "Puss and Boots" (Fighting mode) and "I Spy" (drawing gun) could be put over Horace to be `spun` both easily peel off to go back on greaseproof backing paper! Tremendous gift!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Hen Broon

Post by Hen Broon »

I always liked the Thunderclap's there are many and as i am a big fan of Oor Wullie my favourite one must be the one given free in Topper #31 i also like the Clickety Clickers given away in Beano comic #954.
Hope you like the pictures the third one is Yogi Bears Theatre unmade so does not look so inpressive
Attachments
topper #31 - 05.09.53 .jpg
beano #954 - 29.10.60.jpg
Yogi  #32.JPG

Bethanys grandad

Post by Bethanys grandad »

Look in comic had a free tv studio as it's first gifts, plus I'm sure in the early sixtys Bimbo comic had a tree house or island free gift, Victor also had some good free gifts of cars and planes model kits

Raven

Post by Raven »

Hen Broon wrote: the third one is Yogi Bears Theatre unmade so does not look so inpressive
Wow, it's great to see that again! The top left hand corner holds the strips to push out to fix the characters onto, to poke them in and out of the stage set. I remember it so well!
Last edited by Raven on 15 May 2016, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Bethanys grandad wrote:Look in comic had a free tv studio as it's first gifts, plus I'm sure in the early sixtys Bimbo comic had a tree house or island free gift, Victor also had some good free gifts of cars and planes model kits
And the mini cap guns were fun too.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

i was pleasantly surprised to see i had the whoopee spooky snap cards from iss 3 while i was looking through my whoopees a few weeks ago ,they are good ,i was too young to have got them 1st time around,also had the practical joke in iss 2.

Michael Anden

Post by Michael Anden »

Hen Broon wrote:I always liked the Thunderclap's there are many and as i am a big fan of Oor Wullie my favourite one must be the one given free in Topper #31 i also like the Clickety Clickers given away in Beano comic #954.
Hope you like the pictures the third one is Yogi Bears Theatre unmade so does not look so inpressive
Thanks for the theatre pic, Hen. Looks impressive enough to me- my imagination can fill in the blanks!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Those Beano `Clickers` are pretty rare Fellows Hen. You did very well to get them along with the presentation bag! Phil Shipman would be most interested in those!
A Face unclouded by thought.

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

Loved the Glup drink free with Cor Comic No.1, it was different, also the voucher for a free Cadbusys Moose bar with Knockout no.2 was pretty good. I always thought the IPC gifts were better the DCT ones especially the plastic cars and planes in the likes of Victor were like something out of a cracker and didn't float my boat.