What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by paw broon »

Phoenix, I have a copy of The Human Bat. Enjoyable nonsense, but then, I'm a fan of masked mystery men. Although a bit later than some of the other Bat type characters, it shows the popularity of the black clad, sometimes winged, masked heroes and villains on this side of the Atlantic, a number of whom predate Batman by some years.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Richard S. wrote:did you bid / win those 3000 Commando's then?
Yes I did. Paid today so hopefully they'll be here within the week which gives me time to work out an explanation to my Mrs!

I've told my 19 year old nephew who I used to buy 50-100 copies of Commando a year for much of his childhood as he loves them, and he can't wait to see them. Those comics may have had an influence on his career as he's currently in the army and stationed in the Falklands. He even said he found some old copies in the Army Library out there!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

paw broon wrote:Phoenix, I have a copy of The Human Bat. Enjoyable nonsense, but then, I'm a fan of masked mystery men. Although a bit later than some of the other Bat type characters, it shows the popularity of the black clad, sometimes winged, masked heroes and villains on this side of the Atlantic, a number of whom predate Batman by some years.
I'm reasonably sure that I was aware of at least the first of these two novels when I was at school, but at 1/6 each there is no way I could ever have afforded them. It took me a lot of walking to school to save up enough bus fares to squirrel together the 8d that I needed for Adventure and The Wizard on Tuesdays, The Rover and The Hotspur on Thursdays. I did have priorities. Unfortunately so did George Holdcroft, my third-year French teacher, so when he caught me reading under the desk the latest instalment of a Lanky Hutton serial in the issue of Adventure that I had bought on my way up to school, he seemed to think he was justified in confiscating it and then ripping it up. I mean 'Come On', it's not as if I didn't come near the top in his tests and exams, so I must have been multi-tasking, and I went on to get French as part of my degree, and I even got an Advanced Diploma in French many years later, which was a refresher course in the middle of my teaching career. What I learned from the Holdcroft incident was to make sure that whenever I felt it appropriate to separate one of my pupils from some possession or other, I would always return it at the end of the lesson. And the Adventure? I presume I reverted to my default position, which was to look distressed and stop people in Market Street to ask them for a penny for the toilet (the cubicles of course). I went home with a replacement Adventure, putting a couple of metaphorical fingers up to George Holdcroft. He was actually quite a fun guy so I didn't bear a grudge. I didn't forget it though!

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Picked up TV Comic #154 - the first Red Ray. :D

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Adam Eterno wrote:
Yes I did. Paid today so hopefully they'll be here within the week which gives me time to work out an explanation to my Mrs!

I've told my 19 year old nephew who I used to buy 50-100 copies of Commando a year for much of his childhood as he loves them, and he can't wait to see them. Those comics may have had an influence on his career as he's currently in the army and stationed in the Falklands. He even said he found some old copies in the Army Library out there!
Where the heck were they? The only GN that I saw out there was the Rick Random reprints. I went there twice. Once in 2005 and once in 2011. Jeepers, just realised that it is over 10 years since I first went there....
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:The only GN that I saw out there was the Rick Random reprints.
What is a GN, Col? This abbreviation is not listed in my copy (actually Andrew's) of The New Oxford Dictionary.
colcool007 wrote:I went there twice. Once in 2005 and once in 2011.
They didn't let the grass grow under your feet, did they? You were in Cyprus in 2009.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

GN = graphic novel

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:

Where the heck were they? The only GN that I saw out there was the Rick Random reprints. I went there twice. Once in 2005 and once in 2011. Jeepers, just realised that it is over 10 years since I first went there....
He's there now so I'll ask him. They've probably been taken out there since 2011!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

koollectablz wrote:GN = graphic novel
Thank you, koollectablz. It is now obvious why the abbreviation doesn't appear in Andrew's dictionary. It predates graphic novels.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Most of my time recently I have been buying 70/80s US DC/CHARLTON comics which I enjoy reading and at a £1 a copy from the charity shop they are in my favourite price range.
Today however spent £8 (gulp)on this book from a charity shop.
This relates to a favourite comic I had in the 40s.This is an excellent book which comic fans will already have but one that I have been hoping to find for some time.
I did like a Denis Gifford comic catalogue I saw at a carboot which had pages full of comic cover photos but it looked like it had been stored in a damp place as the first pages weren't very flat and for that reason I didn't like the £5 asking price and so I didn't bother buying it.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

This fine book has been discussed before, abacus, about a couple of years ago. Go to Retired IPC/Odhams/Fleetway titles, and then to Film Fun Facts.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Phoenix wrote:This fine book has been discussed before, abacus, about a couple of years ago. Go to Retired IPC/Odhams/Fleetway titles, and then to Film Fun Facts.
Well remembered Phoenix. .I found the article which you didn't mention was not under the general discussion heading.
For me the great thing about this book is the fact it concentrates on the artistic background detail in the comic strips plus the social conditions of the time.I remember when I used to read these comics I always took notice of the background detail and how attractive the women characters were portrayed in contrast to the clowning of the men characters.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

abacus wrote:I remember when I used to read these comics I always took notice of the background detail and how attractive the women characters were portrayed in contrast to the clowning of the men characters.
In the films in which the Film Fun characters used to appear, abacus, there was always at least one very attractive female star. The ones in the strip cartoons are simply the comic equivalents. Sales were brisk. Cinemas were busy.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

At the Manchester Film & Comic Con this last weekend, I got Lew Stringer's Brickman Begins and Gary Whitlock's Creatures of the Weirdieverse, both very nice!

Reviews etcetera will be done when I find a spare moment (I've heard they exist?).
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Bought Doctor Who Magazine 500 - from a McColls that doesn't normally sell it.